Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it me?

(39 Posts)
gracesmum Mon 27-May-13 10:13:02

I am having one of those mornings where I feel everyone is having a better time than me!!First mistake was that I made the mistake of going on facebook - where all the younger generation seem to be out and about with their friends, doing things worth photographing, going places, having FUN - and I can't summon up the energy to do any of it - even if I wanted to! Second mistake was to text DD and hope for a reply - possibly also out and ab out? When did life stop being fun? When did I run out of steam? And am I really just a miserable old git? It is a lovely morning, I am alive and well, my nearest and dearest are also alive and well - so can someone please --administer a kick up the you-know-where--give me a gentle prod not to be so down? sad

Oldgreymare Mon 27-May-13 10:18:41

gracesmum sending ((((hugs)))) NOT a kick or a prod ( you don't deserve either a kick or a prod). Is that grammatically correct? smile

mollie Mon 27-May-13 10:21:38

Well, if it's any help we're also at home, still in PJs, and wondering when (and why) life got so uneventful. It's Bank Holiday and we tend not to hit the spots to avoid the crowds ...

Hope your day gets better gracesmum. At least the sun is shining here...

j08 Mon 27-May-13 10:24:18

I know how you feel GM. Could you try to go somewhere that is "easy"? Have you got a National Trust place near you? You could probably get a nice lunch in their cafe and have a walk in the grounds. Or, if you are near the country, have lunch in the garden of a little pub? Or you could just ha ve a drive round in the countryside perhaps taking a picnic. You would feel you were doing something. It doesn't' have to match up to the young 'uns idea of fun. smile

Movedalot Mon 27-May-13 10:28:24

So sorry to hear that grace, not really like you is it? We are all entitlted to off days sometimes o I hope yours gets better. I am sure there are many people who are not having a good day either. I know an elderly lady in Stony Stratford who is always on Fb and mostly she is moaning about her lot although she seems to have lots of friends, just enjoys a good moan. I am sure if you knew her you would feel better as she seems to moan every day! flowers

vegasmags Mon 27-May-13 10:31:25

No, gracesmum, it's not you! There's something about Bank holidays, as if we are all officially supposed to be having fun and if we're not, there's something wrong with us. I can resonate with your feeling that all the younger ones are having a great time, and probably not giving you a moment's thought. It's wonderful to think that they are well and happy, as you say, but that counting your blessings thing doesn't always work. So sorry that you feel tired and that life is not much fun, but feelings pass and change and hopefully you will wake up tomorrow in a happier frame of mind. In the meantime, why not treat yourself to one or two nice things, even if it's just a bar of chocolate or a slice of cake or an afternoon nap.

Hopefully, this will make you smile. My only social engagement today, if you can dignify it by calling it that, is to take a friend's cat to the cattery for her. Having said that, I do find it rather soothing to chat to the pussies incarcerated there, along the lines of - Don't worry, your Mummy is coming soon. Hope you feel better soon gracesmum.flowers

kittylester Mon 27-May-13 10:40:50

gm (((hugs))) and flowers

My social engagements today involve going to the Dementia Unit to see my mum and to await the insults and then youngest brother is coming round to decide which homes we would like her to go to, if they have spaces.

Don't we all live exciting lives. grin

petra Mon 27-May-13 10:41:02

What are your friends doing? Maybe some of them are feeling the same and would love a call from you with an invite to meet up somewhere or invite them over to you.

gracesmum Mon 27-May-13 10:45:38

You are all SO right!! Thanks flowers

Tegan Mon 27-May-13 10:51:56

My neighbours always seem to have their kids round; mine stop by in passing or to drop the children off with me sometimes. I think it's because I don't like cooking and don't offer fantastic meals. I've spent the whole of the bank holiday washing clothes and working on the garden. When I'm not at work I seem to be doing house maintenance; it's like the Forth Bridge. Can't remember the last time I woke up and thought 'oh, what a nice day, what shall I do today?' Ten years ago I was constantly on the go, going to new places, learning new things. What went wrong? I sometimes think my house is like a millstone round my neck, but is too perfect in so many ways to move from. [sorry; having a feel sorry for myself moment]

Ella46 Mon 27-May-13 11:15:28

I love doing nothing on Bank holidays. Yesterday I sat outside all day reading the papers, and if there is a 'good' film on today, I shall slob on the sofa.

I remember days out, sitting in traffic, visiting 'fun parks' with the children, or shopping for meat, salads etc, in order to BBQ for crowds of friends and employees.

