Gransnet forums

Chat

Carole Middleton

(71 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 23-Jul-13 17:13:34

Although I'm not particularly a monarchist, can't help feeling pleased for Catherine's mother ..... she's gone from a council house in Southall to being the grandmother of a future monarch.

Not bad !crown

Ariadne Tue 23-Jul-13 17:18:45

From nouveau riche to ancient riche circles, one might say.

(A friend of mine, quoting her own mother "Well, my dear, SHE may be nouveau riche but WE are anciens pauvres.")

Gorki Tue 23-Jul-13 17:25:35

Quite honestly I think I would rather be in a council house (maybe not in Southall !) with the anonymity it brings.

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 17:32:16

I just love thinking about all those 'friends' of the royals who made fun of her 'doors to manual' and all that etiquette rubbish - who got the last laugh ? Shame about Pippa though - she's just a waste of space!

j08 Tue 23-Jul-13 17:37:47

I think it's great! Kid's done well.

Pippa's alright. She's like the opposite number to Harry.

Grannyeggs Tue 23-Jul-13 18:04:15

Me too jingle, it's the press that talk it all up, the Middletons, including Pippa, come out as a balanced family, taking it in their stride.crown

merlotgran Tue 23-Jul-13 18:13:18

How nice that they're not being sidelined like former in-laws. Kate comes from a loving, close family and William is obviously very fond of them. This lucky baby won't be brought up not having a clue how 'normal' people spend their lives.

Ariadne Tue 23-Jul-13 18:24:15

True, Merlot!

Tegan Tue 23-Jul-13 18:25:58

I don't think the Middletons lifestyle is normal compared to the majority of people in this country, though sad. I mean, they might be commoners but, if they are then I don't know where on the scale that puts me confused?

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 18:32:25

I've always thought the queen was exceptionally selfish in the Christmas arrangements - anyone marrying in could never spend Christmas with their families ever again. It's interesting that this changed last Christmas and I hope that will continue - its not as though the royal family are role models for happy families is it? Why am I posting on this thread? Oh I know I'm killing time before dinner and daren't put the TV or radio on

Sel Tue 23-Jul-13 18:33:09

Tegan they are pretty normal in these parts - I have much admiration for them, they've worked to get where they are and continue to do so. A good role model.

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 18:34:22

Pippa is an airhead - just trading on connections - I mean that book and now her Waitrose connection!! Get a proper job woman!! Although of course your sister never did!

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 18:38:48

I think normal in this context has to mean more than in 'these parts' - Tegan is right, their life style isn't normal in the sense of what the majority of us experience - it's just that they weren't well - connected - as someone haughtily said of Michael Hesseltine once 'he's the sort if chap that had to buy his own furniture'

Sel Tue 23-Jul-13 18:39:31

Obviously people have persuaded her she's a brand. Why blame her for taking advantage of that?

Sel Tue 23-Jul-13 18:41:43

bluebell you're right, they weren't well connected. I would have thought you would have admired that.

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 18:48:36

Sel - I wasn't passing a judgement on that - I was trying (possibly clumsily) to differentiate between different types of normal - financially they have done well and are in the top bracket there and not normal but didn't have connections which made them normal ie more like the rest if us in that respect.

bluebell Tue 23-Jul-13 18:49:34

Time for a wine

Tegan Tue 23-Jul-13 18:49:51

I do admire them for what they have achieved [interestingly we were at Kedlestone Hall the other week and were chatting to someone about how many royal people married rich American women;think Duke of Devonshire etc... one had class and one had money]. What I object to is the media telling me how normal they are because, by my standards they're not. I don't like the pretence [and it makes me feel like a peasant sad].

merlotgran Tue 23-Jul-13 18:52:52

They've worked hard for their success and they are showing that they know how to deal with it. They are an elegant and discreet couple who will take it all in their stride.

Galen Tue 23-Jul-13 18:52:58

I am a peasant and happy to be one!

Sel Tue 23-Jul-13 18:56:49

bluebell grinwine agreed

Galen Tue 23-Jul-13 19:17:55

That baby is too warmly wrapped!

Tegan Tue 23-Jul-13 19:31:04

Oh don't say that blush. I nearly killed my daughter by putting her outside in a pram wrapped up in blankets on a warm day; I knew nothing about babies and just thought they needed to be kept warm. Thankfully the midwife came to visit me and said 'what on earth are you doing?'. I still freak out at the memory. Got a bit blubby again seeing them with the baby.

JessM Tue 23-Jul-13 19:51:16

hides him from prying eyes galen prior to official photo shoot. But he does look like a white baby. Bang goes the "muddled him up with the Patels baby" news story. shucks. back to everyone excited or cynical bit. as you were.
tegan my friends, both experts in the physics of heat loss, took the "dont over wrap" advice to heart, despite their theoretical knowledge that small things cool down relatively faster etc I popped in when baby was a week old. Cool august evening. Baby in vest and nappy. Blue to knees and elbows. Suggested that maybe another layer and a cuddle were in order hmm

Nelliemoser Tue 23-Jul-13 20:16:57

This not over wrapping idea seems to rely on every household being able to afford to keep at least one room in their house at 18 C. In a harsh winter or even on a cold drab summer day that is very expensive. We came home from a short holiday last June to find our living room was just 13C.

That piece of health information should come with alternative advice for those in fuel poverty, poorly insulated and non centrally heated homes.

My mum and MIL both used to talk about how cold their babies got in winter.