Gransnet forums

Chat

Fresh flowers in the house

(94 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 11-Aug-16 07:31:29

I always, always have fresh flowers in the house. Went downstairs this morning and admired the white gladioli and lilac stocks in the vase whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. And the lovely perfume smile flowers

One of my favourite things is to refresh the arrangements halfway through the week, snipping and rearranging, sometimes in a smaller vase.

I will buy flowers from the "reduced" bucket and give them some love, although I am lucky in that we have a wonderful flower seller on our high street.

I realise it's a habit that I picked up from my gran (we'd pick fresh roses together when I was a child), who passed it on to my mother (even when money was tight, she'd always have flowers in the flat we lived in). Now, when I go to my daughter's house, there is always a vase of fresh flowers on her kitchen windowsill.

Do you have fresh flowers in the house?

Mildred Thu 11-Aug-16 10:11:09

When my daughter was doing A level art I had three hydrangea heads quietly drying in a vase on the landing they looked lovely framed by the new curtains I had just made. Returned from work to a slightly smoky house, Daughter had decided to sketch this beautiful composition by candlelight, the hydrangeas had caught fire curtains were slightly smoked stained. I was speechless. She and house were ok thankfully.

NotTooOld Thu 11-Aug-16 10:14:04

I buy supermarket flowers for the house every week, also potted plants. Our garden is mostly grass and shrubs as the soil is terrible but I'm wondering if I could grow flowers for cutting in one of those big trugs on legs? Has anyone done this?

SOF2016 Thu 11-Aug-16 10:18:56

I always have fresh flowers in the bedroom, have done for years now, although it started one time when I was unwell, but just love waking up to seeing them.smile

KatyK Thu 11-Aug-16 10:21:45

I love fresh flowers in the house. Asteromeria (excuse spelling) are my favourites. My sister used to receive a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her husband's workplace every year on her birthday. She used to be furious confused She said fresh flowers make such a mess and her poor husband had to tell his firm to stop delivering them. She could have just accepted them and given them to a neighbour (or me!). Each to their own I suppose.

DotMH1901 Thu 11-Aug-16 10:26:41

No - I don't like flowers in the house at all - never have. My daughter, however, loves having them so at the moment we have two vases full in the living room (we are currently living in one house along with the three grandkiddies until I can sell my house in Kent and we can look for a suitable house with an annex for me). Although DD loves flowers in the house it is me who makes sure they have water and also removes the dead ones so they last longer smile

Neversaydie Thu 11-Aug-16 10:32:15

Yes one of my indulgences Find Aldi and Morrisons really good .Sainsburys expensive and my daughter often gets end of day reduced ones from Tesco which last well .She says Waitrose ones don't last !
At the moment have hydrangeas from the garden. And I sometimes cut roses 'on the turn' for a couple of days. Its stops the petals dropping everywhere and I like that blowsy look . Am I the only person who gets bored when flowers last for weeks and longs to change them?

grannybuy Thu 11-Aug-16 10:36:13

Yes. I am also enjoying the cheap gladioli at this time of year. They are so exotic looking. Bought two reduced bunches in Tesco, 94p each, the other day. I also cut down 'leftovers' and use my crystal rose bowl, or small jugs. Often buy roses in Lidl - good value.

Mildred Thu 11-Aug-16 10:41:51

neversaydie I agree, I had a lovely friend who had silk flowers pretty though they were I would never have them fresh every time for me. They were expensive too.

Tessa101 Thu 11-Aug-16 10:47:17

Always always!!! I love daffodils the first sight of those in the vase reminds me summer is on its way. Then there is tons of varietys to choose the rest of the year

MiniMouse Thu 11-Aug-16 10:52:48

My OH buys a supermarket bunch every couple of weeks.

I like to take plant cuttings from the garden and root them in a small vase, which looks pretty and serves a purpose! It still surprises me how sweet the humble privet flowers look in a small vase and the scent is lovely and delicate.

tubbygran Thu 11-Aug-16 11:04:41

I always have fresh flowers, even if only a small vase. I'm pleased to say that both of my daughters do the same.

Grannyknot Thu 11-Aug-16 11:08:06

lully I do the "bits and bobs" thing too - including using grasses.

