Gransnet forums

Chat

Charles again

(73 Posts)
Mishap Tue 04-Feb-14 21:34:54

I had to chuckle at Charles (arch tree-hugger and defender of unscientific alternative therapies) decrying those who reject the scientific evidence about humans' influence on global warming.

margaretm74 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:12:22

DH is older but looks about the same age, hair is about as thin though!
DH also was able to choose his own career and the only criticism is from me (but he did choose me). Not constantly being criticised in the Press and media everywhere.
As I said on another thread he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
And on our local news the people of Somerset did seem very pleased that he went and showed interest

Penstemmon Wed 05-Feb-14 11:53:22

margaret my DH has been continually criticised in the Press and media due to the job he does! also he has had to work hard to pay the bills etc. not a worry PC has had!

henetha Wed 05-Feb-14 11:57:48

None of us, including Prince Charles, can help the face we were born with
(unless we resort to plastic surgery of course). Nor can we help the position in life into which we are born.
I think he does his absolute best. And at least he cares about things that affect people's lives. He does achieve a great deal of good with things like The Prince's Trust, etc.
He's a sincere person, in my humble opinion, and I agree with all of you above who said he just can't win, can he. Whatever he does there are people who enjoy knocking him down.

margaretm74 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:59:21

Intrigued! Bet he's never been mistaken for PC though!

gillybob Wed 05-Feb-14 12:02:35

The money came from "The Prince's Countryside Fund". He did not physically donate a penny of his own money.

www.princescountrysidefund.org.uk/our-projects/our-projects

margaretm74 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:06:15

Yes, Dd2's friend works for the Princes' Trust, which does excellent work and doesn't get enough publicity. I think he does his very best, given that his path in life was set out for him from birth. Not saying I am keen on some of the others.

feetlebaum Wed 05-Feb-14 12:07:05

@JessM "The odd thing about his hair is that he has stuck with the exact same hairstyle that Nanny imposed when it first grew long enough to have a style. This is not usual."

I think it is! I have never managed to eradicate the parting that my mother lovingly combed into my baby locks, 78 years ago... and I did try.

Lilygran Wed 05-Feb-14 12:08:30

But he did give money! And that's a bad thing? Some of us might not bother to look out of the window to see a Royal person but many of us seem really pleased that they came. Carping about it won't change that. Whether you like it or not, they raise morale by showing up.

Riverwalk Wed 05-Feb-14 12:09:06

'His' money is our money gilly!

Lilygran Wed 05-Feb-14 12:13:46

It's a charity! Oxfam's money is 'our' money. And the NSPCC's money etc etc. and how do you know he didn't give any of 'his' money? Money was given to alleviate distress. Surely that's the main point?

gillybob Wed 05-Feb-14 12:16:37

Yes it is a charity Lilygran and the webiste is appealing for more donations.

The point is that The Press are saying that "HE" has made a donation of £50,000 which he has not.

Lilygran Wed 05-Feb-14 13:03:39

Give me strength!

POGS Wed 05-Feb-14 13:08:26

Firstly his visit was scheduled to take place before this flood ever happened. He was visiting the area to discuss the flooding that occurred last time. So it was not a PR stunt for the media. Only if you want it to be.

Secondly, his comment 'A jolly good disaster' in this case means 'large', 'huge', 'immense'. It is obvious it does not mean 'good fun', 'good sport', 'happy days'. It is ridiculous to think he is 'happy' about the living conditions some poor b-----s are coping with in Somerset, or indeed anywhere else in the UK. Only if you want it to.

As for who has done this and that and bringing party politics into this, I find that annoying and I will remind those who believe that the local MP's who are Conservative and Lib Dems have done nothing then you are wrong. The one person who is leaving a nasty taste in the mouth is Labours Lord Smith of Finsbury, Cambridge/Harvard. He is the Chairman of the Environment Agency, (2008) he hasn't even visited the area AT ALL!!!

As has been said Prince Charles will be damned if he does and damned if doesn't.

I was born on 'The Moors' just outside of Glastonbury. It is amazing how so many people become 'experts' and chuck their two penneth into the mix but they don't know how the Levels/Moors work.

Price Charles is probably a more humble a person than some who I have heard and good on him for fulfilling his scheduled visit. Any funds donated are welcome and will possibly lead to more people getting involved. Do you see that as a bad thing? Do you see that as an egotistical thing he has done?, only if you want it to.

margaretm74 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:20:27

Didn't realise until yesterday that "Lord Smith"" is that the same Chris Smith who used to be labour MP for Islington which of course gives him great insight into rural affairs

annodomini Wed 05-Feb-14 15:21:25

Ah, but Margaret74, he's a keen mountaineer which should give him a very keen insight into the Somerset Levels. wink

margaretm74 Wed 05-Feb-14 15:29:41

The view from Glastonbury Tor I presume.

LizG Wed 05-Feb-14 16:28:53

Surely Prince Charles' money comes from the Duchy of Cornwall?

Lona Wed 05-Feb-14 16:47:06

The media said he was giving the money from his charity, not personally.

kittylester Wed 05-Feb-14 17:19:20

Chris (Lord) Smith also pinned his colours to the mast on TV recently by implying that front rooms were more important than farming! He said something like the priorities for his department were saving lives, saving industry, saving homes, saving farming. And there's me thinking farming is an industry too!

merlotgran Wed 05-Feb-14 17:22:03

Information on the Prince's Countryside Charity here

merlotgran Wed 05-Feb-14 17:24:07

Sorry Gillybob, I've just spotted the link you put up. I had a quick look through the posts but missed it.

margaretm74 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:33:39

Didn't Chris Smith say that it was more important to save the towns than the countryside? So who is going to feed the townspeople? (Comes from the supermarket innit, dumbo)