Gransnet forums

Chat

Who cares about becoming invisible?

(108 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 01-Feb-14 23:12:17

I'm happy for them and I suppose the 102yr old bloke makes me feel, Good on yer, but I don't think I admire them.

I don't mind being invisible. I can always shout BOO if I want to make someone jump.

mollie Sat 01-Feb-14 23:07:38

OK, maybe none of you need role models but can't we just admire these two people for their individuality and their respective successes? Or is that impossible too?

Galen Sat 01-Feb-14 22:59:37

If you're on a mobility scooter or crutches, you become totally invisible, even if you're 5'7" and 14 stone!

glassortwo Sat 01-Feb-14 22:58:25

I am what I am dont need a role model, its taken me 58 years to accept who and what I am... no role model needed I managed it all by myself warts and all.

mollie Sat 01-Feb-14 22:57:36

Maybe you don't Ana but I do... in my world life ends before 70 which makes me feel almost ancient so stories like this remind me of an alternative option...

Ana Sat 01-Feb-14 22:53:56

I'm fed up with being presented with 'role models' - no offence, mollie.
At my age, I don't really think I need any.

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Feb-14 22:33:28

As someone who went from spots to wrinkles and cellulite and missed completely the svelte dishy bit in between I'm not sure whether to be depressed that there's no way I'll ever look like the model or pleased for her. And as for that French bloke on the bike ........ sad

mollie Sat 01-Feb-14 21:56:22

I've been thinking about the recent thread bemoaning the apparent invisibility of women over forty. Invisible to whom? And why does it matter? Anyway, I've decided to collect examples of people (men and women) who should be our role models ... here are just two that were featured in the news today:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/news/american-apparel-reveals-62yearold-jacky-oshaughnessy-as-underwear-model-9099206.html

www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/cycling-102yearold-frenchman-robert-marchand-beats-own-world-record-9101226.html