I'm enjoying all the responses flowers for all of us.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Aug-16 11:08:58

I've always loved lilies, but couldn't have them in the house until relatively recently as my mother used to say they were unlucky (funeral flowers) and to her they smelt of death shock I'd just nicely got over that when I found out they are toxic to cats.

granjura Thu 11-Aug-16 11:18:27

When I am given or buy (in winter) bouquets of flowers- when they begin to look like past their best- I cut out all the bits which are still nice and replace them in a smaller vase/posy and get another 10 days' joy out of them.

granjura Thu 11-Aug-16 11:21:40

btw are there any flowers you do NOT like? I hate the 'plastic' symetry of carnations (although love wild pinks as they grow here) - and large Chrysanthemum! And those flowers which have been painted fluorescent colours, like heathers in pots- found in French nurseries near the time of All Saints day- yuk!

tanith Thu 11-Aug-16 11:36:04

I rotate about a dozen Orchids I have about the house as they flower they get moved to more prominent position they love to be neglected I've found which suits me.. some I've had for 5yrs plus they don't disappoint.
I do like fresh flowers but don't often buy them for myself but family buy them for me occasionally.

millymouge Thu 11-Aug-16 11:43:31

Always have some fresh flowers. Lidi have some lovely ones, roses etc, from £2 a bunch. Last for ages.

gillybob Thu 11-Aug-16 11:45:31

I love daffodils too Tessa101 My DGD (Gracey) calls them "happy yellow flowers" which just about sums them up. Whenever I see them I think of her and smile. I have masses of bulbs in the garden (all sizes and varieties) its just a shame they don't stay around long.

cathyd Thu 11-Aug-16 12:02:27

when I get cut flowers I put them in a vase and sit them on the table. They usually stay there for about three months or so when I get round to binning them. They are dried flowers by then. I have asked my family not to give me flowers now other than a small bunch of Freesias which have a lovely smell, though I'll probably leave them to dry out too before I throw them out!

JackyB Thu 11-Aug-16 12:35:18

We don't have anywhere to actually put flowers. I don't seem to have any shelves so the only place is the floor, which I think is better for flowers anyway, because you are looking at them from the top. Problem: visiting toddlers. Any other suggestions (hang them from the ceiling?)

My mother loves having flowers near the hearth which is the direction she sits looking for 7/8ths of the day. She always has a super display. Her favourites are carnations (a generation thing perhaps?)

Our hearth is either far too hot in the winter, or not a point of focus during the summer months, with the settees turned away from it, facing through the patio doors out into the garden.

I didn't realise there was a skill to arranging flowers - although professionals really do do amazing things. But a bunch of flowers in a vase - pimped with some greenery from the garden - heck, even I can manage that. Rules we learned at school: The proportion of the visible length of the flowers to the height of the vase should not be more than 1:2, don't mix too many colours.

Lots of the old rules have gone by the board, though - these days you can have flowers even shorter than the vase - with their heads below the rim, provided it's a glass vase. Ikebana-like, you can have a small bunch of short flowers and one long one sticking out.

Whatever next?

Don't like: Gerbera.

Actually, I don't like glass vases either, it seems indecent to see the bare stems going all slimy in the water.

BRedhead59 Thu 11-Aug-16 12:52:54

For their 60th wedding anniversary my FIL bought fresh flowers for MIL weekly for life - sweetie.

Armynanny Thu 11-Aug-16 13:07:08

I love flowers and do buy them for myself most weeks. It cheers me up seeing them. Usually buy them for Lidl or Tesco and only spend a couple of £'s

Mildred Thu 11-Aug-16 13:10:25

My favourite are anemones, but I remember street flower sellers when I was young and they used to sell black sweet smelling violets, reading this thread and the thread on grandmothers reminded me of them, not seen them for years anyone else remember them? Or even grow them?

oldgaijin Thu 11-Aug-16 13:17:24

A few fresh flowers in a vase with some lovely fresh herbs...mint/camomile/lemon balm/lavendar gives a room a delicious smell, especially if you have a windy dog/husband.

granjura Thu 11-Aug-16 13:55:12

Always have a big bouquet of mixed mints (melissa, garden min, pineapple mint, apple mint and spearmint by the kitchen door - to stop flies coming in. In fact- will go and replace now. Excuse me.