Gransnet forums

Chat

Disability Badges

(46 Posts)
LizG Wed 12-Jun-13 09:27:31

I saw this item got a mention under 'stray dogs' and it made me wonder if I could ask for your thoughts on a matter?

Following my hip replacement which has gone slightly awry I am having troubles with walking uphill, getting in and out of a car and numerous other bits and pieces which are not relevant. We bought a Nissan Note car for me which is just perfect. Unfortunately when I visit a supermarket I cannot enter or exit my car easily because there is insufficient space between parking bays. I have regularly been trapped outside my car because someone has parked too close to me meaning I cannot manoeuvre my poor old legs back in and I have had to call my daughter from work in order to rescue me. If I park in a one remaining space to find I cannot open the car door to swing my legs out then I have to leave the supermarket. It is also very frustrating to see a number of unused disabled spaces.

Although I am not officially regarded as disabled both my doctor and my consultant were in support of my request to apply for a Disability 'Parking' Badge. My consultant even wrote accordingly. North Somerset Council refused the request on the grounds that I can walk over 200 yds. Hands up I can walk on the flat 1 mile and this I do daily with my dog. But, getting to town would mean a walk there and back of well over 1 mile and I could not bring the shopping back. I can't even sit in the bus if there were any because being 5'10" with a dicky hip means My legs won't fold up in busses. So I am left with either taxis which I can't afford or waiting until I can cadge a lift with my daughters. They then have to drive my car because I can't get into theirs.

I do not need this facility to park on the road or anywhere which might make it difficult for others in real need but that extra 'door opening' space would make it possible for me to act normally. I offered to return my bus pass in exchange for the badge because I can't use it. This damned hip has ruined my life as I knew it and I can't get help from any source.

Sorry to ramble on but I should appreciate your comments. I am not one to be unreasonable or knowingly to break the rules.

bluebell Fri 21-Jun-13 11:09:58

Anney - if you are turned down, you can PM me if you wish and I'll try and give you some advice

LizG Sat 22-Jun-13 06:56:17

Anneey that sounds very distressing for you. When you are disabled, as you obviously are, you shouldn't need further re-assessment, it is unnecessary and very costly. The stupid thing is in these days of cut backs they seem to be even more stringent when it comes to blue badges.

In fairness, right now my need is not great because I have had a steroid injection which has helped greatly but I know the problem will return and my case is so stupid. The supermarkets insist on blue badges to park in their disabled bays, I don't have one so unless they have wider bays I can't park at that supermarket but at least I can get around otherwise so am very lucky.

From what you have written it sounds as though you are in a wheelchair so how on earth can you not receive a card? Basically the system as it is now makes liars of us all as it doesn't pay to be honest. At your appeal, despite whether it is 'a good walking day' or not you must make sure it appears a bad day: sticks, crutches, wheelchair, etc. and I wish you every success. The whole system makes me angry - we have to jump through metaphorical hoops just to obtain a 'parking badge'.

susieb755 Sat 22-Jun-13 22:10:01

Anneey i am surprised they assessed you - I live in Dorset - you apply online and get the doctors agreement - for example I look fine, look like I walk fine, whereas due to my muscle disease, it is painful to walk, and i get very tired , even on short distances, cant carry or lift heavy thing slike shopping bags, and fall over a lot.....but I would 'pass' a walking test

anneey Wed 26-Jun-13 17:40:08

Thank you members, for your helpful comments. (I am a new member by the way) I will keep you informed.

anneey Wed 03-Jul-13 17:29:41

As expected I failed my assessment. I have obtained previous Consultants notes and MRI results, which I will send with an appeal letter. They are so strict now, I am not the only one having the same experience. Walking exacerbates my problem.You can imagine the disappointment, especially after having a Blue Badge for 3 years. Do please let me know if you have any advice, regarding my appeal.

annodomini Wed 03-Jul-13 17:43:56

Have you thought about asking the CAB for some help with your appeal? It's the kind of thing I'm often asked to do.

bluebell Wed 03-Jul-13 18:29:43

Anneey - I'm away from home at the moment but will PM you when I get home with some references which may help

anneey Wed 03-Jul-13 18:57:37

Thank you Bluebell. I appreciate any advice.

anneey Wed 03-Jul-13 19:02:56

Thank you annodomini. Trouble is I only have another 3 weeks to appeal. I haven't dealt with the CAB. Can I speak on the phone to them, do you know?

anneey Fri 30-Aug-13 17:21:10

rather fed up, I have failed my appeal assessment for renewing my blue badge. The rules have changed big time. I consider it cruel taking away your b.b. after having it for 3 yrs. I gave copies of consultants letters.
I have written to them, as the assessor stated that I walked at a normal pace. In fact I walk slowly, partly due to pain, and it is physically impossible to walk at a normal pace. I also could not manage without my walking stick. ( I have Kypho Scoliosis)

Galen Fri 30-Aug-13 17:47:40

They have to take any available aids into consideration. I think the criteria are the same as mobility allowance (now replaced by pip)
This is that you cannot walk more than 50metres without SEVERE DISCOMFORT.

Galen Fri 30-Aug-13 17:49:26

If this is the case pm me if I can help. If there's one thing I do know its DLA, mobA and ESA criteria. Also how old are you and do you receive mobility allowance?

simtib Fri 30-Aug-13 18:00:40

There are a few cars that have a sliding drivers door, which may make getting in and out of the car in tight spaces easier.

bikergran Fri 30-Aug-13 18:15:47

and I think we all know!! some one who has a BB that really does not need it!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry

LizG Fri 30-Aug-13 19:08:58

I am horrified that you have failed your appeal anneey and really feel for you, things are unlikely to have changed for you since you had your blue badge so how on earth can they justify their actions.

As the OP I have gone quiet on this subject because following a steroid injection things have temporarily but greatly improved. Right now I could not justify a blue badge but three months ago it was a totally different matter although even then I could walk 50 metres just couldn't get in and out of my car. Mind you reading back has made me realise I have had a pretty good summer painwise smile. My sister has severe RA and receives mobility allowance I hope they don't mess about with her blue badge as it is her lifeline.

Sometimes I would like to waive a magic wand over those who make the decisions so that they could suffer the problems we have to put up with
There would be different results then!

Galen Fri 30-Aug-13 20:02:25

I do make decisions and I suffer! Don't tar us all with the same brush!

LizG Fri 30-Aug-13 22:08:47

Oops sorry Galen. I wish that You had dealt with my case at least then I know I should have been treated fairly. Mind you given the situation now perhaps they were right all along. My last paragraph was unnecessary but I have thought it regularly when I feel doctors, consultants and decision makers don't seem to be taking me seriously. Incidentally I didn't realise that's what you do blush

Galen Fri 30-Aug-13 22:15:58

Forgiven

LizG Fri 30-Aug-13 22:24:39

Phew flowers smile

Humbertbear Sat 31-Aug-13 09:10:39

I find this scheme to be very unfair. At the moment I am more disabled than my friend who has a blue badge. She takes me out in her car with her badge. However as my condition is considered to be temporary My doctor will not support my application despite the fact that I cannot walk more than 25 metres and am in pain 24/7. We even had to cancel our holiday because I cannot walk.