Gransnet forums

Chat

What do we all look like ?

(70 Posts)
NanKate Sun 12-Oct-14 16:56:46

I often have in my mind's eye how a Gransnetter looks from the way she/he writes and of course that is an absurd and not based on anything but my imagination.

However last week the Winner of the Great British Bake Off, Nancy Birtwhistle, looked to me as if she would be a great candidate for this website. I wondered also if she was already one of us. hmm

HollyDaze Tue 14-Oct-14 17:16:09

I was telling my eldest GD this morning that as I haven't looked in a mirror (as such) for over 15 years so in my head, I can't imagine myself looking different to how I last looked and that suits me just fine grin She said 'cool trick Nanny, I'm going to do the same thing' - looks like she'll be staying aged 20 then grin

NanKate Tue 14-Oct-14 17:27:19

How do you put your makeup on Holly if you wear it ? I have to use a magnifying mirror to put on my eye make-up. So I see ever crease and crevice but the end job isn't bad.

I could offer the service of doing camouflage make-up. grin

rosequartz Tue 14-Oct-14 19:21:51

I could do with someone showing me how to use eye makeup, NanKate!

Starling Tue 14-Oct-14 20:57:17

Ooh, is "virtually gorgeous" a thing? Let's all be that then!

rosequartz Tue 14-Oct-14 21:11:52

So much easier than keeping up appearances!

absent Tue 14-Oct-14 22:03:02

Different from how I appear in photographs of previous meet-ups, although no less uninspiring. I have lost weight (not intentionally), my hair is now much longer and cut in a bob and I have a year-round suntan (paler in the winter and topping up now spring is here). However, I still have a face like a horse.

HollyDaze Wed 15-Oct-14 11:51:25

How do you put your makeup on Holly if you wear it ?

When the aversion began, NanKate, I used to use a very small, oval mirror (compact mirror?) that would only show about one eye-sized area at a time so makeup still went on okay (my daughter would have soon said something if it hadn't) grin

Now I just don't bother with makeup at all.

I could offer the service of doing camouflage make-up. grin

(to the tune from Grease) - tell me more, tell me more grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Oct-14 12:07:33

Holly that is a bit sad, and a bit worrying.

And how do you manage when you have your hair cut?

HollyDaze Wed 15-Oct-14 12:46:34

I've had this problem for so long jingle that I barely notice it anymore.

The hairdresser is a problem but my hairdresser is aware of how I feel and she knows I won't look into the mirror so when she needs me to raise my head up fully, she just has to continue without me facing the mirror (which, to be honest, doesn't seem to cause her any problems). Same when I have my eyebrows done - they know better than to try and hold a mirror in front of me so that I can admire my newly shaped eyebrows grin

apricot Wed 15-Oct-14 18:21:56

I look old and ugly, as I'd expect to compared to my beautiful flawless grandchildren.
Old age shows most on faces, hands and feet. Thin wrinkling skin, bunions, arthritic joints. I don't actually care, I always told my daughters that being nice is much more important than how you look. Very few women are really beautiful.

absent Wed 15-Oct-14 18:50:28

apricot Knees are also an age giveaway.

thatbags Wed 15-Oct-14 20:46:52

And necks.

Flowerofthewest Wed 15-Oct-14 23:18:04

My bingo wings that wave long after I have stopped waving.

absent Thu 16-Oct-14 05:37:38

What exactly are bingo wings? Also, what is the origin of the term?

baubles Thu 16-Oct-14 06:04:38

C&P From The Urban Dictionary:

The hanging fat that swings from an obese womans upper arms when they are raised and shaken while shouting "Bingo!" during a tournament.

I'm not obese and my upper arms are far from toned.

papaoscar Thu 16-Oct-14 14:16:03

Bingo wings! No problem, just regard them as your own personal food bank. A nice reserve of goodies that your body can tap into in times of need. But like all your valuable things you don't want to wave them around for the world too see, so best nicely concealed I think. Far more attractive than those enormous loose shirts that gentlemen of a certain age and shape wear to try and conceal their middle-aged spreads.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Oct-14 14:20:39

Well I never! (origin) Can't say I ever actually thought about it, but it makes sense. grin Don't think the 'obese' is fair though. It happens to skinny women as well cos it's down to muscle loss and just a part of ageing.

numberplease Thu 16-Oct-14 16:07:17

My mother was extremely overweight for many years, then in her early 80s she had a lot of illness and loss a massive amount of weight, which she was pleased about, but she was less pleased that her bingo wings were still there, they never went away at all.

joannapiano Thu 16-Oct-14 16:40:34

I have recently lost over a stone in weight as I've been a bit poorly.
Am now skinny and flabby with bingo wings hanging from sticks.
I treated myself to some new jeans though, and feel OK about myself.