Gransnet forums

Chat

On the edge of the coffee

(66 Posts)
thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:37:51

Yes, I know that's a strange phrase. DH has his "I'll just humour her" look on too. The thing is, I decided to put some really lovely creamy cream (none of your bloody white stuff) in my post-archery coffee when we got back half and hour or so ago. After I'd drunk it (topped up a few times), I says to 'im I says: Coffee tastes different with cream.
DH: "Creamier."
Me: Well yes, but it's not that; it's something on the edge, but I don't know if it's the edge of the coffee or the edge of the cream.
DH: Silence but dons humour her look.
Me: Sniff (huffily). Some people just don't understand.

So... um... does anyone?

He's on the G&T (Fentimans tonic, which he says is like gin only without the alcohol – and he gives me the patient look!) wink

Just thought I'd ask.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:44:54

Coffee with cream is abhorrent. Why for goodness sake? Just drink ovaltine. hmm

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:49:21

I did in Thailand. Iced. Made, in part, with condensed milk because they don't do milk really in Thailand. It was very refreshing. Because it was made with sweetened condensed milk the first thing I learned to say in Thai was Don't put sugar in it, otherwise they would have ladled in a dessertspoonful!
(It's polite in Thai to be that blunt because they have an 'I'm being polite tag' on the end. Clever, huh?)

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:50:07

You wouldn't like Irish coffee then, jings. That's good. More for us smile

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:50:53

But you clearly don't understand about the edges either. Hey ho.

Ana Sat 07-Sep-13 18:50:57

Iced Ovaltine....? shock

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:51:22

Yes. 'Twas good.

LizG Sat 07-Sep-13 18:51:31

Most definitely thatbags it is a treat, a desire, rich, a pick you (me) up, a moment(s) to dream. There is nothing quite like coffee with a very thick slick of cream on top and no need for the whisky underneath brew.

The only thing that comes anywhere close is a Cornish icecream with a dollop of clotted on top or is that perhaps taking matters too far?

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:52:30

I've never made it myself but had it for breakfast most days there along with sticky rice (sometimes with pork, sometimes with coconut milk) wrapped in a banana leaf.

LizG Sat 07-Sep-13 18:53:24

Goodness it took me so long to type my message (busy drooling) that hundreds of replies beat me to it smile

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:53:41

Wouldn't the Irish coffee have some whiskey as well though?

#makeallthedifference

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:54:49

No, I don't think that's taking things too far at all, LizG. In fact, I'm planning to eat a fruit souffle with both cream and Ben&Jerry's cooki dough ice-cream some time this coming week. Just to test the flavour combo, natch! wink

Sadly, I don't think we can get real Cornish anything up here. Don't blame them for scoffing it all themselves.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:56:18

Ice cream with chantilly cream. Yum! smile

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 18:57:28

But this talk of deliciousness (or otherwise, jnigs wink ), is beside the POINT!

Doesn't anyone know what I mean be the edge of the coffee or the edge of the cream?

(PS I think jnigs suits you better; may stick with that)

Ana Sat 07-Sep-13 18:57:41

Ooh yes! You can get that cream in Tesco's but they haven't had any in for ages...sad

Ana Sat 07-Sep-13 18:59:02

I'm trying, thatbags, but it's no use - it could be either! confused

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:59:59

Do you stir the cream in?

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:01:20

that was a question for tatbaghs.

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 19:15:20

I can't remember. I think so. It wasn't floaty cream. It only floats if I whip it first cos I can't be bothered with that back of the teaspoon malarky.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:18:20

I will make a cup tomorrow, add some of the Sunday Lunch pud cream, and try very hard to notice edges. smile

#research

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:18:48

I haven't got any whiskey. Or whisky. sad

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 19:22:55

Thank you, jnisg smile

absent Sat 07-Sep-13 19:26:45

No, in answer to your initial question bags, I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain in some other way?

whenim64 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:34:37

I think I get you, bags. Freshly percolated coffee that has a zing to it, and cream that is better for being there on the coffee. Luxury. For me it has to have a spoonful of demerara sugar, too. I nearly didn't have that coffee with condensed milk after my first Thai meal, but was so glad I did. Gorgeous!

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 19:36:44

I can try, absent. There was an after-taste I couldn't quite define. It had a sharpness, a tang, which could have been from the bitterness inherent in coffee (though we go for a relatively mild no.3 Colombian or Ethiopean) or could have been something the coffee 'did to' the cream giving it just a hint of what you taste in sour cream. It was no more than a hint though.