Gransnet forums

Chat

I know we all have different build and sizing but really?

(36 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 20-May-15 13:11:31

Just reading an article in a magazine about someone who had lost quite a lot of weight ( in an effort to inspire myself!). I am 5ft 5 in, weigh 14st 2 lbs and squeeze into size 18, sometimes need size 20. This obviously has to change. But, the woman in the article is 5ft, weighed 17 stone and took size 18.......How can that be? I know in the grand scheme of things it is pretty banal, but sloppy and inaccurate reporting does irritate me.

HildaW Wed 20-May-15 13:28:02

Was it an American article?

HildaW Wed 20-May-15 13:28:41

If not, methinks she was kidding herself.

aggie Wed 20-May-15 14:09:22

I wish I could squeeze into a size 18 !I am 5'4" and 13 stone . It takes a 22/24 in M+S to go round me

FlicketyB Wed 20-May-15 14:27:58

But sizing can be so variable, even in the same shop. I went to Sainsburys on Saturday and bought tops in size 10, 12 & 14, each one fits and the size smaller/larger in each model didn't.

I thin it will depend on what type of clothes she wears, if she goes for leggings and loose tops, then sizing can be daft. The size 10 I bought was a peasant design top so not very fitting with plenty of loose fabric.

Charleygirl Wed 20-May-15 14:41:49

aggie I also have a problem with M&S sizing. My personal feeling is that most of their clothes are made in China and the people there are a different type of shape to the vast majority in this country.

Teetime Wed 20-May-15 15:41:02

I do often see people in clothes I would consider too tight- some people wont let go of their perceived/preferred size to wear something that fits. I love my GAP jeans - they are a 12 and I am most definitely an elephantine size 14. smile

numberplease Wed 20-May-15 16:29:03

That`s one reason for me liking Bonmarche, I take 2 sizes less from there!

loopylou Wed 20-May-15 17:27:58

I no longer take any notice of sizing; I am size 14 top, size 12/14 bottom, 5'6" and 10st. 12lb. I have been up to an 18 and 13 stone

I often wondered about how women in particularly slimming magazines can be wearing the sizes they say!

Clothing sizes fluctuate so much that in M&S I can be a 8 -16, Sains 10-14, Tesco's 8 -14 and Gap a 'small'

confused

MiniMouse Wed 20-May-15 17:30:47

Sizing is a nightmare! As others have said, M & S vary so much. I have three Per Una cardigans, identical style, just different colourways, but they're all different sizes - 10, 14, 16! Bearing in mind that I am as mini as my name implies, there's clearly something awry with their sizing! (The size 10 I couldn't even get my hand down the sleeve shock )

seasonofmists Wed 20-May-15 17:49:33

I honestly believe it varies more than anyone would expect. I weigh a ton, 19 stone 10, and wear a size 24 - which obviously is far from small, but I know people weighing significantly less than I do and wearing the same size. And I'm well past any temptation to squeeze into clothes that are too small for me, life is far too short to look like a sausage in a skin. I can pull most of my jeans off without unbuttoning them. Vanity sizing plays a part no doubt, but it is possible to weigh a lot more than another person of the same size.

Coolgran65 Wed 20-May-15 17:56:15

I'm 5'6", weight 12.12 and wear 16/18 bottoms, 18/20 tops. No bum but need the sizing for my apple shaped middle.

Many magazine articles refer to sizing that is like a fairy tale.

Ana Wed 20-May-15 18:12:56

I'm 5'7" and weigh 9st 5lb. Most size 12s fit me, top and bottom.

I do have trouble believing that someone in a magazine article who is roughly my height and has trimmed down to 11 stone is now a size 10/12...hmm

Anne58 Wed 20-May-15 18:21:34

5' 2" no idea what I currently weigh as the scales need a new battery, and have done for nearly a year blush have no bosoms (all hail the gel bra, or the Primark air bras, take them off and my bust goes with them) always tended to be a bit heavy in the thigh, but I have recently developed this awful stomach. Try to run past the full length mirror most of the time, but when I do catch a glimpse I seem to be all belly and bum! (I actually hate the word "belly")

The problem with running past that mirror is that when my feet stop moving, various bits of my body don't.

loopylou Wed 20-May-15 18:28:11

grin phoenix

That's a brilliant image I have! My boobs behave independently to the rest of me; I avoid running unclad as could end up with two black eyes blush

J52 Wed 20-May-15 18:31:07

I don't weigh myself any more, once I reached my goal size 12. (Height 5.4) If I find things tight I cut down on the calories.

But I do find that any dresses with side zips do not fit. I think this is because having children widens your rib cage! I'm sure I read it somewhere?

I cannot reduce the wobble area either! That's courtesy of having children, as well.

Some clothes are made in styles that are aimed at young shapes, regardless of size. x

Anne58 Wed 20-May-15 18:32:17

Actually loopy that is the only upside of having been at the back of the queue when the bosom fairy was bestowing her bounty. Practically zero droop. A "friend* once commented, "well, they may be very small, but they are rather pert" !

GillT57 Wed 20-May-15 19:39:16

It is certainly true that sizes differ hugely from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within the same range from the same shop, but honestly, this person was 5 foot and 17 stone, so very very round.....no way that a size 18 would fit, it hardly fits me at 5inches taller and almost 3 stones lighter. I do not understand the logic. I am not going to weigh myself anymore, I shall cut down until the right size of jeans fit.......

AshTree Wed 20-May-15 19:56:38

GillT I think you are my twin. I am 5'5", weigh 14.2, wear mostly size 18 but sometimes a 20. Are you also going to be 65 in July? grin

Anne58 Wed 20-May-15 20:01:20

A sound thought Gill Although we talk about wanting to lose weight I think deep down we mean inches.

Lets face it, you could lose weight by chopping one leg off (might make standing on the scales a tad awkward) but it's the inches that usually matter.

When clearing out drawer I found the notes re. my waist, hip and thigh measurements taken in June 2010 when I started Slimming World shock

rosesarered Wed 20-May-15 20:06:02

I agree with you Gill, and often find myself refusing to believe the dress size of people who have lost weight in magazines. you can just see that if it says they can now wear a size 10, the truth would be a size 14.

FlicketyB Thu 21-May-15 13:53:14

Yes, I also often wonder about the dress sizes they claim in magazines. I will see someone my height, my weight, or sometimes even between 7lbs - 14lbs more and the article will say that they now get into a size 8 - 10 and I boggle. I am size 10/12 above the waist and size 12 below.

Marmight Thu 21-May-15 14:44:02

I bought a couple of cheapy summer dresses from Asda and they are size 18 and they are still a bit on the nippy side! I am usually between a 14 and 16. It jut depends on the manufacturer I suppose.

J52 Thu 21-May-15 16:02:52

I tend to try on a larger size, if I'm buying something from a supermarket. They are cheap because they skimp on fabric. You can get tremendous bargains though, especially in summer clothing made of cotton or linen. x

loopylou Thu 21-May-15 16:09:29

I've just tried on three M&S skirts bought in the last two years, all similar style, same fabric and all size 14.

The first falls straight off me when done up
The second fits well
The third is a bit tight snug

All fitted when I bought them, none has been washed because I forgotten I'd bought them and they were in the back of DH's wardrobe.

Very peculiar or what!

confused