Gransnet forums

Chat

I know we all have different build and sizing but really?

(37 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 20-May-15 13:11:31

Just reading an article in a magazine about someone who had lost quite a lot of weight ( in an effort to inspire myself!). I am 5ft 5 in, weigh 14st 2 lbs and squeeze into size 18, sometimes need size 20. This obviously has to change. But, the woman in the article is 5ft, weighed 17 stone and took size 18.......How can that be? I know in the grand scheme of things it is pretty banal, but sloppy and inaccurate reporting does irritate me.

KatyK Thu 21-May-15 16:10:47

I see a lot of these articles about people losing weight which say 'so and so has lost ten stone and has gone from (whatever size) to a 10'. I look at the pictures and I think (as my DH would say) 'never in the reign of pig's pudding' is she a 10 unless it is a bad photograph.

Bez Thu 21-May-15 16:25:10

I have just read through all the posts and it very interesting. I am the same height and weight as a person here but easily get into a size smaller than they need of MandS clothes. I too vary the size I buy depending on the shop and 'look' I wish to try and achieve. I came a bit unstuck with that recently - bought a cardigan in Asda so got the next size up as usual - never tried it on - got back to France and came the day I decided to wear it put it on and am swamped in it with sleeves almost covering my hands!!

GillT57 Thu 21-May-15 16:53:27

I am glad I am not the only one to be irritated by the silly claims in these articles, I was beginning to worry that I looked like the person I was talking about......I know I am a tad deluded about how many inches I have to lose, but surely not that much! Ashtree not your win my dear, although we could share clothes by the sound of it! Do you have trouble finding stuff? I do. I have just dug out and washed last years linen trousers and glad to say they all fit or are a little too loose.

rosequartz Thu 21-May-15 17:43:50

I find it annoying too; I look at the pictures of women who have lost weight and are now 'a size 12' and weigh the same as or more than me. I always think they must be about 6' 8" tall!

I had to buy a size larger this year in some trousers - however, last year's still fit! (they're skimping on fabric again.)

AshTree Thu 21-May-15 23:25:12

I find it depends on the current fashions, GillT, whether or not it's difficult to find stuff. This year there seem to be plenty of tops in Sainsbury and M&S that I like and that fit comfortably (and look not too bad!). I got fed up with all the crop tops that dominated the stores a few years ago. Nobody wants to see my belly - not even me shock
Trousers can be tricky, because they need to fit more accurately. But thank Heavens there are now more 'sits on the waist' trousers, after the years of having to endure nothing but low-waisted or out and out hipsters. Now in my youth I used to love them but now? I don't think so! I rarely wear skirts or dresses these days, but think I'd struggle to find something I liked.

Elegran Thu 21-May-15 23:58:36

US womens clothing sizes are not the same as UK ones. A size 12 in the US would be a size 14 in the UK.
www.usatourist.com/english/traveltips/shopping/shopping-womens-sizes.html

glammanana Fri 22-May-15 09:21:50

Ashtree agreeing so much about the change in style of trousers,those low rise fitting where awful and even though I could find trousers that I liked it was the waist line that was wrong all the time,I much prefer high rise waist or even back to years ago when elastic waists solved the problem all waists fits all lol

FlicketyB Fri 22-May-15 09:54:38

Ah, but I love low-rise trousers because I am quite narrow between crotch and waist and low rise, for me are a nice comfortable fit at waist level. 'Regular' fit is an uncomfortable fit under the armpits.

AshTree Fri 22-May-15 10:09:44

The Simon Cowell look, FlicketyB grin. Yes I can see why you'd want the low-rise trousers.

KatyK Fri 22-May-15 10:47:08

I bought a leather jacket yesterday. I am a 14 sometimes and a 16 sometimes. I usually go for a 16 in a coat or jacket with a view to wearing thick jumpers etc underneath. I tried a 16 jacket and couldn't even do it up, likewise an 18. DH said I should try a 20!! but I declined. I tried another 16 in a similar jacket, slightly different style. It fitted beautifully and was not in the slightest tight. Very odd.

GillT57 Fri 22-May-15 15:14:09

Ashtree I do find that the Tu range at sainsburys do quite nice tops but when I popped in yesterday there was a sale on and it was all grabby and horrid so I left. M & S a bit mixed; their trousers generally ok, jeans (per una) lovely fit and on the waist. Like you, never wear skirts, rarely dresses other than black frocks for the odd evening out.