Gransnet forums

Chat

Bought baby food for myself!

(51 Posts)
Witzend Fri 08-Apr-16 18:09:19

I look after my baby granddaughter one day a week and usually take some ready made food. Tried her with Cow and Gate Mango Surprise recently - she ate half and I finished the rest myself. It was so delish that I treated myself to a couple of jars in Asda the other day. Just the thing for when I'm prowling around the kitchen late evening, looking for Something Nice...

Coolaboutsixty Sun 10-Apr-16 14:40:44

Farley's tusks and hot milk were about all I ate when I was small - fussy child! Reading this makes me want to try them again ?

Coolaboutsixty Sun 10-Apr-16 14:41:38

Farley's tusks!!!! Hahaha ? Brilliant mistype!

Margsus Sun 10-Apr-16 15:17:02

Maybe baby elephants eat Farleys tusks.....

JudeC Sun 10-Apr-16 15:47:54

My 4 children used to love Milupa 7 Cereals Breakfast, so much so that they used to want it long after they started school! (Have to say it was very yummy grin ) They were so sad when the company stopped production....

Daddima Sun 10-Apr-16 16:01:05

My father always added a tin or two of pureed carrot baby food to his lentil soup, and pureed apple to apple sauce.

I loved the smell of the Heinz egg custard and chocolate pudding, but the taste was a wee bit " soapy".

Elrel Sun 10-Apr-16 16:49:05

Annifrance- Oh yes, puréed apple as an instance sauce with roast park. In the 70s there was a Heinz baby chocolate pudding which I found a teenage boy feeding to the baby on a 'one for you, one for me; one for me, one for you' basis!

Elrel Sun 10-Apr-16 16:50:22

pork not 'park'. GNHQ, pleeese can we have an Edit button?!

Elrel Sun 10-Apr-16 16:51:14

instant sauce ...

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Apr-16 18:02:54

Milupa used to do a dried cereal with berries, JudeC, which I got a bit addicted to. In fact I used to chomp it dry by the spoonful. I was also partial to gripe water....

My cousin was the Farley's baby and appeared on their jars and packs and hoardings in the late 1940s. She was a very bonny baby with massive chubby cheeks (a family trait, one that I and my own DC were all blessed with) and would probably be classed as obese these days smile

shirleyhick Sun 10-Apr-16 22:05:24

I love the baby puddings especially Farley rusks I often treat myself to some.

Badenkate Sun 10-Apr-16 22:43:59

Does anyone remember the wonderful orange juice they used to give young children after the war smile?

Elrel Sun 10-Apr-16 23:23:11

Oh yes, l didn't get it, (too old at 5?) but when we visited my younger cousin my aunt gave me some of his. I thought it was delicious. Some people say they didn't like it.

phizz Mon 11-Apr-16 20:29:12

The mere thought of pureed spinach still makes me heave.

Juggernaut Tue 12-Apr-16 11:07:14

I've just remembered Delrosa rosehip syrup.......lovely!

grannylyn65 Tue 12-Apr-16 12:07:37

The natural source of Vitamin C !!!!

Mulu52 Tue 12-Apr-16 16:40:58

Love reading all these posts... I thought I was alone in buying baby food for me!

Thingmajig Tue 12-Apr-16 20:06:59

I don't think it's made anymore, but I used to buy Heinz pureed apples (for babies obviously) and eat it as apple sauce with pork. Took me ages to like the usual lumpy stuff I have to eat now! smile

Elrel Wed 13-Apr-16 00:55:11

Juggernaut - Mmm, rose hip syrup. Sooo sweet. I think you've just given me an explanation of why I had poor teeth in spite of regular cleaning and the low sugar 1940s diet! I just loved that stuff! I quite liked Virol too.

OliverHoward Thu 26-Nov-20 08:34:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Nov-20 09:07:48

Blimey, this is an old thread! I was just about to post about my cousin the Farley’s baby, and see I already have. grin

Witzend Thu 26-Nov-20 09:12:21

I’ve been known to buy the little pots of Cow and Gate fruit purées and scoff them all myself. They’re delish.
I’m also partial to a Farley’s Rusk, but do try to resist those - I’d eat a whole packet in a day.

Hellogirl1 Thu 26-Nov-20 20:42:19

I never wanted the baby foods, but LOVED Fennings powders, straight from the packet! Oh, and Dinnefords Magnesia, before they changed the recipe.

PaperMonster Thu 26-Nov-20 21:03:24

I tried puréed baby food when I had my jaw broke. Blooming awful! Lived on milky coffee instead!

Nadateturbe Fri 27-Nov-20 07:49:46

Interesting post Nelliemaggs

Franbern Fri 27-Nov-20 10:55:21

Badenkate

Does anyone remember the wonderful orange juice they used to give young children after the war smile?

I do.....I loved this. Very thick, sweet, sickly syruppy. When I was a young teenager I used to babysit a couple of young cousins, and my Aunt always left out a bottle of that syrup for me to have.

Along with the malt that I was also given as a small child, sure this is one of my reasons that I have such weight problems. Back in the 1940's, tubby babies were considered healthy.