Gransnet forums

Chat

Clocks going back

(87 Posts)
Spidergran5 Sat 24-Oct-15 12:08:02

While my children are fretting over how DGCs will sleep tonight/tomorrow, I'm quite looking forward to the extra hour in bed grin

rosesarered Sat 24-Oct-15 12:13:43

Hoooray! an extra hour.

shysal Sat 24-Oct-15 12:18:01

For me it will be an extra hour awake, as I never sleep for more than about 4-5 hours. I usually try to go to bed later. It will be nice to have it lighter in the mornings for a while, but don't like dark evenings.

loopylou Sat 24-Oct-15 13:23:37

I just think I might spend the hour going back to bed with a lovely cup of milky 'proper' coffee and a good book......... Or even better, send DH downstairs to get the aforementioned grin

merlotgran Sat 24-Oct-15 14:18:31

The dogs always look amazed when they get their dinner an hour early. grin

Pittcity Sat 24-Oct-15 14:56:34

I need extra sleep after the faff of changing the clocks. Glad we have changed some to those that adjust themselves.

hildajenniJ Sat 24-Oct-15 15:06:02

"The dark days before Christmas" is how my mother used to describe the time after we put the clocks back. I have a December birthday, you would think that I would like this time of year, but no! I detest the short days of winter. Give me the summer any day.

AlieOxon Sat 24-Oct-15 15:27:31

It is odd not having to change all the clocks!

I also have to re-time my pills which I take at 9am and 9pm.....so will take them at 8.30 for a few days and then back to 9?.....I think I have it the right way round this time! Or do I?

rosesarered Sat 24-Oct-15 18:22:17

Hilda ' the dark days before Christmas'..... That sounds very Game Of Thrones, a bit like 'Winter is coming !' grin

apricot Sat 24-Oct-15 19:10:47

Surely most people get up whenever they like on Sundays so the only ones getting the mythical extra hour are those who have to go to work on Sunday morning?
I HATE this messing about with the clocks. It takes me and the animals a fortnight to adjust every time.

downtoearth Sat 24-Oct-15 19:22:52

agree withApricot hate the changing of the clocks it takes ages for my body to adjust ..

Ana Sat 24-Oct-15 19:26:08

apricot, I was thinking the same, about the getting up thing!

I suppose some people are creatures of habit and have a set 'time' that they get up every morning...not me now I've retired (and never on a Sunday anyway!) wink

Alea Sat 24-Oct-15 19:39:47

So much for " an extra hour" it takes me that long to change 1) the boiler clock , 2)) the cooker clock, 3) the kitchen clock, 4) the bedside clock, 5) my mobile phone clck 6) the iPad ( or does it do it, itself?) 7) the burglar alarm clock 8) the car clock 9) my watch.
At least I no longer have to worry about the video or DVD recorder, but it goes on for ever.

NanKate Sat 24-Oct-15 19:44:29

'Oh woe is me', as Frankie Howard used to say. I hate the dark afternoon/evenings. My body appears to go into hibernation mode. I feel ready for bed at about 8.00 pm shock

Luckygirl Sat 24-Oct-15 20:08:54

This tinkering with the clocks is a pain. I hate the dark late afternoons.

shysal Sat 24-Oct-15 20:11:34

I have already changed all my clocks, blush I was tempted to do it this morning, but resisted until after tea. Anyone else done theirs?

cornergran Sat 24-Oct-15 20:34:53

Not yet, shysal - and won't change the one in the bedroom our DGC are sleeping in until tomorrow. grin

annodomini Sat 24-Oct-15 20:36:24

Even after ten years, I still have to do battle with my cooker to put its clock back or forward. It would be a disaster if I couldn't find the manual. I've given up on the microwave. One clock in the kitchen is enough.

stillhere Sat 24-Oct-15 20:44:31

I hate it, it makes me really angry even when I had to go to work in the dark mornings. I would rather go to work in the mornings knowing it was going to get light soon, and know that I could get home in the light for most of the year. As soon as it starts to get dark my energy levels drop, and always have done.

Indinana Sat 24-Oct-15 21:24:07

This is the day I hate most in all the calendar. I can't bear the sudden shift to darkness in the late afternoon, which I find really depressing. And I can never remember, from one time change to the next, how to adjust the clock in my car.
Like shysal it will just mean an extra hour awake for me, as I sleep so badly.
merlot at this time of year aren't your dogs in a big sulk because you're feeding them an hour late, not early?

NanKate Sat 24-Oct-15 21:32:03

Indinana I put a note in my diary each time I change the clock in the car so I know exactly how to do it. It just requires you to look at the handbook once and from then on just check the instructions you have given yourself in your diary and hey presto SORTED.

Indinana Sat 24-Oct-15 22:23:24

Good thinking Nankate. I shall make a note on my iPhone this time, or perhaps I could type it out on a small piece of paper, laminate it, and keep it in the glovebox. Thanks!

merlotgran Sat 24-Oct-15 22:31:02

Quite right, Indinana.

I'm confused already and it hasn't even happened yet. confused

nightowl Sat 24-Oct-15 22:33:48

Spare a thought for the poor shift workers who have to work an extra hour through the night tonight. I did it for twelve years (though I didn't work this particular shift every year) and this time of year always brings back the memory of the awful long night and that moment when the clock went back and I had to work the hour over again. No extra pay either sad

Pittcity Sat 24-Oct-15 22:35:21

Just got in from seeing The Mousetrap at our local theatre and have put the clocks back so that it is not too late to sit up with a drink for a while. No hurry to get up tomorrow.