Gransnet forums

Chat

Damned with faint praise.

(62 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Nov-14 13:34:57

You are being too sensitive Ann60. The fact that you always look neat and tidy seems to have made her realise she has been letting herself go, and now she intends to do something about it. You have done her good. Well done. smile

And she might be different from you, but that doesn't mean you are less attractive. We all have our own styles.

Mishap Tue 04-Nov-14 13:32:12

What merlot said! No-one has ever suggested I might be neat and tidy! - well done you!

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Nov-14 13:24:17

I really don't think your friend meant to be dismissive, annsixty. I certainly hope not, when you've been so kind to her.

Someone once said I really reminded her of "an old actress - somebody dead". Weeks later she told me she'd meant Greta Garbo. I'm nothing like her.

annsixty Tue 04-Nov-14 13:13:37

Thank you for your kind replies.I actually am also thankful for her friendship as I have said before my DH has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and she will be a support to me I am sure.

Eloethan Tue 04-Nov-14 12:58:21

When I had my daughter, a nurse admired her saying "what a pretty little thing". She looked at me and then my husband and said "I can see she takes after her daddy!" I feel sure the way it sounded wasn't quite what was intended, and can laugh about it now but it took me aback at the time.

This lady's comment seems like a compliment to me - there's a lot to be said for looking neat and tidy - better than looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards.

You seem very critical of yourself. We can't all be raving beauties, but, given that you appear to have made a particular effort to be a friend to this lady in her time of need, you surely have many qualities that others value much more highly.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Nov-14 12:51:56

I was shopping with someone I didn't know that well and in the changing room she looked at me and said (with surprise) "You've got not back fat at all." I know it was meant as a compliment but years later I'm still wondering what she actually expected to see

KatyK Tue 04-Nov-14 12:46:35

If someone more glamorous than me (which is most people) pays me a compliment, I always think they are being patronising but I think perhaps that is my problem not theirs.

merlotgran Tue 04-Nov-14 12:42:11

If anyone told me I always look neat and tidy I'd suggest they go to Specsavers grin

Agus Tue 04-Nov-14 12:41:13

I think it was a compliment too Ann. We don't see ourselves as others see us. Enjoy the friendship.

KatyK Tue 04-Nov-14 12:38:53

Do you mean you took this as an insult ann?

janeainsworth Tue 04-Nov-14 12:38:27

I think that's a compliment Ann, and she probably doesn't feel herself to be as attractive etc as you think!
In any case, I'm sure she's really grateful for your friendship and support.

annsixty Tue 04-Nov-14 11:30:32

A friend of a friend lives quite near me,so I have seen her on social occasions but never been close.She is probably everything I am not, very attractive,fashionable and artistic.A few weeks ago her S.O.was diagnosed with a terminal illness and died very soon after.I went to see her and as she is probably quite lonely she has started inviting me for coffee,sometimes in the evening for a glass of wine and we have become friendly.She called in yesterday and stood by the mirror flicking through her blonde locks and said "I must take myself in hand,I look terrible" and glancing at me said" you always look so neat and tidy".

I really didn't know how to react,do these things happen to others?

Am I perhaps being too sensitive?