Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's Extended Extension.

(1001 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 21-Jan-14 14:14:10

This is now open for cakes and coffee and hot buttered toast. I am donating the new batch of marmalade. Enjoy.

Charleygirl Tue 21-Jan-14 22:12:40

I used to do a lot of Scottish dancing as a child and teenager and we entertained in a local psychiatric hospital. I love the music but my dancing days are well over.

numberplease Wed 22-Jan-14 02:12:39

I hope that tortoiseshell kitten has turned up by now Soop, you`ve got me worrying as well. It`s hubby`s 70th birthday today, well, yesterday now, and we couldn`t finish off his cake, so have brought it to the kitchen, but it won`t go very far, so hope there aren`t too many folk here at the moment. I don`t like the fondant icing, so peeled mine off and put it on my plate, and put said plate on the floor till I deigned to move it, looked down, and saw Mia just finishing it off! I`m now worried that she`ll make herself ill with all that sugar, didn`t think cat`s liked sweet stuff.

Charleygirl Wed 22-Jan-14 09:07:51

My Tara will try any food that is not supposed to be for her! I cooked spag bol last night, left a little on my plate, put the plate down and 2 minutes later Tara had wiped the plate clean. She is quite partial to curry also. It makes a change from the "hard" food she gets every day, recommended by the vet for her stomach problems. At least she does not sniff and walk away, expecting a different menu within 10 minutes, she loves it.

soop I do hope that the little tortoiseshell turns up today.

thatbags Wed 22-Jan-14 09:21:45

Bringing in a plate of apricot flapjack and a large pot of fresh coffee. I rarely need comfort food but I do this morning because parenting can be hard. And breathe...

ffinnochio Wed 22-Jan-14 11:07:56

Thanks B. Just in from a drizzly, grizzly and muddy walk. I'll take a slice and a mug to the fire. Ahhhhhh .... smile

My offering ~ twigs of budding japonica for the table. If left in water for long enough they will produce delicate white flowers. Strange that, because when left on the shrub they are the usual deep apricot/soft red colour. This has happened every year. Something in the water...?

AlieOxon Wed 22-Jan-14 11:37:05

Interesting...must try this.

Have a little pot of tete-a-tete daffs for the windowsill.

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 14:23:55

bags Thank you for the flapjacks. Are you being tested? Sounds very much like it. smile

ffinnochio The japonica will look lovely in my old pot vase. An early sign of better days to come.

Charleygirl and number ...still no sign of Tortoiseshell kitten. If whatever it was that attacked Rory, has also hurt her, we may not see her again. MacSporran is more optimistic.

I watched the Andy Murray v Roger Federer match this morning. Andy made a mighty effort to match the magic of Roger. Sadly, he was not able to master him on this occasion.

We've enjoyed an early Burns lunch at the local village school. There are just eight pupils. It was a treat to sit and talk and be served by the children. The atmosphere in the school was joyful. Each child had written a witty poem, in "the style of Burns" and very good they were too. We had a photo taken, which will be pinned on the visitor notice board. sunshine

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 14:33:29

Nellie did you enjoy choir practice? Bet you were in fine voice after half a dozen Champagne cocktails. wink

Icealittle Good to see you again. Gagagran the piano is yours to play whenever the mood takes you. Your recital was much appreciated.

kittylester Wed 22-Jan-14 14:42:49

Hi soop and everyone.

Do you think Alie will mind if I just borrow her chaise for a while. DD and the little ones have gone, I've dashed round and tidied up and now I need a sit down with a peaceful, soothing view. brew

The japonica and daffs are a lovely touch. flowers

Anyone like some tea? I've brought in a mountain of meringues I made with the left over egg whites from the creme brulee we had last night. The meringues are swirly pink, crisp on the outside but gooey on the inside and exceptionally good for you especially sandwiched with whipped cream. I've brought some of that too! grin

I do hope the kitten returns soon soop

Talk of Burns Night made me go a bit soppy - DH proposed after a Burns supper only 5 weeks after we met. blush As you can imagine, he had had a drop or two!

If I drop off, can someone make sure I'm awake by 3.15 as I have to take DH's cat to the vet to be 'done'.

kittylester Wed 22-Jan-14 14:43:29

DS's cat - not DH's, or that would be my cat, wouldn't it?

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 14:55:18

kitty dear, the meringues will be placed on the plate together with bags flapjacks. Plenty of clotted cream in the fridge. Kettle on the boil.

