Gransnet forums

Chat

Charles again

(72 Posts)
Mishap Tue 04-Feb-14 21:34:54

I had to chuckle at Charles (arch tree-hugger and defender of unscientific alternative therapies) decrying those who reject the scientific evidence about humans' influence on global warming.

durhamjen Tue 04-Feb-14 22:00:41

A bit unfair really. At least he went, which is more than Cameron has done. He has also given £50000 to flood relief for the area.
My grandson asked me if I was a tree-hugger at the weekend. I said yes, and there's nothing wrong with liking trees. Maybe if we'd all looked after the environment better, we would not be losing as many ash and beech trees as we are.

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 22:11:24

Poor man, he can't win can be?

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 22:11:44

Poor man, he can't will can he?

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 22:12:21

Poor man, he can't win, can he? grin

JessM Tue 04-Feb-14 22:20:04

Convinced about climate change, and rightly so, given the huge weight of scientific opinion that a it will happen, sooner or later if we continue to consume fossil fuels.
But mysteriously still convinced that homeopathy is absolutely spiffing, despite the lack of weight of any scientific opinion that there is anything whatsoever in it in both senses of "in it" confused

Ana Tue 04-Feb-14 22:20:51

No!

Ana Tue 04-Feb-14 22:22:31

Sorry, Jess, my previous was in response to Aka's post(s).

merlotgran Tue 04-Feb-14 22:27:56

Ha Ha Aka. I think you've made your point......I agree.

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 22:29:43

hmm

absent Tue 04-Feb-14 23:02:53

On our television news this morning they said that he was also going to visit a village cut off by the floods and share their problems.

If he, his entourage and protection squad – and probably a bunch of journalists – are about to go there, it isn't cut off.

If his farms were flooded and looters had ransacked his home and stolen the heating oil, he would still have no idea about the extent of their problems.

Donating money is fine – poncing around on a visit, holding up whatever practical help people are providing seems daft to me, but perhaps the gracious presence of a balding, ugly, middle-aged, bad-tempered, socially awkward, over-privileged man really does lift the spirits of over-tired emergency workers. It takes all sorts…

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Feb-14 23:06:21

It does indeed Absent - take all sorts. hmm

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 23:07:03

That's rather harsh Absent! He can't hell being balding, ugly, and middle (?) aged now can he?

Poor man, he can't win, can he? hmm

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 23:08:24

That's rather harsh Absent! He can't help being balding, ugly, and middle (?) aged now can he?

Poor man, he can't win, can he?

Lona Tue 04-Feb-14 23:08:30

It certainly does hmm

Ana Tue 04-Feb-14 23:08:40

Isn't there another thread about his visit to flood-affected areas?
Like the various government-bashing threads, they're all starting to become virtually indistinguishable...

POGS Tue 04-Feb-14 23:09:07

I guess this thread is connected to Charles and his visit to Somerset?

I have put my thought on the other thread 'Charles visits the Somerset Levels'.

As for scientific evidence and Charles I think each to his own.

As for the flooding in Somerset everybody thinks they are an expert on whichever side they believe in. Personally I say let the people who live, work and tend the countryside on the moors of Somerset 'tell us' what the right thing to do is. Global warming or not, believer or not.

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 23:09:31

I was thinking that myself Ana....
moon

Ana Tue 04-Feb-14 23:09:53

It's like Chinese Whispers on here! grin

absent Tue 04-Feb-14 23:14:21

Why is it Ana? What has been distorted in the process of posting?

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 23:51:52

Poo man, he can twin, canny!

LizG Wed 05-Feb-14 00:19:13

grin

Ceesnan Wed 05-Feb-14 07:00:01

Absent may I refer you to your comment on the Cutting Contact With MiL thread 05.02.14 where you talk about no excuse for rudeness? smile

BlueBelle Wed 05-Feb-14 07:16:25

I like Prince Chares he is not afraid to take all the brickbats thrown at him all the jokes about ears and hair ( William doesn't have much left but I don't hear jokes about his appearance) he has principles and sticks to them no matter what c* is thrown at him

He has some solid ideas on environment and will I m sure be proved right in years to come He's the only person I've seen in the flood area and offering financial help. His hands have been tied for years and he is obviously doing what he can and still there are those who decry him

I m presuming you don't like him Absent wink

JessM Wed 05-Feb-14 07:40:24

The odd thing about his hair is that he has stuck with the exact same hairstyle that Nanny imposed when it first grew long enough to have a style. This is not usual.