Gransnet forums

Chat

Clocks going back

(88 Posts)
Spidergran5 Sat 24-Oct-15 12:08:02

While my children are fretting over how DGCs will sleep tonight/tomorrow, I'm quite looking forward to the extra hour in bed grin

FarNorth Tue 27-Oct-15 15:54:26

Well said, Apricot.
Show some gumption, people, and don't give in to the tyranny of timepieces!

merlotgran Tue 27-Oct-15 14:35:18

I'm still waking up an hour early which is annoying but the dogs don't seem to mind!

Nothing ever affects DH's ability to sleep like a log. angry

AlieOxon Tue 27-Oct-15 12:04:34

Unexpectedly, I seem to have adjusted, which isn't usual......family crises, sometimes late evening, have left me not caring what time it is, so I woke at 9 this morning ready to take my pills...........

stillhere Tue 27-Oct-15 11:48:09

I'm still running on old time, and will be for weeks. Jetlag always used to affect me really badly. If I'm lucky I will have got used to this new time by xmas. DBH is annoying me by waking up at the new 5.30 because he simply can't hang on and go to bed an hour 'later'.

Lona Tue 27-Oct-15 08:47:07

I feel sorry for those of you who struggle to adapt. It hasn't made any difference to me, I'm still waking up at 7am, which is when my alarm used to go off!

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Oct-15 08:40:56

Woke at 5, but with much effort managed to doze for again for a while. I feel completely limp - but that could be the after effects of DGS yesterday!

Elizabeth1 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:35:51

Trek oops

Elizabeth1 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:35:28

I do love Star Treck wink

Elegran Tue 27-Oct-15 08:05:17

Double summer time would make for some interesting journeys - an hour and ten minutes flying Edinburgh to Bristol would still have you arriving about an hour before you left. With standard summer time, at least the journey would be almost instantaneous - beam me down Scotty.

NanKate Tue 27-Oct-15 07:13:51

I suppose if Scotland does in the near future leave the UK, that would be a perfect timing for them to keep their time and the rest of the UK to revert to Double Summer time - I think that is what they used to call it. sunshine

Elizabeth1 Tue 27-Oct-15 06:04:57

whitewave I've been awake since 4.45am once again (humbug) too early for me.

Bellasnana Mon 26-Oct-15 18:51:49

My dog still goes frantic at 5pm thinking it's time for 'din-dins'. I gave in yesterday even though his usual dinner time is 6pm. Tonight we stretched it to 5.30pm. Poor little chap is very confused grin

apricot Mon 26-Oct-15 18:24:50

I don't know why people change umpteen clocks. I have one clock and I wear a watch. Just because manufacturers build in digital clocks in everything from the toaster to the Hoover doesn't mean you need to ever look at them.

Elegran Mon 26-Oct-15 08:59:09

I wish it would stay at GMT. If the sun is bright early on a summer morning, that is fine, we can get up earlier to take advantage of it if we want to. The winter darkening is gradual and we adjust to it. This sudden change twice a year is what upsets our systems.

NfkDumpling Mon 26-Oct-15 07:09:37

I'm so glad I'm not alone Nankate! As Elegran says, it doesn't gain anyone any extra daylight.

I understood the clocks were changed so children didn't walk home in the dark, but around here they now come out at 3.00pm when it was 4.00 when I was at school so I don't see the problem.

As for the getting in of northern cows in/ out the dark, I'm sure that, although Scottish cows are probably very intelligent, I never understood how a cow could be told it was going to be milked an hour earlier/later the next day. It must take some readjusting and complicate things for cowpersons!

NanKate Mon 26-Oct-15 06:42:01

Have others not gave others !

NanKate Mon 26-Oct-15 06:41:18

Jet lagged is just the word for it Nfk I am sitting here in bed with a cuppa having that hung over feeling trying to get myself up and running for Keep Fit. I am usually fine at this time of day. I shall just have to get on with it.

Nice to gave others to moan with. smile

NfkDumpling Mon 26-Oct-15 06:27:26

Good morning. I'm up! Been awake since five. I hate the clocks changing, it takes me days to recover my equilibrium. I feel jet lagged!

Living in the east of the U.K, I get the sun first anyway. I don't care whether they stay on GMT or BST, I just wish they'd stay put!

LuckyDucky Mon 26-Oct-15 06:11:51

Hi Alea Don't wish to wind you up but,smile

You could buy radio controlled clock(s), then there'd be one less.,
like your bedside clock. Think your ipad should change back itself.

It would be interesting to find out if new car technology updates
the interior clock hmm.

yogagran Sun 25-Oct-15 21:21:36

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

MaryXYX Sun 25-Oct-15 17:36:43

I had an extra hour chatting to a good friend in New York. The clocks do matter to me because we had a choir practice before morning service at my church so I had to be up early enough to go for the bus.

whitewave Sun 25-Oct-15 15:27:29

Long day isn't it?grin

Nannanoo Sun 25-Oct-15 13:58:40

I like the 'clocks back' thing. I didn't have an extra hour in bed, but got up as usual, then felt smug 'cos all my chores were done early. I listened to The Archers omnibus whilst catching up with the ironing at a leisurely pace.
I couldn't help remembering tho', that back in the Dark Ages when I was a student nurse, if we were on night duty when the clocks went back, we worked the extra hour without complaint - but when the clocks went forward, and our night was an hour shorter, we were expected to stay on duty to make up the time. That still rankles even after 50+ years!

hulahoop Sun 25-Oct-15 13:18:50

I had 9month old grandson overnight so less sleep than normal . I used to work extra hour when working but also got less hour in spring so can't complain always seems to take me days s to adjust I don't like dark evenings but like autumn days .

Elegran Sun 25-Oct-15 11:45:58

Summer time is the aberration, not winter time. Don't be too quick to think it is just a few wimpy farmers in Scotland who don't want to get up in the dark, either. There is a gradual lessening of winter light across the whole of the UK, from south to north, and a variation all year in sunrise and sunset from East to west.

Every year it is evident that many people don't know that the further north you go, the shorter the winter daylight is, and the further west you go, the later the sun rises.

It is not just a matter of the clocks being an hour earlier or later, the whole day from sunrise to sunset is shorter, and the sun in lower in the sky, so gives less light.

Sunrise on Dec 22
London - 08:04am
Glasgow - 08:46am

Daylight hours on Dec 22nd
Plymouth - 08:01 hours
Manchester - 07:28 hours
Edinburgh - 06:57 hours
Wick - 06:20 hours

Sunlight quality on Dec 22nd
"In the summer it doesn’t really matter where you are in the UK in terms of the potential daily radiation because although the intensity may be less in the north, this is compensated by a longer daylength. It is when you come to the winter that it gets worse, if you are living in Shetland. In the winter, whereas we have got about 8 MJ/m2 of radiation at the edge of the atmosphere in Penzance, it decreases to about 2 in Shetland. So if you are suffering from SAD it could make a big difference where you live in the UK.

"There are important geographical differences in the amount of cloud cover, so comparing similar sorts of latitude, if you are on the Essex coast you might be expecting an annual average about 4 hours of sunshine per day whilst in the Welsh mountains you will be receiving on average 1 hour per day less sunshine. And if you live in the Scottish Highlands then you would lose another hour’s sunshine a day on average (Met Office, 2009)."
www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Sunlight+quality+latitude