Gransnet forums

Chat

40th Birthday Gift - Son

(82 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 08-Jun-16 15:54:52

My son will be 40 in December and I am hoping to get some gift ideas from you please, I don't (well, can't) really spend more than £500. I dont want to ask him for his ideas at the moment as I just know his ideas will be much more expensive than I want to spend. (he has a special way of making me want to tip the contents of my purse into his hands as it is). I have thought of a City Break for him and his wife (we will babysit the 2 GC), a short break, 400 shiny £1 coins or the cash, can any of you help with some more ideas please.

Juggernaut Thu 09-Jun-16 23:01:37

millymouge
The Llama trekking day we've booked is in Lancashire, but I think there are quite a few places in this country doing it.
He and his wife won't be riding the llamas, you walk alongside them, and they carry your pack.
They'll be having an afternoon tea after the 'main event' too, he's a 'cakey face' so he'll have fun!
Maggiemaybe
I mentioned that we have booked a Llama trekking day for DH's friend, I wasn't recommending that Kateykrunch did that for her son!

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Jun-16 23:35:39

Right. confused

Pippa000 Fri 10-Jun-16 05:53:14

Katycrunch - I hope your son has a fab birthday, no matter what you get him, I am sure it will be appreciated. My DS & DiL had their 40th weeks apart and we got them a new top of the range tumble dryer, at their request. But I do like the idea of Llama trekking. Perhaps for the next 'big one' grin

suzied Fri 10-Jun-16 07:37:24

Girls are easier to buy special presents for as you can always get jewellery. How about a watch? Or a top of the range mobile phone , something he'll use every day.

YankeeGran Fri 10-Jun-16 08:28:01

However much you can afford, it's surely not about the amount but the thought behind it - or am I being insanely naive for a woman in her 70s?! Our son inherited a box of bits and pieces from my father - nothing of any great value, except for a vintage Hamilton (American) watch which no one seemed able to repair. DS was eager to wear it and asked us if we could find someone in London who might be able to fix it. Searched high and low, in London and throughout the UK on the internet. No luck. The necessary part was simply not available in the UK.

I am nothing if not determined, so I widened my search and found someone in the northwest USA who said he could fix it - for £150. Did I dare trust him/the US postal system, etc and send it? Well it wasn't any good as it was, the website seemed genuine and brief correspondence confirmed a positive feeling, so I took a chance.

Watch repairer delivered as promised and DS was delighted to get his grandfather's working watch for his 40th. He wears it daily, it keeps excellent time and he and loves it!

Kateykrunch Sat 18-Jun-16 17:15:18

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some really good ideas.