Well, by now, the cat will no doubt have sensed that something mildly unpleasant is about to happen. It's a good thing that, unlike humans, animals don't sit around for days on end fretting about a wee op. Rory made a very swift recovery after he was "done". From thereon he lost his macho image, and became really sweet natured overnight. grin

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 15:00:03

Can you believe that he likes having kisses planted on his head! Rory, that is. wink There was a time, long ago, when I had to wear wellies in order to approach him with his dish of food. Why? Because as I turned to walk away, he would lash out and try to pounce on my feet. I imagine he did so because he had been living the life of a predator and my feet represented prey. shock

Lona Wed 22-Jan-14 15:07:39

Hi soop,I would love (in fact I need) some of bag's apricot flapjack and coffee. Those meringues sound rather nice too!

Your school lunch sounds delightful, I can't believe there are only eight pupils.

bags I'm sure you are parenting to a pretty high standard and the beautiful Minibags will be a credit to you.
If she isn't, just blame Mr bags wink

I'm going to sit quietly in the corner and listen to the chat. Feeling very emotional at the moment (dd) and it's so soothing in here.

LizG Wed 22-Jan-14 15:25:55

How strange I didn't spot the portal to this extension yesterday, looks as though I missed a good opening. Do your neighbours mind you building these extensions soop and hopefully we aren't blocking their light.

Apricot flapjacks sound delicious, I think you clever people should start your own TV baking programme: Virtual Superchefs.

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 15:27:57

Lona Why are you feeling fragile? Please stay as long as you wish. You are always most welcome. sunshine

Gagagran Wed 22-Jan-14 15:33:11

Soop I will report for ivory tinkling duties this evening - there's a football match on TV apparently that DH wants to watch.

Anyone with a request? I'll be happy to oblige but might need a little refreshment of the alcoholic variety to keep me going. Would that be possible or shall I bring a bottle soop? wink

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 15:36:51

LizG All we need do when we reach 1000 messages is virtually move the end wall...the one with the best sea views, shift the furniture and launder the tartan rugs. Simples! wink

Tomorrow we go to Oban hospital as I'm to have an Xray on my chest [to check that all the infection has gone] and an appointment to see the nice man who made me well. The weather should be a lot better than it is today. I shall drive one way...just over 60 miles. We have lunch in the Kitchen Garden...toasties, a sticky pudding and coffee. A treat. grin

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 15:43:48

Gagagran I shall leave a bottle of fine wine for you. There will be smoked salmon sandwiches too. The Aga will make the kitchen feel cosy. If you like, I shall leave some of MacSporran's sheet music. Some of which is really "serious" but there is also more light-hearted tunes - Songs from Broadway and Gershwin...

Sorry that I can't be with you. We'll be otherwise engaged.

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 16:45:35

Tortoiseshell's absence is concerning me. Rory seems unsettled too. He nudges the door when he wishes to go into the garden and has sat beside the fence [looking into the forest] on several occasions this afternoon. It's raining heavily, and although she must have a dry and secure place in which to live, getting across the boggy ground can't be easy for her. I hope to goodness that she isn't injured and unable to hunt. I know...I know...she's only a cat...but to us, she's special.

AlieOxon Wed 22-Jan-14 16:52:08

Hey, there can be as many chaises in the same place as we want!
Hope the missing feline turns up soon....worrying

Gagagran would love more music...light stuff mentioned is fine but DO avoid Rodgers and Hammerstein please as I've had an overdose at the U3A singing group!
(Now happening less after protests!)

soop Wed 22-Jan-14 17:02:29

AlieOxon Virtually anything is possible...If we can imagine whatever, then it can be so. Does that make sense? grin
I shall be away tomorrow but will be back just as soon as I can. Be kind to each other. moon

Lona Wed 22-Jan-14 17:12:53

Drive safely soop xx

Icyalittle Wed 22-Jan-14 17:17:52

Lona I hope the tranquility in soop's wonderful kitchen+ is helping you, as it has me. Strange how in some peaceful places you can relax, whereas in others the quiet just lets your brain churn.
I have brought crumpets to toast and butter, with some of the lime marmalade I made today - the pot with the added touch of whiskey....

Gagagran please could you play Rhapsody in Blue and Road to the Isles thus evening, if it wouldn't be too much trouble?

Lona Wed 22-Jan-14 17:23:16

Icy Yes thanks, it is a calming and relaxing place, and I love Rhapsody in Blue, so that will help!
Not to mention the crumpets! wink

sunshine

dustyangel Wed 22-Jan-14 17:50:46

Oh dear, I'm just home after lunch...... well, after, afterlunch. You know that stage when almost everyone has gone home but a few old friends are left and you, or someone else,says ; " Shall we just have one to relax with ?" absolutely fatal. I'll just sit quietly in the corner and admire the view. Save me an apricot flapjack for when I wake up before I go home.
I forgot, here are some almonds and olives to nibble on.

Gagagran, do you know The Four Marys. A friend of mine used to sing it. A beautiful haunting melody.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion