Gransnet forums

Chat

Did they realise?

(81 Posts)
MiceElf Sat 01-Mar-14 10:06:32

My nephews were chuckling about a friend's new girlfriend. The reason? Her name. Jenny Taylor. It took me a while. But then I remembered a student I once has calked Lee King.

My husband once had a colleague named David Balls who called his daughter Holly. But the most unfortunate was a lad I heard about whose nickname was 'head first'. His name was Robert Slater. Fine until it's written R Slater.

Any more unfortunate names to cheer us up?

shysal Sat 01-Mar-14 10:13:58

Teresa Green went to school with ex-DH.

Hunt Sat 01-Mar-14 10:17:59

I once taught an Albert Hall and a Victoria Plum.

newist Sat 01-Mar-14 10:21:47

I went to school with Isabel Loud

Anne58 Sat 01-Mar-14 10:44:59

I once had a client called Ivor Stiff, strangely enough he preferred to use his middle name which was John.

At the same place we also had guests called Mr & Mrs Veryard. I always wanted to say, Ah, Mr & Mrs Veryard, have you met the Stiffs?" but just couldn't do it somehow.

Flowerofthewest Sat 01-Mar-14 10:48:33

A neighbour called Windsor Gates.

Once saw a TV programme on this subject where a few gems were mentioned such as. Peter Enis (True) A lady called Nellie who married Mr Jelly.

Owners of a local gym called their children Tallulah Little Bear and her brother is Tin Tin Jellybean!!!! I am surprised that they were allowed to register the Jellybean bit.

I used to go to school with a Frank Hunt. I still cannot say his name without a long pause between the first and last name.

Still don't get the Jenny Taylor! will probably come to me in my sleep!

annsixty Sat 01-Mar-14 10:48:52

Was that in Nottingham Hunt? I worked with a Victoria Plum there.

MiceElf Sat 01-Mar-14 10:54:51

Say it out loud Flower.

Marelli Sat 01-Mar-14 10:57:28

DH went to primary school with a little girl called Etta Toley. ('toley' being a child's word for .....er....number 2's) shockblush!

Marelli Sat 01-Mar-14 10:58:36

I had to say Jenny Taylor out loud....got it! grin

Flowerofthewest Sat 01-Mar-14 10:59:27

Oh!!! shock I just did shout it and DH nearly fell down the stairs. grin love it.

Flowerofthewest Sat 01-Mar-14 11:00:24

Now you shout Frank Hunt out loud MiceElf forgot his dad was Mike!! that's worse

merlotgran Sat 01-Mar-14 11:07:34

I remember calling a register for a new class of yr 8s and as my eyes went down the list I noticed Suzanne Lester was followed by Matthew Piggott. So glad we called the kids by their first and not second names or I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing. grin

Bellasnana Sat 01-Mar-14 11:08:55

DD3 went to school with a Pearl Harber, I kid you not.

ninathenana Sat 01-Mar-14 11:10:06

[flower] DD went to school with a Michael (Mike) Hunt.

ninathenana Sat 01-Mar-14 11:12:46

Why did I use [ ] not * * stupid !!!

merlotgran Sat 01-Mar-14 11:14:17

I taught twins called Victoria and Albert Hall and when I mentioned this to a colleague he said they were actually triplets and their brother was in a different class. I asked what he was called and the teacher kept a perfectly sraight face and said, 'Carnegie'

I nearly fell for it. blush

Soutra Sat 01-Mar-14 11:37:44

Local coach company R.Souls had to change their liver deleting the "R".

Nonnie Sat 01-Mar-14 11:54:17

We have friends with GCs named Samuel and Ella. Sam n Ella

durhamjen Sat 01-Mar-14 12:51:47

Never thought of that before, Nonnie. I've got Sam n Ellen.
Fortunately their fathers are different, so they do not get together too often.
The first girlfriend of one of my sons was called Theresa Green. There must be a lot of them around, shysal

seaspirit Sat 01-Mar-14 13:02:03

my brother was called dynamite his name was terry neil thomas
stopped my husband from calling 4th daughter May king
he insisted he went to school with Ophelia balls

annodomini Sat 01-Mar-14 13:05:39

If my last GC had been a girl she would have been Grace and I would have had Maisie'n'Grace. But he turned out to be Max.

GillT57 Sat 01-Mar-14 18:46:43

went to school with Russell Hobbs

Ana Sat 01-Mar-14 19:02:30

I knew a girl called Eileen Dover.
(No I didn't really, it's one of those joke names that come up a lot!)

mollie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:03:57

I went to school with a Maxwell Coffee back in the early sixties. And worked with a real life Sean Lambe. He doesn't think it's funny that there's a cartoon character with his name on the TV now...