Gransnet forums

Chat

Not Good Morning!

(70 Posts)
grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jan-16 05:12:27

Won't bore you with details!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Jan-16 10:37:43

Oh this is such a mean thread! Talk about encouraging paranoia!

Are you sure you aren't interpreting straightforward positive advice as 'nastiness'? Honeyed words may sound cosy but they may not ncssarily be the advice need. hmm

Threads like this shouldn't happen. Cowardy Custard comes to mind.

angry

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Jan-16 10:39:58

I'm off this thread. Got better things to think about, thank the Lord. Grandsons coming today. sunshine

NanaandGrampy Sun 24-Jan-16 10:51:21

And that's exactly what the OP meant Jingl!

Good advice CAN be couched in honeyed words ! It's funny how when people tell you something 'for your own good' it almost always is hurtful. And 'straightforward' is another way of being hurtful sometimes.

Threads like this absolutely SHOULD happen. Are you disregarding how the OP feels? Just because you disagree doesn't make you right and her wrong it just highlights the difference between your 'style' and hers .

There's nothing mean or paranoid about this thread - its an honest comment about how the OP feels.

janeainsworth Sun 24-Jan-16 10:55:12

I agree with jingl.
shock

janeainsworth Sun 24-Jan-16 10:56:52

The OP is basically saying 'Gransnet is full of mean people. Discuss.'
No thanks.

Badenkate Sun 24-Jan-16 11:01:54

I haven't been on Gransnet very long, but one thing that has been very obvious is that some posters do seem to glorify in 'plain speaking' and 'telling it how it is'. I think those two phrases have a very important element to them, and that's the verbal part. Unfortunately, we're taking part in a written activity, and words once sent remain there. Most people, if they say something which clearly upsets their listener, even if the intention is for the best, will attempt to find a more appropriate way of giving advice. However, we all, I'm sure, know people who don't have the ability to empathise with others. It would be great to have the ability to personally block posters as you can on other sites.

NanaandGrampy Sun 24-Jan-16 11:02:03

I disagree * Janeainsworth* I don't think what she was saying was that at all, she mentioned 'a member'. A single member. So that's hardly like saying Gransnet is full of mean girls . BUT I'm not the OP so thats just my take on it.

And we have discussed this already in part when we had a lengthy and lively debate about politeness on the internet.

The OP is as entitled to start this thread as you are to disagree.

NanaandGrampy Sun 24-Jan-16 11:03:10

Well said Badenkate

janeainsworth Sun 24-Jan-16 11:11:04

I didn't say she wasn't entitled to start the thread, ng.
I was agreeing with jingl that although the thread is ostensibly about grannylynn's bad morning, reason undisclosed, it's real purpose is to have a go at another forum member whom she chooses not to name.

janeainsworth Sun 24-Jan-16 11:11:41

I did not put that apostrophe in thereshock

NanaandGrampy Sun 24-Jan-16 11:17:49

and that's where its all in the interpretation of the written word isn't it * Janeainsworth* I didn't read that all. If I had maybe I would have felt differently but i took it at face value.

Its true what they say , you can write a sentence and give it to a dozen people and 99% of them will read something different into it smile

Nelliemoser Sun 24-Jan-16 11:53:15

How the heck is anyone supposed to know what this thread is about apart from a very cryptic OP from Grannylyn65

I understand the OP is upset, I can only assume that something has been said on another thread but such vague remarks tend to leave a lot of unwarranted suspicion about.

Still very [confused.]

petra Sun 24-Jan-16 12:55:12

Agree with Jingle & Jane.
My first thought on seeing the OP was, how childish, just come out with it.
It's the same as when people say " I have something to say but I don't know how to say it" my response is: just bloody say it. Once it's out, it's out.

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jan-16 13:42:05

??? To all, and as am not being cryptic, have Gastroparesis, is complicated so please google!!
Some days are not too good and today is one xxxx

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jan-16 13:44:25

And, if I could eat custard jings, I would be ?

petra Sun 24-Jan-16 14:00:12

grannylynn65. So is that what the OP was about, your having a bad day with your Gastroparesis?

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jan-16 14:44:46

yes, some days when I wake, just know it will be bad, I have had a gastric pacemaker fitted last year which helps. Some days nothing helps and I can eat nor drink anything at all.

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jan-16 14:46:49

But I usually keep quiet and try to get on with it!

janeainsworth Sun 24-Jan-16 14:50:22

I'm sorry you're having a bad day Grannylynn.flowers
I'm sure if you had posted that in the first place, you would have had nothing but kindness and sympathy.

Alea Sun 24-Jan-16 15:02:32

That does sound nasty grannylyn65, I am sure nobody would have been less than sympathetic, and there may be other sufferers out there.
I hope there are also "better" days flowers

annsixty Sun 24-Jan-16 15:11:42

Just about to post everything that Aleaposted. I feel quite sad that you feel we could be unsympathetic.

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jan-16 15:18:01

Not most of you by any means, had fantastic help before xx

Nelliemoser Sun 24-Jan-16 15:23:34

Grannylyn65 Don't be worried about coming on here for a moan. It sounds as if you have an awful lot of health issues to put up with.

There are a lot of us who use GN for a good moan we are feeling down.
In my experience most people on GN are kind with their support and sympathy when someone is beset with troubles.

Don't hesitate to post next time when you are feeling miserable. I and many others have done this. As Jane A said we did not know what you were going through in your first post.

Sending you virtual (((hugs))) and flowers

Jalima Sun 24-Jan-16 15:46:53

I did have to google it, so I won't send any cake, just flowers and sunshine
It's been grey and miserable here too, which doesn't help if you're feeling down.

My 4 year old DGD is always singing that song from Annie 'The sun'll come out tomorrow' - hope it does!

petra Sun 24-Jan-16 15:53:22

Total sympathy, grannylynn. I suffer from Diverticulitis so I do understand how things can get you down.
In the past month I have had to call the ambulance twice.