Gransnet forums

Chat

Go on ... treat yourself ...!

(82 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 26-Feb-16 12:41:34

When was the last time you treated yourself to something and what was it? Would treating yourself mean something big or something little?

It's my birthday tomorrow and I took a long walk into town and back today feeling I could do with a treat as DH has made it known that he hasn't yet got me a present - I think he intended to take me to a garden centre tomorrow, but we have family coming rather unexpectedly. ..

So ... the dizzy height I reached was the thought of buying a Belgian bun (!!!) but my favourite bakery was so busy I gave up. Mind you, I did 'treat' myself to a second hand book from a charity shop. I know how to live! smile

Marmight Fri 26-Feb-16 20:25:06

I love this thread. Happy Birthday Imperfect flowers. flowers too to Willsmadnan - enjoy the perfume. Since I was widowed I have acted very impulsively and out of character - it happens - don't feel guilty at all.....
Today (yesterday for me) I bought a very not-me dress which I love and then took DD2 out for lunch and sat happily overlooking Sydney Harbour savouring the moment.

Badenkate Fri 26-Feb-16 20:37:39

Just taking the opportunity to wish you Happy Birthday for tomorrow -imperfect - just in case you're off on the razzle and have better things to do than visit us winewine

annodomini Fri 26-Feb-16 20:47:30

I also treated myself to a small pink azalea from the brand new Aldi store just half a mile down the road. I needed something to replace the poinsettia which had, at last, withered away.

glassortwo Fri 26-Feb-16 21:35:17

Happy birthday for tomorrow imperfect, nothing nicer than a treat flowers wine
Jingle wish you were my Mum that sounds lovely grin but do you know I cant remember the last time I bought myself a treat.

ninathenana Sat 27-Feb-16 01:13:57

Happy Birthday imperfect flowerswine

Willow500 Sat 27-Feb-16 06:33:28

Happy Birthday from me to imperfect cupcake have a lovely day. I don't think anyone should feel guilty about treating themselves - you are only here once and life's too short to spend it feeling guilty (says she who frequently treats herself!!). I spent many years making and filling dolls houses and have a very large one my dad made me at the time as well as a shop he made my mum - there is also a cottage in the wardrobe upstairs as there is nowhere for it to go. Definitely go for it Watermeadow - it's a great hobby - just be prepared for it to become an obsession - you will look at everything in a different way wondering what you can make with it and will become a hoarder of 'rubbish' grin

Imperfect27 Sat 27-Feb-16 07:06:24

Thank you all for your birthday good wishes.

A lovely start to my day with cards and gifts and then a long discussion with DH about what to have for supper. We went through several meal ideas involving beef which I would have cooked, then remembered DS2's girlfriend doesn't like red meat so DH is going to cook jerk chicken and coconut rice. Looking forward to family gathering and counting blessings. wine cupcake The past year has been pretty awful for me apart from GS arriving so here's hoping the next is substantially better.

Hope you all have a good day xx

mumofmadboys Sat 27-Feb-16 07:07:02

Happy birthday Imperfect! Hope you have some nice treats!.

Imperfect27 Sat 27-Feb-16 07:18:43

Well definitely a treat day today and thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. xx

Out tutoring this morning so the treats will start when I return ... traditional birthday breakfast (brunch today) of croissants, pain-aux chocolat and bucks fizz and then family gathering later for a special dinner and birthday cake. Perfect.

Jings what a pity you weren't able to enjoy giving a doll's house to your GS - such a lovely idea. watermeadow, hope you are in time to buy the one you have seen. DD1 had a doll's house that my FIL made and it was so lovely to buy little things for it over the years - and I know my DS x2 enjoyed playing with it too. Unfortunately it had to be housed in a damp garage for several years and suffered to the point of no repair. My SIL is very good at DIY so maybe he will build one in time, though he is also very traditional in some respects (half Greek!) and might not think it fitting for a son!

Lona Sat 27-Feb-16 08:39:11

Hope you enjoy your birthday imperfect ????

