Gransnet forums

Chat

Is anyone else glad it's over?

(151 Posts)
absent Fri 27-Dec-13 04:41:33

I'm not complaining about Christmas. Absentdaughter and her husband were faultless and generous hosts, the children behaved impeccably and appeared to love all their presents. Just somehow it all seemed a bit unreal and I just had that feeling that it was all too much for too long. I am not doing a retrospective bah humbug but I'm just relieved to get back to what passes for normal in my life.

Am I the only miserable and ungrateful old bat on Gransnet?

Stansgran Fri 27-Dec-13 09:39:10

I love doing the whole Christmas thing but it's the travelling. I really worry that my invitation to Christmas means that they have to travel in dreadful weather conditions and my heart is in my mouth until they arrive. I prefer to travel to them thinking that it wouldn't matter if we were wiped out on the roads ! Cheery aren't i? I can't give candles to people as presents either. Absolutely absurd. Are they really going to burn the house down?

lucyinthesky Fri 27-Dec-13 09:40:37

Nice, mollie and * mamie* My 'new' OH s French and lives in Paris and for the past 4 years I have always left him 'home alone' to come back to spend Xmas with my DDs (generally just DD1) but next year I am already planning to spend it with him and away from all other commitments.

sunseeker Fri 27-Dec-13 09:46:09

When DH was alive we usually had a fairly quiet Christmas, just the two of us, visiting family and friends but happy to return to a peaceful home. My first Christmas without him I spent with my brother and his family in Australia - 9 not counting boyfriends! I found it all overwhelming - too many people, too much going on.

So I now spend Christmas Day alone and visit family and friends on Boxing Day once again returning to a quiet serene home. Yes there are a few tears on Christmas morning but that passes and I can relax and enjoy the day in my own way (hope that doesn't sound too much like Scrooge!)

Thistledoo Fri 27-Dec-13 09:56:42

Glad its over, did have a nice quiet lunch as family was away with DIL's family. DD joined us but was a bit down because her little girl was away with her daddy in England. Nevertheless we enjoyed telly.
Going off to the sales today to spend a couple of vouchers, hope its not too mad. Look forward to things getting back to normal. DS and DIL back to work today, Ds on call over the Hogmanay. I just look forward to the days getting longer and planning a holiday.

glammanana Fri 27-Dec-13 10:12:25

I quite enjoy the run-up to Christmas and this year it went rather smoothly really,we had Christmas Lunch with DD and children and found a garage open to pump up back tyre of DGSs new bike (Halfords you let yourself down there on your pre check) but that was the only near mishap.
Home here for 6ish pj's on and small buffet for us whilst watching Downton.
Two birthdays to be celebrated to-day and NYs eve for DGSs so family gatherings for those, otherwise everything went well and getting back to normal before celebrations start again next week for New Year which will be peaceful for us.

Grannyknot Fri 27-Dec-13 10:25:19

mamie I agree with you wholeheartedly. We ran away a couple of years ago to Barcelona over Christmas, and (despite the shops of course) it felt much more 'low key' than it does here in London. There definitely is a lot of hype about Christmas generally in the UK, hard not to get caught up in it.

It was strange Skyping family in Durban, South Africa, and seeing everyone in skimpy vests and shorts sweltering in the heat, jumping in the pool, or on the beach and because of the heat, not that bothered about eating a hot meal. Durbanites tend to barbecue on Christmas Day with lots of salads.

We did manage to get a good walk in yesterday in the late afternoon sunshine, but if I am honest and not "talking it up" Christmas doesn't really do it for me. Too much fuss and build up. We meet with our families at lots of different times during the course of a year.

MaggieF Fri 27-Dec-13 10:47:40

Lovely to talk to my son and family in USA over the Christmas period on Skype. We looked at pictures on Flickr and I can't help but wish I was there in person to see the grandchildren open their presents! My other son and his wife were with us over the Christmas period, so that was just lovely, so now, I am trying to get back to normality and to count my blessings. I had such a busy time in the run-up to Christmas that I must try and convince myself, that a bit of lolling around on the sofa and a few food treats are OK. Back on the diet soon....

ninathenana Fri 27-Dec-13 10:54:29

Was there something special about the last two days can't say I noticed.
DD spared us 1hr with the DGSx2 to open presents Christmas morning. SiL didn't think it worth him coming!!
They then went home to be with his family. They are coming for lunch on New Years day. SiL is honouring us with his presence too.

nightowl Fri 27-Dec-13 11:01:43

Glad I'm not the only one feeling a distinct lack of Christmas spirit. The stupid thing is I was lucky enough to see all my family and if asked I would say that I love Christmas. But this morning I was awake at 6 ruminating about various things that have really upset me. Can't seem to count my blessings at the moment. I feel like smashing a few plates instead. [bah humbug] and [grumpyoldwoman] emoticon.

