Gransnet forums

Chat

School shoes

(76 Posts)
Iamgran81 Wed 24-Jun-15 09:09:05

Granddaughter 13 is getting into trouble over her school shoes.
She wears black shoe zone ugg style boots
The school states all black footwear do I don't see the issue

newist Wed 24-Jun-15 22:59:37

A trifle would be lovely, could it be a sherry one, thanks Phoenix.

Soutra Wed 24-Jun-15 23:01:12

I'd love to go to that museum, I'm a big fan grin <the old ones are always the best>

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Jun-15 23:19:11

Did anyone know there is a corset museum in Market Harborough? I did so Nyaaah.

Anne58 Wed 24-Jun-15 23:22:43

Of course newist and made in the special (albeit time consuming) way!

If you want to know what the "special" way is, remind me tomorrow, as I must moon

Oh heavens, when that is typed, that is before posting, and the smiley's are just words, rather than pictures, it look as though I'm saying that I must expose my bare buttocks! [shock!

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, buttocks and all!

Sleep well everyone.

newist Wed 24-Jun-15 23:23:05

That would be well worth a visit Nellie

ninathenana Wed 24-Jun-15 23:27:47

phoenix you need a gimbal for your trifle.

Nelliemoser Thu 25-Jun-15 00:34:34

Is there a gimbal factory somewhere and what is a gimbal?

Grandma2213 Thu 25-Jun-15 01:06:54

Nelliemoser. A gimbal would keep Phoenix's trifle steady and stop it slopping over in transit. You could pop into the National Maritime Museum on your tour to find one!

By the way, the British Lawnmower Museum in Southport would make a fascinating addition to your itinerary.

Anne58 Thu 25-Jun-15 08:04:29

I'm sure that the pencil museum was somewhere like Northumberland? However Devon does have Barometer World!

Soutra Thu 25-Jun-15 08:51:52

Surely the pencil museum is in Keswick (Lakeland Pencils are they not?)
And if we are in the Lake District we could go to the high shrine of all things domestic, the Lakeland flagship store in Windermere.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-15 10:43:11

The dog collar museum at Leeds castle is an absolute must for a riveting, as well as educational, day out. Plenty of areas too where a picnic can be enjoyed though I fear trifles would be a trifle messy to deal with.
But there must be a more relevant (to this thread) footwear through the ages type of thing. Does anyone know of one ? Nothing Uggly, just some elegant examples of what our female forebears forced put their feet into

Soutra Thu 25-Jun-15 11:38:55

Is that not the subject of the V&A exhibition?

Anyway, this thread is not really about shoes, school or otherwise, nor is it about Uggs/plimsolls/uniform or grandchildren is it?

ninathenana Thu 25-Jun-15 12:07:47

There is a shoe museum in Northampton and one in London.
Bella Leeds Castle is beautiful isn't it. We visit quiet often.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-15 12:10:32

Agree, Nina. Annual entrance ticket makes it easy to go back again.

loopylou Thu 25-Jun-15 20:10:43

The Costume Museum in Bath Bellanonna is well worth visiting-and not a ruddy black plimsoll, Uggly whotsit or whatever to be seen.
Clarke used to have a shoe museum in Street (Somerset) if shoe overdose is required (and so long as I don't have to go too!)

Can you freeze trifle? I fancy one right now hmm

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-15 20:17:19

Think I'm going to have a busy year Loopy! No idea about freezing trifle, sorry. Ours always get eaten up.

grrrranny Thu 25-Jun-15 20:23:17

Been a bit busy planning route for kittylester and myself with the kayak. Perhaps Grand Union Leicester Section across a bit then Oxford Canal then pick up Kennet & Avon to Bristol and the sea. Map seems to suggest we may need to carry it a bit so we might need more than frozen trifle and choice of footwear a bit of a problem.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-15 20:27:59

Wellies? Uggs not waterproof

grrrranny Thu 25-Jun-15 21:07:05

Or flip-flops as splashes may get inside wellies and that would be uncomfortable.

loopylou Thu 25-Jun-15 21:14:25

You might have a bit of a trek between Oxford canal and K&A, not to mention all the locks on Caen Hill in Devizes - suppose you could just use the canoe like a toboggan on the towpath, but make sure you stop for coffee at the tea rooms there!

I could help on that bit if you need a breather grin
And there are a number of lovely canal side pubs on the next stretch for refuelling.......

Anne58 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:18:20

For many years I used to make a special trifle for Christmas. On Christmas Day not much of it was eaten, so it became my personal habit to have trifle for breakfast on Boxing Day grin

grrrranny Thu 25-Jun-15 21:43:17

Seen those locks and glad we would be heading down on toboggan. Coming together nicely though what with tea rooms, pubs, offers of help (blister packs?) and perhaps Phoenix would have some left over Christmas trifle. I wonder if a little go in a kayak before setting off would be advisable as they don't look as if they would be easy to drive. Also wonder where the diesel for the motor would go in as I don't see a filler cap in the pictures?

newist Thu 25-Jun-15 22:01:28

I feel I must add a comment at this stage, I am the motor for my "Tinkerbell".
Phoenix you did say you would give the recipe for your trifle, Please,

rosesarered Thu 25-Jun-15 23:27:09

Several times, while in Devon, passing the sign for the Barometer Museum, I wondered exactly how bored I must have to be with life, to venture in there.

rosesarered Thu 25-Jun-15 23:27:52

Perhaps if I had a lot of sherry trifle first though?