Gransnet forums

Chat

Clocks going back

(88 Posts)
Spidergran5 Sat 24-Oct-15 12:08:02

While my children are fretting over how DGCs will sleep tonight/tomorrow, I'm quite looking forward to the extra hour in bed grin

Ana Sat 24-Oct-15 22:39:03

DH worked the night shift for many years too, but of course the extra hour worked in October was balanced out by the hour less he had to work when the clocks went forward in the spring. No less pay either!

nightowl Sat 24-Oct-15 22:57:46

Yes Ana you're right the night shift when the clocks went forward was a real bonus and there would have been moans if that had resulted in less pay! Unfortunately it was pot luck who got which shift, and it was unlikely to be the same person doing both in any one year. I'm just glad it's no longer me doing either! smile

gillybob Sat 24-Oct-15 23:06:44

I'm with you shysal an extra hour in bed means only an extra hour in bed not an extra hour of much needed sleep. I am currently surviving on only a few hours per night, the rest being spent wandering around the house, standing at the back door, reading, fretting, sweating etc. An "extra hour" means nothing to me.

Elrel Sat 24-Oct-15 23:26:32

I've just pointed out to my son and the teenagers here that the 5 year old and his baby sister won't actually realise that they have an extra hour in bed!

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Oct-15 23:33:06

For me I will probably be waking up aching earlier than I would like about 5pm instead of 6pm. I want a decent night sleep.
If I am awake I have to get up as I can't sit up in bed and read and my arms ache if I lie down and hold the book up. Fed up with myself right now. does anyone have a magic wand?

ninathenana Sun 25-Oct-15 00:34:07

I empathise Nellie if I wake early I have get up due to my aches.

I wonder if there's anyone daft enough to actually stay up until 2am or what ever the official time is, to change their clocks grin
Why don't they just say midnight. I did mine at 11pm when I came to bed.

numberplease Sun 25-Oct-15 01:39:02

Hubby did ours at ten to twelve, then he went to bed, even though it was then only 11pm. I was thinking I`d be in bed by 1am instead of the usual 2 or later, yet here I am, still on here! I`ve smacked my fingers and told myself to get to bed, so goodnight all!

Grandma2213 Sun 25-Oct-15 01:55:45

Strangely the change of clocks rarely affects me. When I wake up and look at the clock I feel accordingly. If it's 6am it's too early and I go back to sleep. If it's 10am I have had a great lie in and I'm well rested (no matter how many hours of sleep I have actually had) It seems to be all in the mind with me!

When I have the grandchildren that is a different matter!!!! It's all in their minds!

whitewave Sun 25-Oct-15 06:13:59

Been awake since 5am!

Spidergran5 Sun 25-Oct-15 06:17:53

Same here whitewave - so much for the lie in!!

Alea Sun 25-Oct-15 06:50:22

Rubbish night, awake like the others in the wee small hours wondering if my alarm would go off at 5 to 7, or possibly 5 to 6, or indeed 5 to 8 as DH wants to go to church at 9 o clock. [grumpy]

Gagagran Sun 25-Oct-15 06:51:47

We were both awake at 4.45am and decided to get up as we are normally up by 6am and our body clocks are still on the old time.

Falconbird Sun 25-Oct-15 07:12:09

I went to bed an hour later and that seems to have balanced things out.

M0nica Sun 25-Oct-15 07:16:34

Oh dear, I love the dark evenings and coming into the light and warmth indoors.

I like an early morning walk, I like to be out and about by 7.00, when few people or cars are about and I can have the footpaths and autumn beauty to myself but for the last few weeks this is no possible, now I get a few more weeks of early walks, before my walks again have to drift towards 8.00am or later.

This afternoon we will light the fire, draw the curtains and have a traditional English tea, crumpets, cake and a pot of tea.

thatbags Sun 25-Oct-15 07:40:40

I don't think my body clock ever leaves GMT. It's the change to BST in the spring that does my head in wink

rosesarered Sun 25-Oct-15 07:56:44

Grrrrrrr, woke up at 7 a.m.( the real 7 a.m) so no extra hour for me.

mollie Sun 25-Oct-15 08:04:28

Nightowl: I'd never thought about that. But I suppose the opposite happens in the spring when we do it all in reverse? Still, who wants to work an extra hour and for free??hmm

goose1964 Sun 25-Oct-15 08:18:05

so much for a lie in I was wide awake at 4.30 so got up & watch Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkahban on sky

SusieB50 Sun 25-Oct-15 08:24:51

So, I was awake at my usual 6.30 but now 5.30!. DH still snoring "sweetly " next to me. I got up eventually at 6 to a freezing house even though our new state of the art boiler is supposed to know the time changes !
I hate all this messing around with clocks , dark afternoons and then eventually dark mornings too . When I worked I hated going to work and coming home in the dark .We are having a big family meet up today and I'm sure all the grandchildren will also have been awake since 5 and starving at 11.30 !!

pensionpat Sun 25-Oct-15 08:30:13

I didn't get round to changing the clock in my car last time. I knew it would be correct now.

loopylou Sun 25-Oct-15 08:31:55

Don't know what happened there....slept till 8.30 'new time', absolutely unheard of for me!

loopylou Sun 25-Oct-15 08:33:37

Only on iPad so early because had no idea what time it was and checked the time!

ajanela Sun 25-Oct-15 08:33:58

No. But I will be in bed earlier tonight,

Jan Sun 25-Oct-15 08:36:57

I hate hate hate it! It is soooo depressing. Lets have Summer time all year or at least - if they have to change the clocks - do it at the end of November and back again at the beginning of March so we only have 3 months of dark evenings- not 5!

chrissyh Sun 25-Oct-15 09:00:09

My daughter was very excited when I text to remind her the clocks were to go back an hour. As she was due to start work at 6am she did get an extra hour in bed. She was glad she wasn't on a 12 hour night shift which, obviously, would turn into 13 hours.