Neversaydie Sat 27-Feb-16 09:35:26

DD 2 had a dolls house started my by dad ,who sadly died , and finished by a friend for her 9th birthday.We enjoyed furnishing it together and used to visit the Miniature show at the NEC every year .I made a set of people for it and got quite addicted. It currently resides in our garage as it's too big to go through the loft hatch Go for it £100 is a good price
My most recent treats were some Penhaglion perfume (Peony Neuve)from TKMaxx-good price -and a bunch of red roses for Valentine's day (DH rarely leaves the house ,hates shopping and would not have thought of it! I've given up minding and treat myself)

inishowen Sat 27-Feb-16 10:10:04

I don't treat myself, but hubby treats me. We go out once a week for a lovely breakfast. I love wandering around charity shops, but find it difficult to spend big money in a posh store. We are comfortably off now, but the years of being frugal just won't go away. I love to knit and could afford to buy the best yarn, but I buy the cheap stuff in Poundstretchers! I wish I could learn to treat myself. Today I will go out and buy a lipstick.

Treecycler Sat 27-Feb-16 10:14:09

Hello, new poster here! Hope you don't mind if I join in.

Happy Birthday Imperfect, ? and many of 'em. It's funny what is a treat and what is not. Sometimes an ordinary thing, like a bun and coffee while out can be the most wonderful thing, because it lifts your day. Sometimes having a day out can end up being a bind and not a treat, because of complicated travel arrangements. I'm fairly happy with basic treats these days, and one of my main ones is buying new patterns, or fabric! I'm a fabric hoarder extraordinaire! I'd also tend to go for Imperfect27's treat. A bun, a book. What could be better!

I love the idea of the doll's house treat, Watermeadow. I'm sure it will provide you with countless hours of fun and pleasure. My treat this week was pattern Kwik Sew 3658 (on sale). I haven't had a dress in ages since I mostly wear trousers now, and the neckline looked fun.?

Alea Sat 27-Feb-16 10:21:20

I agree treecycler and also feel that when something becomes a habit, the "treat" element starts to fade.
When I was working and going through a particularly stressful time I used to have a weekly massage or reflexology. Initially it was like "dying and going to heaven " but after a while it was still nice but no longer special. I think this misconception underlies much of the High Street shopping frenzies we see, the thrill of the "treat" which like a fix, fades faster and faster.
The law of diminishing returns? Or is it my Presbyterian upbringing?
(My free coffee and cake from John Lewis did the trick for me recently, but if I had one every week, the novelty would quickly wear off)

Tessa101 Sat 27-Feb-16 10:34:04

I treated my daughter to a show in London last Saturday. We went into London for 12 had lovely lunch and chat, then some girlie shopping then onto the theatre. A ride in the tut tut back to the tube. A truly lovely day.

thatbags Sat 27-Feb-16 10:38:50

Happy Birthday, imp! Hope you have a lovely day. ?

I love my weekly free coffee from Waitrose with a large cookie ?, eaten in the car, or sometimes near it, gazing out to sea (I park as near to the sea as the car park allows) before I drive home back round the loch.

My last big treat was a pair of on sale red Naturalista shoes and a lovely Country Roses top, also on sale, in Oban. Both shall be worn to death, they are so me! ?

Liz46 Sat 27-Feb-16 10:43:10

I occasionally treat myself to Thorntons champagne milk chocolate truffles. I gave one of my daughters precise instructions before last Christmas and she bought some expensive vegan dark chocolate ones. They were not as good!

henetha Sat 27-Feb-16 10:46:40

I feel really guilty.. Last week in Tesco's 2-pack cream doughnuts were on half price, so I bought some. When I got home, before even unpacking my shopping, I sat down and ate both. blush

NonnaAnnie Sat 27-Feb-16 11:15:35

I bought myself a pot of three hyacinths for £1.49 they are now in flower and the scent wafting around the house is delightful.

It's the simple things in life. smile

Alea Sat 27-Feb-16 11:18:29

Both of you -women after my own heart grin

Greyduster Sat 27-Feb-16 11:56:53

There is an old Persian poem, NonnaAnnie, the last line of which is "buy hyacinths to feed thy soul"! smile

Sugarpufffairy Sat 27-Feb-16 12:44:25

Happy birthday- Enjoy your day

GrannyMosh Sat 27-Feb-16 12:49:42

I wish Gransnet had a like/love button! I'm reading through these posts with great interest. I've had to live frugally for most of my life, but can now afford to treat myself sometimes. My treats to me usually involve cafting supplies, which are really a necessity for my emotional wellbeing, rather than a treat, my latest being some wonderful Visible Image stamps which have been arriving in dribs and drabs this week.

ediepop Sat 27-Feb-16 12:50:37

Birthday treated my friends and me to afternoon cream tea.
smile

MaryXYX Sat 27-Feb-16 12:56:16

I had a makeover and glamour photo-shoot last month. My first.