Gransnet forums

Chat

You know you're getting old when .......

(75 Posts)
Sheena Sun 07-Jun-15 10:53:08

you think (no, you know ) you've got supper in the freezer.....but you haven't ?

Yesterday evening after a busy day with the grandkids I had planned just a quick pizza and chips (with a side salad of course !! the healthy bit !) and a big glass of vino.....and I knew I had the pizza in the freezer all ready to go.
I got extra topping all prepared, salad made, chips put n the oven ....and yes, that's right, no pizza confused .

Luckily we have good old Budgens just round the so I despatched hubby off on a pizza hunt (had to remind him he was still in his slippers though)...so we got our supper after all !

I'm definitely slipping grin !

annodomini Fri 12-Jun-15 16:45:14

I'm taking a magnifying glass to Majorca tomorrow because I can't read the small print in the guide book.

mrsmopp Sun 21-Jun-15 14:51:21

Reading a book do you forget who the characters are and have to turn back the pages to remind yourself who's who? I'm getting worse. And with a TV drama over several episodes, I'm asking Dh 'who's that? ' as I swear I've not seen that character before. Definitely losing the plot. sad

annodomini Sun 21-Jun-15 15:08:08

And that magnifying glass proved to be very useful for both my sister and me, not only for the guidebook but also for the maps and transport timetables provided for tourists.

rosesarered Sun 21-Jun-15 20:24:59

Losing your reading glasses thing, we used to shout " they are on your head Mother!" Nowadays I am just the same, only it is DH who is shouting it.

absent Sun 21-Jun-15 21:42:06

Absentdaughter reckons that both her father and her stepfather are definitely old men because they will invariably order fish and chips whenever we all go to a restaurant regardless of anything else on the menu.

Coolgran65 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:37:49

Reading glasses are on a string around my neck.
Computer glasses on my head. smile

annodomini Sun 21-Jun-15 23:11:48

For that reason, coolgran, it came as something of a relief when I had to wear them all the time so they were always on my nose.

NittWitt Mon 22-Jun-15 22:14:19

While reading a book, I often get the feeling that I've already read it when I know that I definitely haven't. confused

Falconbird Tue 23-Jun-15 07:10:46

When I was teaching adults in an evening class (I was in my late 50s) I reached for my glasses and everything went dark.

After a few seconds of complete panic I realised I'd put my sunglasses on instead of my reading glasses.

grin

Spangler Thu 23-Jul-20 07:22:48

You can remember all the Watch with Mother programs: Picture Book; Andy Pandy; Bill & Ben; Rag, Tag & Bobtail and The Woodentops. But I can't remember all the meals that I cooked last week.

There's lots of amusing signs about getting old, and one that did make me smile I saw in a magazine:

when you get a new girlfriend at the old care home, she's 90 years young and you are 95 , and she makes you feel like you were 80 again!
Priceless!

BBbevan Thu 23-Jul-20 18:56:27

glassortwo DH and I recently built a stone garden wall. We calculated that I mixed 165 buckets of cement mortar . Lovely when it was finished, and I nearly was.!!

rockgran Thu 23-Jul-20 19:15:44

I panicked yesterday that my sight had suddenly gone strange in one eye - realised the lens had dropped out of my specs! (I found it.)

MrsEggy Thu 23-Jul-20 19:25:26

Ran round the house hunting for my phone, only to realise I'd handed it to DH to continue my chat with DS!

Nortsat Thu 23-Jul-20 21:52:53

Falconbird and rockgran you both made me laugh about glasses.

I was really worried about my eyesight one morning, I was half asleep but couldn’t read my iPad, the screen was very blurred. I worried and rubbed my eyes. After about 5 mins I realised I was wearing my ‘distance’ glasses.

momat Fri 24-Jul-20 08:44:16

Had a to tell about my funny session with glasses.Went to stay with a friend before Covid) and we were doing a crossword.I put on glasses to read it as you do.Later in the day she asked me to help set up something on the video player and she went to put on her glasses. Couldn't find them anywhere, we searched everyplace you could think of no luck.Later in the day we went out for dinner and I went to my bag for my glasses and what did I find two pair.By the way I am new here.

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 09:03:33

Remember Victoria Wood saying about getting old when you walked past the Scholl shoe display and thought “ooh they look comfy”

Aldom Fri 24-Jul-20 22:32:36

Momat If you have popped back to look at the thread, hello and welcome. ??

momat Sun 26-Jul-20 09:02:25

Hello and thanks for the welcome.

farview Sun 26-Jul-20 09:32:22

Just got everything assembled on the worktop ready to make a cake...H back from his walk asked what I was doing..."making a cake for after tea"...he pointed to the Tupperware cake box and said "why what's wrong with the one you made on Friday "....heck!!!

BlueSky Sun 26-Jul-20 09:55:19

When doctors, newsreaders, even pilots (as well as the usual policeman) look like school kids! confused

BlueSky Sun 26-Jul-20 09:58:52

Falconbird

When I was teaching adults in an evening class (I was in my late 50s) I reached for my glasses and everything went dark.

After a few seconds of complete panic I realised I'd put my sunglasses on instead of my reading glasses.

grin

Falconbird grin
I've had panic attacks to do with glasses, smeared lenses made me think of sudden cataract! grin

Jane43 Sun 26-Jul-20 12:50:14

Husbands do strange things too. I searched high and low for the lettuce only to find DH had put it in the freezer! He has also been out at least twice in his slippers. He’s done lots of other strange things too but I can’t remember them!

When we were getting off the boat after our one and only cruise I made DH go back with me to search for a small carrier bag containing small gifts for the grandchildren. We went back to our cabin then retraced our steps but no luck. As we sat down in the coach taking us from the docks to the airport I said to DH we would have to buy something else at the airport, looked down and there was the carrier bag hooked over my wrist.

timetogo2016 Sun 26-Jul-20 13:41:00

Well this thread has made my day and reading it to my oh has made his day too.
Were not alone then.
We need more threads like this one.
Thank you Sheena.

annep1 Sun 26-Jul-20 14:24:26

Some of these made me laugh out loud.

I once sat outside Brighton train station with one lens missing in my sunglasses and didn't even notice! It did give my a son a laugh when he arrived. I wonder what passersby thought. It was on the ground beside the bench.