Gransnet forums

Chat

Fresh flowers in the house

(94 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 11-Aug-16 07:31:29

I always, always have fresh flowers in the house. Went downstairs this morning and admired the white gladioli and lilac stocks in the vase whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. And the lovely perfume smile flowers

One of my favourite things is to refresh the arrangements halfway through the week, snipping and rearranging, sometimes in a smaller vase.

I will buy flowers from the "reduced" bucket and give them some love, although I am lucky in that we have a wonderful flower seller on our high street.

I realise it's a habit that I picked up from my gran (we'd pick fresh roses together when I was a child), who passed it on to my mother (even when money was tight, she'd always have flowers in the flat we lived in). Now, when I go to my daughter's house, there is always a vase of fresh flowers on her kitchen windowsill.

Do you have fresh flowers in the house?

gillybob Thu 11-Aug-16 14:03:34

Oh that's a good tip granjura I grow a lot of various types of mint in boxes so will give it a try. I love to have my big doors open but hate the flies.

Liz46 Thu 11-Aug-16 14:26:40

I must be an oddity as I do not like cut flowers in a vase. I grow lots of flowering plants and prefer them.

My daughter sent me a huge bunch of flowers once and it must have cost her a fortune. They were awful. Some of the flowers were dying when they arrived.

Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 15:21:49

I love to have flowers in the house too. Sometimes I pick from the Garden, but I don't like to rob it. We have an Aldi nearby and I find their flowers are reasonably priced, and they do seem to keep well. I have to be careful what I buy as I am allergic to many, but usually manage to find something

Disgruntled Thu 11-Aug-16 15:36:40

Granjura I do that too, snipping their stalks - a florist once told me to change the water every day and snip a bit off and that will make the, last longer. If I won the lottery I'd have fresh flowers in every room all the time - bliss.
I don't like chrysanthemums or "garage carnations" or those weird, dyed ones.

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Aug-16 15:43:37

I'm another one who loves fresh flowers in the house. When I was younger I could never bring myself to buy some for me but always bought for others. Older and wiser I've no such hesitation these days and the old boy sometimes brings some home as a surprise.....It's only taken 40+ years for him to realise how much I like them hmm

Dharmacat Thu 11-Aug-16 15:51:51

Adore all fresh flowers and flowering indoor plants BUT please remember that all varieties of the Lily family (and several other species well listed on Google) are extremely toxic to cats - all parts of the plant but especially if they rub against the stamens and then lick the pollen off their fur. Apparently fatal and no known antidote.
Lived "cat-free" for two years and enjoyed the perfume of lilies both indoor and out, but then was seduced by a large-eyed beautiful tabby demanding re-homing, so had to dig out all lilies. As she sometimes nibble plant leaves I have had to check the poison list and ban certain other plants from windowsills and tables.
Strangely , Alstromeria are not true lilies and cat-friendly.

CK4260 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:59:41

I once promised myself that if I ever got to the stage in life where I could afford it the two luxuries I would allow myself at home would be 1) fresh flowers always in the house and 2) clean sheets on the bed every day as I just adore getting into a freshly made bed!! Thanks to low cost supermarket flowers in winter, and now growing my own flowers on the allotment I now have the first luxury (have literally just finished arranging two vases of brightly coloured dahlias). Some how though I don't think the clean sheets on the bed every day will ever be achieved, as I can't be bothered to do it myself and a daily home help would be exorbitant...unless the premium bonds come up trumps, you never know!!!

So yes Grannknot I'm definitely with you on the flowers. I don't have a daughter, but perhaps I can influence my 20 month old granddaughter over the coming years.

Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 16:00:52

I love the Lillies too, and odly enough they are something I am not allergic too even though they are so highly sensitive. I used to have cats though and never had them at that time. Alstomeria are beautiful and one of my fave flowers.

chicken Thu 11-Aug-16 16:17:35

I love alstromeria, lovely colours and they last for ages. I buy some every week, my one special treat. There are vases of flowers all over the house, even in the bathroom. Can't abide chrysanthemums, they make me think of funerals and the leaves go brown and crinkly before the flowers. This year I grew several rows of gladioli in the veg garden where I can cut bunches without spoiling the look of a flower border. Re growing things in Veg Trugs, I've found it very successful for both flowers and vegetables. I mix them up in each trug so that they are both pretty and useful--for the first time , I've had had fantastic carrots with no damage from carrot fly.

