Gransnet forums

Chat

Bought baby food for myself!

(50 Posts)
Witzend Fri 08-Apr-16 18:09:19

I look after my baby granddaughter one day a week and usually take some ready made food. Tried her with Cow and Gate Mango Surprise recently - she ate half and I finished the rest myself. It was so delish that I treated myself to a couple of jars in Asda the other day. Just the thing for when I'm prowling around the kitchen late evening, looking for Something Nice...

grannylyn65 Fri 08-Apr-16 18:11:08

?

Greyduster Fri 08-Apr-16 18:30:08

My BF has been very ill recently and struggled to eat anything much. She said how much she missed being able to eat fruit, so I suggested she bought some jars of puréed baby fruit. She thought it was a hilarious suggestion and I would have been affronted had it not been for the fact that I hadn't seen her laugh for such a long time! She refused to take me seriously but I think she missed a trick! I used to finish up what my GS left when he was a tiny. Some of it was horrible but a lot of it was pretty good!

Stansgran Fri 08-Apr-16 19:03:16

DH loved the Heinz chocolate pudding for babies

Katek Fri 08-Apr-16 19:30:15

I used to love the little tins of apples and the puréed carrot was yummy!

harrigran Fri 08-Apr-16 23:46:05

I eat baby apple puree because raw fruit is a bit harsh on my gut. I too love Heinz chocolate pudding.

BBbevan Sat 09-Apr-16 14:26:52

I used to love baby egg custard. Can't remember the make but it was in a jar. It was one spoonful for you and one for me when feeding my daughter.

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 19:30:57

my Grandma loved the baby apple [after she ate a spoonful once] and then used to buy it regularly for herself to have with cream or custard. I do remember the choc pudding ones were nice, and sneaking a spoonful!

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 19:31:43

sounds like our babies didn't get as much as they should have done, hahah.

NanaandGrampy Sat 09-Apr-16 20:41:24

And then they changed the recipe for the Heinz chocolate pudding, and now it's horrible .

JoyBloggs Sat 09-Apr-16 21:03:59

When I was little I loved Heinz tinned 'Apple, prune and custard' and enjoyed it as an occasional treat it till I was probably about 7! blush I can still clearly remember the smell and taste, as if I'd just eaten one. Making me hungry just thinking about it... Wish they were still around.

vickya Sun 10-Apr-16 09:53:08

I used to love Farley's rusks mushed into hot milk. #1 daughter is vegan and some of the food she purees for baby granddaughter is horrible, which is good as I'm watching my weight smile

Cath9 Sun 10-Apr-16 10:06:40

I have never tasted any of the baby foods. But when I was so much younger with my first child I had no idea that one had to warm these main meals, so my poor baby son had cold main Cow & Gate meals. Thankfully he is a great eater, so gobbled them up even so.

ajanela Sun 10-Apr-16 10:15:46

Many people use to buy the tins of Heinz puree apple baby food to use for apple sauce with pork. Just the right size if there were only 2 of you.

chrissie13 Sun 10-Apr-16 10:21:56

I haven't bought them for a long time, but I used to love the Heinz Chocolate Pudding on its own, and the Heinz Peach and Apricot mixed into some mashed banana...yummy! Now I have been reminded of it I will see whether they still make it when I next go shopping!

annifrance Sun 10-Apr-16 10:27:33

have also used Apple Puree to go with roast pork.

mcculloch29 Sun 10-Apr-16 10:39:07

I too remember the Heinz Chocolate pudding with affection. My daughter was a very hungry baby, started with Robertson's baby rice at 12 weeks. If the "only milk for the first 6 months" advice had been around for her we would have had 3 months of screaming. Today she is a healthy "normal" weight. She's also 6' 2". She needed early solid foods.
I later worked as a registered childminder and always respected parents' wishes re feeding, but gosh, it was hard.

Skweek1 Sun 10-Apr-16 11:52:03

Some of these sound rather good - I can't remember the make I gave my daughters, but was dehydrated and came in boxes rather than the jars and tins of puree. They liked them - I wasn't so keen! I did use the apple as apple sauce. I still love Farleys rusks with a cuppa, but they feel expensive nowadays!brew

Juggernaut Sun 10-Apr-16 11:57:17

I don't like porridge, or any warm cereal, so my winter breakfasts are Farley's rusks with hot milk. They're also delicious at any time as a snack with butter on!

Bijou Sun 10-Apr-16 12:39:57

I have never thought about baby foods for myself.. They weren't around when mine were babies. However I will try some now that Iam in my second childhood!

Grannatu Sun 10-Apr-16 12:59:24

Does anyone remember Heinz Fruit Salad baby food? It was a lurid orange colour came in a tin and was still around when my daughter was a baby 30 years ago? Have not seen it since, but I still remember the taste smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 10-Apr-16 13:37:34

This is such a good idea! Something else for the shopping list.

My babies thrived on Heinz tins.

jackiestrutt Sun 10-Apr-16 14:15:38

Ooh, I loved Farley's Rusks in hot milk too! ?

paola Sun 10-Apr-16 14:38:27

My mum has Alzheimer's and struggles to eat. Her carer recently started feeding her baby food, and it works well. I wonder if anyone has thought of producing puréed food for the elderly.

Nelliemaggs Sun 10-Apr-16 14:40:24

This thread brought back bad memories of 1972 when my then husband and I were returning from a year in Japan, very much on the cheap, doing irresponsible things like swimming in lakes frequented by herds of water buffalo and eating ice lollies in Java. I got sick and, in spite of seeing local doctors whose medications made me still sicker, was after a while living on bananas and air. We found ourselves at Christmas in a remote part of Malaysia staying with VSO workers and while they celebrated with a proper Christmas dinner, I had a jar of Heinz 'turkey dinner ' baby food from a local store. Miserable wasn't in it. I lost two stone by the time we had 'overlanded' back to England and spent three weeks in the Hospital for Tropical Diseases.
The memory of that turkey dinner meant that I just couldn't bear to feed my children, when I had them, on shop baby food.