Enjoy these lazy days while you can sunshine

gracesmum Mon 27-May-13 11:17:31

Tegan flowers I think Vegas has got it just right - the "brainwashing" that surrounds Bank holidays/Christmas/New Year/birthdays/even retirement where you are led to believe everyone is having a wonderful family orientated/silver surfer time just means that those who are not, feel left out and isolated. Of course, as you have shown, not everybody is having a non-stop fun!! It's like the way work colleagues wish you "a great weekend" at the end of the working week. I used to think "Why? Washing, ironing, shopping and cooking - oh and on Sunday evening lesson planning and marking, what's great about it?"!!
End of feeling like Eeyore. Have spoken to DDs on phone and had a charming little conversation with DGS1 (3) so feeling very happy again.smile

Tegan Mon 27-May-13 11:40:13

Years ago we had our one and only car crash; the first brand new car we'd ever had and we stopped at some traffic lights on the way back from a Bank Holiday drive out to visit some friends who were camping in the Peak District. It was a hit and run but thankfully the dog [who was in the back of the car] was ok and the car wasn't a write off [as was first thought]. After that we never really bothered to venture forth at Bank Holidays, thinking that, if you wanted to go somewhere it was better to go when there ween't quite so many people having the same idea. My Bank Holiday is on the up; going to B&Q [hurrah]. Which will be swarming with like minded people. But I've got the 5th episode of Broadchurch to watch tonight [I sneaked in an extra episode after the S.O. went home last night]. I am soooo enjoying it smile. And it's still not raining. And I've found someone with a ferret who can sort out my rodent problem. Does life ever get any better grin?

Stansgran Mon 27-May-13 11:41:59

I have always disliked crowds and busy times so try to avoid Bank Holidays half term and August as best I can. Hell on earth was the waiting area at CDG with the Newcastle flight full of hyper children coming back from Eurodisney in August. Oddly enough the decorator and joiner and electrician are all happily beavering away today on the house. Like you Tegan its the Tay Bridge here but they are very quiet workers and keep making me cups of tea.

annodomini Mon 27-May-13 11:48:00

Yesterday, when I got in the car to go to the cinema, I turned on the ignition - nothing happened. I remembered that I had found the door not quite closed and realised that the interior light must have drained the battery. Friends came and picked me up so it wasn't until this morning that I called in the AA. Upshot is that I needed a new battery. Well, the old one had lasted as long as the car - 13 years - so I can't complain but my bank account isn't too healthy. hmm

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-13 12:04:08

Gracesmum I'm not sure whether your concern is that you aren't having fun, and would like to, or whether you're worried because you don't want to have fun any more.
If it's the former, can I remind you of the Agony Aunt's advice to the girl who complained she never went to any parties - 'Do you ever give any?' grin
If the latter, can I reassure you that it's perfectly ok at our stage of life, to do exactly as we wish. I generally find that days when I give in to what my mum used to refer to as 'disinclinitis', and spend the time slobbing out, as Ella so elegantly terms it,grin are followed by a renewed spurt of energy the next day sunshine

GillieB Mon 27-May-13 12:14:05

We are not really doing anything for the Bank Holiday, either. When we both retired we decided that we no longer needed to go out much at Bank Holidays, or, to be honest, weekends. At those times we avoid going anywhere where there are crowds - it's just not worth it, and we can go in the week when places are quieter and we will enjoy them more.

NannaB Mon 27-May-13 12:21:31

Being retired, I find that Bank Holidays do not mean anything. I am glad that the sun is shining for those who would normally be at work so they can enjoy their day off.

annsixty Mon 27-May-13 12:33:14

No gracesmum it isn't just you, your thoughts mirrored exactly my own. So mindful of advice on here I popped along to MandS simply food and bought "Dine in for £10" which of course includes a nice pud and I feel better already.

Ella46 Mon 27-May-13 12:39:05

@janeainsworth I've always wanted to be elegant grin

Galen Mon 27-May-13 12:59:51

gracesmum you are not an old git!
My neighbour is definitely one and you are nothing like him!

KatyK Mon 27-May-13 13:17:17

gracesmum I wouldn't take much notice of Facebook. Most folks only use it to say the good stuff about their lives. In our house we call it Facebrag. I'm not so sure everyone is having as much fun as they say they are. We have deleted our Facebook accounts as it was having a really bad effect on me. I'm not sure why you would have to tell the world that your life is fun if it really was (if that makes sense). There is an old saying 'believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear'. Now I think that makes me a miserable (and cynical) old git ! Try to enjoy your day.

storynanny Mon 27-May-13 14:49:16

Oh graces mum, I know how you feel!!! Just been to the beach for a cup of tea on my own as partner asleep, on nights, one son living in USA, 2 in London, parents 5 hours drive away, all my friends with their family or at work ...... And struggling with the "big talk" see my current post on money thread.
But, it's ok to have off days, I'm going to buy a big bar of chocolate and eat it all myself tonight in front of the telly.

annodomini Mon 27-May-13 15:35:55

I mistakenly thought that next weekend was the bank holiday so arranged to go south then to visit my DS2's family - after the NW get together, of course. Today I went to the garden centre to get some eggs - no I haven't gone off my rocker, the deli there sells the cheapest free range eggs in the area. The car park was chock-a-block and the checkouts had huge queues so I put off any decision about plants until sanity returns. A great many of the customers were retired people who, like me, can go any day!

shysal Mon 27-May-13 15:40:17

storynanny, have you tried the new Cadbury's Marvellous Creations chocolate bars? On the last Bank holiday I ate a large bar of the jelly popping candy version in one sitting! And very nice it was too. I always stay in alone at these times and thank my lucky stars that I am not in a crowd or traffic jam somewhere. I have been spending time pottering in the garden and sitting reading in the sun today. It is all too easy to feel depressed when alone at these times, but it is good to know that there are many people in the same boat.