Gransnet forums

Chat

40th Birthday Gift - Son

(82 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 08-Jun-16 15:54:52

My son will be 40 in December and I am hoping to get some gift ideas from you please, I don't (well, can't) really spend more than £500. I dont want to ask him for his ideas at the moment as I just know his ideas will be much more expensive than I want to spend. (he has a special way of making me want to tip the contents of my purse into his hands as it is). I have thought of a City Break for him and his wife (we will babysit the 2 GC), a short break, 400 shiny £1 coins or the cash, can any of you help with some more ideas please.

annsixty Wed 08-Jun-16 22:48:13

Absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your largesse. I just don't think it needs be shared. It is a private thing and announcing it smacks of boasting ,or is that just me?

GillT57 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:50:46

Lot of snarky comments in response to a perfectly reasonable question. It is nobodies business how much anyone had or chooses to spend. What about a small piece of art? There are websites selling pieces from up and coming artists which could even be an investment. Obviously you would have to be confident of your son's taste or perhaps enlist his wife/partner to choose? It would be something they could both enjoy and would be a permanent reminder. My parents and my brother did this for my husbands 50th birthday.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jun-16 23:00:33

Yes. Definitely you annsixty. No boasting in the OP. Just a reasonable question.

I'm sorry I can't hink of anything. I would give the cash, along with a woolly-pully from Next. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jun-16 23:00:51

t

Lillie Wed 08-Jun-16 23:08:46

500 is merely a number and kk had to share with us how much she wishes to spend on her s or how else could we make any suggestions?
Maybe a watch, a camera, a coffee machine - something he can look at and remember.

Grannyknot Wed 08-Jun-16 23:09:49

When asking for suggestions for a gift, it is reasonable to also mention a budget. No boasting, just necessary information.

gill that's a nice suggestion, the artwork.

Grannyknot Wed 08-Jun-16 23:10:25

Lillie snap.

grannyactivist Wed 08-Jun-16 23:53:51

What about a professional photography session for him and his family? Otherwise I'd want to make a memory; so a trip to the theatre or a night away in a plush hotel - something like that.

Juliette Thu 09-Jun-16 00:06:39

We bought DS an artwork which reflected one of his interests. Careful thought went into the choosing of it. It now has pride of place in the futility room, his partner didn't seem to be in total agreement with our choice. hmm

harrigran Thu 09-Jun-16 00:42:14

Kateykrunch I think your idea of babysitting for your DS and DIL and arranging the break is a great idea. My parents were gone by my 40th, I don't think I celebrated it.

Coolgran65 Thu 09-Jun-16 00:57:27

Jings the company that made the mug is Abbeyhorn.co.UK

Google Abbeyhorn Soldiers Mug and it'll come up. I got a pale coloured one with a polished finish.

Georgiegirl14 Thu 09-Jun-16 10:02:01

Does it matter how much she wants to spend? I think it's really rude to make these comments when the question was simply any ideas for up to that amount. If you read the post she says he has a way of making her want to "tip her purse" into his hand so there is obviously some reason and I can relate to that.
Let's just come up with some good ideas - and I can use them for my sons 40th next year ??

inishowen Thu 09-Jun-16 10:10:21

We give money to our grown up kids when they need it during the year. We love to help with things for their house etc., As for birthdays we only spend around £50. I think a voucher for a meal is a lovely idea, especially with babysitting thrown in.

Rosina Thu 09-Jun-16 10:13:45

She might well have saved for ages. Why do people make assumptions about the wealth status of others? (And why does it make them cross?) We don't smoke, rarely drink, and don't do expensive holidays. I have two very ancient but nice looking cars that run well but are worthless. These are our choices,and we have spare cash as a result to 'lavish' on our adored children and grandchildren. We buy our GC 100 Premium Bonds each every Christmas as a growing nest egg, together with presents to open (far more interesting) and buy all offspring nice prezzies for occasions. They are incredibly grateful, always, and keep telling us we should spend our money on ourselves. I am not trying to sound like some ghastly Lady Bountiful but I know that people think we are incredibly well off - and we aren't! It's just what you choose to do with your money. How about a 'special day' (I think they may be called 'Red letter' days) for a son's special birthday? There are many exciting things to choose from - there must be something there for everyone.