Tegan Fri 27-Dec-13 11:16:10

Same here. Just had a phone call telling me about an incident at my ex in laws yesterday that has infuriated me. I reached a point with them, myself that, at one time I asked to be able to stay at home but my son was upset and wanted me to go with them, so I relented. One good thing is that I'd been feeling a lot of nostalgia for the family Christmases I used to have with them, and I've now remembered all the bad bits. I hate people embarrassing others and putting them on the spot, especially when that person is not a family member and is out of their comfort zone. Grrr. [When people come to my house I don't expect them to put up with the Spanish Inquisition therefore don't expect it elsewhere]

Flowerofthewest Fri 27-Dec-13 11:19:16

Still have 20 coming tomorrow for buffet. Just my children, partners and their offspring. Feeling tired thinking about it. Regretting organising it. Still I have a cystoscopy to look forward to on New Years Eve Yippeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Grannyknot Fri 27-Dec-13 12:25:34

Wince flowers of the west for the NYE appointment.

I've felt slightly guilty this year for not offering to have the whole family caboodle here but it has worked out well because I've had a quiet time. Given that I work full time at 64 I think I deserve a rest when the holidays come!

Songbird9 Fri 27-Dec-13 12:48:34

All fell apart for me, so, yes, glad it's over ! No phone calls from the children and Grandchildren, lunch out Christmas Day and Boxing Day were cancelled, and bad news from a friend whos' GrandDaughter has a brain tumour, thinking about my Daughter who has chemo coming up.

So, all in all, it was get up, watch TV, eat, sleep, watch TV eat sleep lol Together with the stormy weather not a good time, but hey, the daffodil bulbs are showing even though they are in for a shock later !!!

Sorry to moan, but I did get very depressed

Flowerofthewest Fri 27-Dec-13 12:55:20

Thanks Grannyknot! wince indeed. Used to it now though after 2.1/2 years of 6 monthly cam

LizG Fri 27-Dec-13 13:12:27

Think you are allowed a moan songbird hope 2014 improves greatly for you flowers

NfkDumpling Fri 27-Dec-13 13:16:58

So sorry it all went T*t's up Songbird. It sounds as if you have every right to feel depressed. flowers

Natsnan Fri 27-Dec-13 13:40:26

So pleased that it's not just me! So sorry for any of you that have had problems/alone etc, and feel guilty because there's no real reason for me not really getting into the Christmas spirit. My SIL doesn't really help as he never want to join in anyway, and usually it doesn't 't bother me but this year everything seems to get me down. Must be my age smile. DH has got the cruise brochure out so planning a holiday will hopefully cheer me up. Oh dear, what a grumpy old woman I've become!! Sorry!!!

LibraChick Fri 27-Dec-13 13:53:47

I gave my ex husband, prezzies to give to our gc and he said daughter wouldn't take them. Have sent text messages, but nothing back. Feel terribly hurt. This has been gong on since 26 June 2011, when my daughter beat the hell out of me. Because SIL called to say she was lying on floor drunk & could we go over. Wished id never gone over that day, but hey ho hindsight is a wonderful thing. I have cried my eyes out since Christmas Day.

rockgran Fri 27-Dec-13 13:57:11

Librachick you make any problems I have with my family seem totally insignificant. Hug

Lona Fri 27-Dec-13 14:04:56

songbird and Librachick I really feel for you both, I do hope things get better. flowers

Natsnan Fri 27-Dec-13 14:13:26

Libra chick (((((hugs)))))

janeainsworth Fri 27-Dec-13 14:22:14

I love the Christmas message of peace and goodwill to all men and I am sorry that so many GNers seem to have missed out this year.
We have had our share of sad Christmases too but like Aka I think a Mid-winter Festival is fundamentally important in the rhythm of the seasons. (Sorry if that's not what you meant Aka)
I ignore the media hype - watch very little TV anyway - send cards and give presents to those I want to, and don't feel under pressure to do otherwise.
I like cooking and entertaining so I love doing the dinner.
My children are scattered and I just accept some years I will see them and some I won't. It really doesn't matter.
But I'm also a routine person and am glad when things are back to normal.

LibraChick Fri 27-Dec-13 14:32:21

Thank you ladies. Not doing this next year.

LibraChick Fri 27-Dec-13 14:38:05

Sorry about your news songbird. Hugs

hummingbird Fri 27-Dec-13 14:54:41

Loved it all, but yes, rather glad to be settling back into routine. You need these busy times to make you appreciate the normal, dull times, hey?

So sorry (and lots of hugs) for all the grans whose Christmas didn't turn out well. flowers