Gransnet forums

Chat

Carole Middleton

(72 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 23-Jul-13 17:13:34

Although I'm not particularly a monarchist, can't help feeling pleased for Catherine's mother ..... she's gone from a council house in Southall to being the grandmother of a future monarch.

Not bad !crown

FlicketyB Tue 23-Jul-13 20:19:02

An awful lot of class consciousness in this thread, what does it matter what one's antecedents are except for historic interest. I can see no more reason for parading one's humble background than boasting of blue blood and aristocratic connections.

Similarly I found the coarse and ugly jokes about Mrs Middleton offensive (not ones made here, but in the public arena but referred to here). She and her husband are a successful business couple whose daughter met and married someone she met at university. Perfectly normal, lots of us have done that. Why do they constantly have to have silly social comparisons made just because their SiL is a prince?. They have made their own lives, judge them on that.

absent Tue 23-Jul-13 20:45:42

FlicketyB Class consciousness in a thread concerning the family of a newborn prince – whatever next?

Ariadne Tue 23-Jul-13 21:50:36

Well, yes, now you mention it, it is odd, since the whole monarchy bit is based on huge class distinctions, isn't it?

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 21:59:52

Flick - sorry you simply can't get away with that - this baby only matters because of his antecedents! That's what monarchies are all about and why I am a proud republican and it explains all the anti Carole Middleton 'jokes'

whenim64 Tue 23-Jul-13 22:01:04

Fresh on Twitter:
Tomorrows headlines
GUARDIAN: It's a boy!
TELEGRAPH: It's a boy!
DAILYMAIL: Has Kate lost the baby weight yet?

merlotgran Tue 23-Jul-13 22:09:31

Have the Guardian and the Telegraph only just heard?

Ana Tue 23-Jul-13 22:16:39

grin Merlot!

FlicketyB Tue 23-Jul-13 22:33:31

I wasn't talking about the baby I was talking about the way people talk about the Middletons.

Deedaa Tue 23-Jul-13 22:35:40

I started life in a house in Southall that we owned. Sadly I don't seem to have progressed quite as far as the Middletons, but you never know wink

Nonu Sat 27-Jul-13 09:52:23

being advertised on Face Book , new baby range by Middletons,

They haven't let the grass grow then ??

Strike while the iron is hot .

grin

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-13 12:16:49

I don't think they have much choice on the merchandising front. It's a competitive world and they can't let the grass grow whatever people may think about them cashing in.

sunseeker Sat 27-Jul-13 12:28:04

I was born in a council house and left school when I was 16. Through hard work my DH and I ended up with a nice house in what estate agents call a "sought after location". When someone suggested that we were now "middle class" I immediately responded that as we had to work to live that made us working class. Never had time for people who are caught up in what "class" anyone belongs to. That sort of thinking belongs in the past

j08 Sat 27-Jul-13 13:19:19

To be absolutely honest, I always think Carole looks a bit rough. shock The dad looks genuinely posh. And nice.

Stansgran Sat 27-Jul-13 14:13:38

Well they are descended from working class in the NE you know. What is the matter with people that they only admire lottery winners not people who work their socks off? A bit rough!!!

j08 Sat 27-Jul-13 15:18:40

I was talking purely about her looks. I don't know any lottery winners. hmm

j08 Sat 27-Jul-13 15:20:02

Kate, on the other hand, sounds posher than William.

shysal Sat 27-Jul-13 15:39:45

I did think that Carole's accent was rather affected when speaking to the press about the baby. Perhaps the whole family took elocution lessons when Kate began seeing Will!

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-13 17:45:23

As cabin crew, Carole Middleton will probablly have had years of piling on the slap at 3am and then lazing in the sun by a pool down route before the return flight. My DIL is 44 and mindful of the toll that years of high altitude flying takes on the skin.

Short haul flights are just the opposite.

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-13 17:46:29

DH has just said that Carole Middleton looks 'Bloody good for her age' He probably thinks she's 70! grin

j08 Sat 27-Jul-13 19:57:28

She does look good. Don't get me wrong. They are all three of them (the Middleton women) nice looking. Carole just looks as if she's been there and did a bit too much of it perhaps.

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-13 20:01:09

I like the look of Michael Middleton. He's so quiet and happy to stand back and let the women in his family take centre stage. I can imagine William enjoying a pint and a chat with his father in law.

Sel Sun 28-Jul-13 00:03:23

j08 gringrin trust you!

Ariadne Sun 28-Jul-13 09:10:41

Sometimes, jo8 you are spot on! grin

gillybob Sun 28-Jul-13 11:12:39

Not sure about that Merlot are normal people multi millionaires? With a daughter who just happened to marry the second in line to the throne? hmm

Nonu Mon 29-Jul-13 10:31:49

Rumour has it that the Middletons might be made Earl & Countess of Fairfax.

It is not April 1st , is it ?

If true , it is plain silly and OTT , IMO