Gransnet forums

Chat

You know you're getting old when .......

(75 Posts)
Sheena Sun 07-Jun-15 10:53:08

you think (no, you know ) you've got supper in the freezer.....but you haven't ?

Yesterday evening after a busy day with the grandkids I had planned just a quick pizza and chips (with a side salad of course !! the healthy bit !) and a big glass of vino.....and I knew I had the pizza in the freezer all ready to go.
I got extra topping all prepared, salad made, chips put n the oven ....and yes, that's right, no pizza confused .

Luckily we have good old Budgens just round the so I despatched hubby off on a pizza hunt (had to remind him he was still in his slippers though)...so we got our supper after all !

I'm definitely slipping grin !

Charleygirl Mon 08-Jun-15 14:32:43

These have made me laugh so much. I must be almost normal I think.

AshTree Mon 08-Jun-15 18:48:37

Our 2 year old GS pulls his socks off and leaves them lying around. He's been doing this since he was a few months old. Not unusual I know, but a problem because if my DS or DiL don't pick them up in time their madcap young dog eats them.
GS consequently has a drawer full of odd socks and they've just given up trying to match them so he wears odd socks nearly all the time grin

trisher Tue 09-Jun-15 08:39:58

You reach for your glasses case to put on your glasses open it, wonder where you could possible have left them, and then realise- You are already wearing them!!!!

Bellanonna Tue 09-Jun-15 08:46:55

Trisher, I've even tried to put a second pair over the ones I'm wearing. They are just cheap reading glasses so I have a few pairs.

loopylou Tue 09-Jun-15 13:45:22

FlicketyB I once wore one purple and one black shoe to work, luckily (?) of the same style - I couldn't claim old age as I was probably only about 52 at the time hmm

FlicketyB Tue 09-Jun-15 14:03:04

Fortunately, I didn't get to work with my odd shoes. When I realised I hurriedly walked to the nearest shoe shop and bought a new (matching) pair.

I was late for work though. As I said I was about 40 at the time.

loopylou Tue 09-Jun-15 14:47:13

Under electric light, early in the morning the colours were difficult to tell apart (that's my excuse anyway!)

rubylady Tue 09-Jun-15 15:32:53

I've a few copies now of Phantom of the Opera, buying the same one again, forgetting I've already got it.

The same with sauces and mustard, buy and then discover ones already in the cupboard. confused

Falconbird Tue 09-Jun-15 18:14:26

When on I was about 28 I set out with my two kids on a trip to the Post Office. When I arrived there I found I was carrying the contents of the pedal bin in a plastic sack.

If that had happened now, at 68, I would have been really worried. grin

crun Wed 10-Jun-15 14:58:10

What usually reminds me that I'm getting old is when I look at a scantily clad young wench and think "She must be frozen dressed like that!".

Grandma2213 Thu 11-Jun-15 01:00:27

When I look in the mirror and see my mother!!

Sheena Thu 11-Jun-15 07:27:48

Loved reading all your various tales grin ! and what daft things some of us have done !!

Grandma2213 I bet a lot of us do that.....I certainly do, and not only look like her, but sound like her, dress like she did (and there's me..always vowing I'd never ever wear the sort of clothes she did ! ) and now say to myself "good grief....when did I turn into my mother ? " wink

daffydil Thu 11-Jun-15 08:10:09

When one of the things I look for in a new skirt or trousers is an elasticated waist!

Sheena Thu 11-Jun-15 08:44:39

daffydil whoever invented elasticated waists is an absolute
flowers hero grin

daffydil Thu 11-Jun-15 09:48:14

Isn't he/she just.

FlicketyB Thu 11-Jun-15 18:28:56

Hate them!

annodomini Thu 11-Jun-15 19:39:19

I must be getting old because I simply cannot fathom what anyone sees in 'Mrs Brown's Boys'! confused

FlicketyB Fri 12-Jun-15 05:31:35

I am (becoming?) a grumpy old woman, I cannot be bothered to watch television, I find most of it boring and incomprehensible, a trait that was shared by most of the residents in my aunt's care home. Ten years ago when another relation was in a care home there seemed to be television on in all the rooms all the time.

daffydil Fri 12-Jun-15 14:04:23

91 year old auntie had to spend a few days in hospital and when we went to visit her on her first afternoon she asked us to pop to her flat to get a few things she had forgotten. When we asked for the front door key she said she thought it might get lost in the hospital so after locking the door she had posted the key through the letter box. It took a magnet and a piece of string to retrieve it.

Lona Fri 12-Jun-15 14:06:45

I know I'm old because my dgd keeps telling me so! grin

trisher Fri 12-Jun-15 14:12:57

It's not age annodomini it's called good taste. It's just not funny,

Bellanonna Fri 12-Jun-15 15:11:34

Watched it once. Unfunny in the extreme.

loopylou Fri 12-Jun-15 15:41:53

I'm afraid that I find a number of supposedly funny programmes anything but entertaining.
Like FlicketyB I suspect I'm probably already a grumpy old woman

Dare'taskDHorchildrenbecauseiwon'tliketheanswer

grin

KatyK Fri 12-Jun-15 16:08:18

When we go out for a meal with the whole family, all of us over 50 pass the reading glasses around so we can see the menu, much to the younger folks' amusement smile

downtoearth Fri 12-Jun-15 16:34:06

instead of having a cup of tea ....we have a nice cup of tea..brew....falling over becomes having a fall sad