Gransnet forums

Chat

Did they realise?

(82 Posts)
MiceElf Sat 01-Mar-14 10:06:32

My nephews were chuckling about a friend's new girlfriend. The reason? Her name. Jenny Taylor. It took me a while. But then I remembered a student I once has calked Lee King.

My husband once had a colleague named David Balls who called his daughter Holly. But the most unfortunate was a lad I heard about whose nickname was 'head first'. His name was Robert Slater. Fine until it's written R Slater.

Any more unfortunate names to cheer us up?

Flowerofthewest Thu 13-Mar-14 18:53:34

Sorry to monopolise but I had a domestic science teacher called Miss Pepper.

The leader of a local RSPB group was Tim Goose.

When my M-in-L was in hospital the three other women in neighbouring beds were Warren, Hare and Bird (my DH was Head of Natural History for our area)

Flowerofthewest Thu 13-Mar-14 18:51:03

I wanted to call my first DD Charlotte, my dad commented (on my miserable 3rd day) that it sounded like a pickled onion. I wept for hours and renamed her.

Flowerofthewest Thu 13-Mar-14 18:49:58

My DD has just told me that a former school friend of hers has a boy and a girl called Joseph and Mary!

Penstemmon Sat 08-Mar-14 23:22:06

Rose that is what my dad was worried about 'WET & Windy' Wendy!

Greenfinch Thu 06-Mar-14 20:33:18

I have a friend called Joan Jones.

We had a teacher at school who was called Miss People. Late in life she married a Mr. Peaple.

I taught a Chinese girl who had the English name of Windy. We tried to persuade her that Wendy would be more appropriate but she stuck with Windy as she said her aunt had chosen it for her.

rosequartz Thu 06-Mar-14 19:50:06

I wanted to call DD2 Penelope, the older two DC said they would call her Penelope Pitstop, who was on tv at the time.

grannyisland Thu 06-Mar-14 19:05:29

We called our daughter Sheila (a family name on both sides) thinking it wasn't easy to shorten etc. Then after she started at school Sheera Princess of Power came on tv! As you say Rose you can't account for the friends.

rosequartz Thu 06-Mar-14 18:06:30

My mother wanted to call me Wendy, penstemmon, but my brothers said they would call me 'Windy Wendy' because I burped a lot. Thank goodness, because it would not have gone with my surname which began with a W.

Nonu Thu 06-Mar-14 17:49:29

One of the teachers at the school they attend is Mr Nutbeam , thought at first they were kidding , but no , that is his name !

ginny Thu 06-Mar-14 17:40:46

I have a friend called Lynsey and she married Mr Lindsay. Certainly caused a lot of confusion at times.

Nonu Thu 06-Mar-14 17:38:05

Number

grin

numberplease Thu 06-Mar-14 17:32:44

My initials are, now and before marriage, JLS, no relation to the pop group!

Nonu Thu 06-Mar-14 17:22:37

mind you PENT I have heard that if your intials make a little word is supposed to be lucky !
Don"t know if that is true ?
smile

Penstemmon Thu 06-Mar-14 17:06:33

My Mum wanted to call me Wendy Elizabeth but my dad refused as my initials would have been WET. I ended up with only one name..not Wendy or Elizabeth. Mum won with my brothers though: PET and JET!

Penstemmon Thu 06-Mar-14 17:00:45

Gill this was in Wimbledon Chase in the 80s!

Greenfinch Mon 03-Mar-14 22:13:44

grin

Galen Mon 03-Mar-14 20:53:24

But did you embrace it when offered?

Greenfinch Mon 03-Mar-14 20:02:06

And I knew an Olive Branch

harrigran Mon 03-Mar-14 19:21:23

DH's grandfather was Jack Frost but I have been assured he was a very warm person smile

KatyK Mon 03-Mar-14 19:02:52

I knew an Olive Green. One of my teachers at school was Miss Stagg and she married a Mr Wild, so to us she was Wild Stagg.

numberplease Mon 03-Mar-14 18:11:43

Our music teacher at school was Miss Frost, when she married a Mr. Glass, we referred to her as Frosted Glass.

lefthanded Mon 03-Mar-14 15:51:27

It was a long time ago but when I was in school our school secretary was called Hazel Nutt.

Galen Mon 03-Mar-14 12:13:35

My father wanted to call me Charity. Fortunately my mother disagreed. Especially as I married a man whose surname was Ward. Sounds like something in one of the old funded hospitals!

rosequartz Mon 03-Mar-14 11:58:48

You think so carefully about your children's names and then their friends and siblings, if they have any, just wreck it all! Or the girls marry someone and end up with a surname which is odd or hilarious with their first name.

Greenfinch Mon 03-Mar-14 11:48:38

Two of my friends were called Sin (Cynthia) and Hell (Helen).The teachers didn't approve of me yelling their names in the playground.!!