Tegan Thu 09-Jun-16 10:20:10

It's because she is spending so much on her son that she wants to get it right. No boasting at all imo. Would have been useless to ask for advice and not say how much she planned to spend. She didn't come on here to be shot down sad.

annsixty Thu 09-Jun-16 10:22:19

I have apologised to the OP by PM. I did not mean my remark to be taken in the way it was. I chose my words very badly and I am truly sorry.

Kateykrunch Thu 09-Jun-16 10:25:29

Wow! Like many others I expect, my son is a hard working, low paid, father of two youngers, who doesn't seem to have any spare money for treats after paying his way. I think he deserves a treat and I am comfortable with the maximum I stated and expect to do the same when my daughter reaches the same age. Thank you everyone for some fabulous ideas and I hope more suggests keep rolling in. We are not dripping in wealth, nor bragging about having £500 to spend for a special gift so I am very sorry to have offended some of you but I felt that giving a budget would help with your suggestions (as noted by many posters).

Hattiehelga Thu 09-Jun-16 10:41:43

For our son's 30th we bought him a personalised number plate which he transfers when he buys a new car.Price depends on the initials of course but £500 should be ample.Hope he loves what you decide on

cangran Thu 09-Jun-16 10:59:06

I too have a son turning 40 (in July) and am struggling for ideas for a suitable present. I will be reading everyone's suggestions. My son is single, spends time in London with us (letting his own flat) and some time abroad, so his situation is a little different and he doesn't need 'things' with his current lifestyle. I've just had my 70th - I paid for a short holiday for all the family but my two kids really made it a special time and so I want to do something to make my son's big birthday special too.

Lupatria Thu 09-Jun-16 11:03:14

unfortunately living on a very tight budget i can't give either my children or grandchildren much for their presents - either birthday or christmas.
however i always mark their birthdays with a tenner in their cards - ok it's not much but it's all i can afford.
christmas is slightly difference and i up the price per person to about £25 - again it's all i can afford.
to give them their due, they know that it's all i can afford [my son tells me not to bother but i always do] and appreciate what they're given.
i don't expect expensive presents from them either although my son keeps me supplied with opium [the perfume!!] every christmas which is becoming a family tradition.
i think that you give whatever you can afford which doesn't hurt your budget. if someone has always given expensive presents then they're going to go on giving expensive presents but i come from a family that never spent great loads of money on a present but the presents we were given came with a whole lot of love - and generally chosen with care.

Kateykrunch Thu 09-Jun-16 11:04:39

Hattiehelga, your suggestion made me smile, as his car has just expired!!, so I have lent him mine which has my personallized number plate on - it is a mix of my and hubbys names, I suggested to him this might be embarrassing to drive around in but he said he would get a little sticker to put above the plate that would read 'SON OF' lol
(Well it made me chuckle).

Riverwalk Thu 09-Jun-16 11:17:05

KK what about tickets for a favourite band/singer plus an overnight stay at a nearby hotel.

Humbertbear Thu 09-Jun-16 12:32:44

My son and his wife were 40 within a few weeks of each other and we bought them a day at an expensive spa. If I was going to spend £500 I would definitely consult them first. I usually give vouchers for the dreaded online store these days

Bijou Thu 09-Jun-16 12:34:23

I agree entirely agree with Lupatria a s I am in the same position.

Juggernaut Thu 09-Jun-16 12:56:46

Kateykrunch
Have you thought of a voucher for a 'Red Letter Day' experience?
For our DS's 21st we got him a voucher for a F1 driving day, but there are things to suit all budgets.
DH's best friend turns 60 this weekend, and as he's a keen walker and also an animal lover, we've bought a voucher for him and his wife to go on a Llama trekking day!
To those people who criticise those of us who spend large amounts of money on our families......if we can afford to and we want to, why does anyone have such a problem with it?confused