GrannyBing Thu 11-Aug-16 16:29:37

I do buy fresh flowers occasionally as a treat but avoid those that look artificially brightly dyed or are in a bunch of clashing colours. I like single colours or similar shades. Best of all I love if someone buys me flowers, then I don't mind what colour they are. Sadly, a very rare occurrence these days!

SueDonim Thu 11-Aug-16 16:30:13

I don't always have flowers in the house but I have them as often as possible. I have some lilies at the moment for the first time in years, because we no longer have a cat. Though I'd rather have our cat than lilies. sad

After clearing away the Christmas decorations, the first thing I do is go and buy some daffodils for the house. I usually pot up some daffs and hyacinths for the house too, ready for the post-Xmas period.

Angela1961 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:05:55

Tend not to have fresh flowers / plants in the house as the cat eats them ! I'm always worried certain varieties may be poisonous.

Mildred Thu 11-Aug-16 17:37:46

Friend's cat ate crocus in her garden and was very ill, had to be taken to the vet. Grandson mistook daffodil leaved for spring onions and was sick.

Carol1ne63 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:52:06

I love fresh flowers in the house. I don't have any because we've just come back from holiday so that's put me in mind to buy some when I'm out tomorrow. Thank you. flowers

Grandson2008 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:16:50

I love fresh flowers to in the house can't have certain ones because of my asthma but love carnations 2 for 5 pounds at morrisons and they last lovely colours to. Feel flowers brighten a room

KathyG54 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:33:29

Yes love flowers and buy most weeks DH only buys for birthdays and anniversary which is conveniently valentines as well! My DD also buys herself flowers

grannyactivist Thu 11-Aug-16 19:48:26

I've written before about how much I enjoy having flowers in the house. I usually buy them myself, but occasionally and without prompting the Wonderful Man lives up to his name and treats me to something a bit special. I love scented flowers, but the smell of hyacinths and lilies are a bit overpowering for me: freesias, stocks and scented roses from the garden are a joy, but any cut flowers will do - there's such an amazing variety.

J52 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:57:20

I really don't like chrysanthemums, as was mentioned they are funerial.

I didn't mind them until I read D H Lawrence's short story The Odour of Chrysanthemums. It's about a funeral!

Maranta Thu 11-Aug-16 20:19:53

I buy them occasionally and would do more often if I knew they were grown here. I don't like to think of all the air miles they have done.

Sheilasue Thu 11-Aug-16 20:38:15

I have fresh flowers in our apartment/flat all year round.

trisher Thu 11-Aug-16 21:10:35

Only have flowers if they are bought for me or picked on walks in the country. I like the special feeling when I am given them.
There is always G.B Shaw's comment when he was given some flowers by a woman admirer who noticed he didn't seem very pleased with them. She asked if he didn't like flowers. He replied that he did, and that he was also very fond of children "But I don't cut off their heads and put them in vases."

NotTooOld Thu 11-Aug-16 21:12:47

Chicken - thanks for your comments re growing flowers for cutting in a trug. I will definitely give it a go next year.

I don't like chrysanthemums either because I hate the way the leaves and lower stems go slimy and brown.

Daffodils are my favourite but I won't buy them when they are in the shops too early. This year our local Morrison had them in before Christmas.

Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 23:35:47

My post about the lillies made no sense at all grin. I was multitasking when I typed it!! I just was looking back and thought
Huh??

Bbnan Fri 12-Aug-16 00:12:50

My dh buys flowers each week when shopping........each seasons vary......
It's my treat after 38 yrs of marriage

Neversaydie Fri 12-Aug-16 09:19:48

My next door neighbour-a flower club member-used to call me a 'plonker'as I never really strange flowers Just stick them in a vase and twiddle them round a bit ...
I too love orchids Just the cheap £5 supermarket ones usually but they last for ages .
But you can't beat the variety of seasonal fresh flowers .Like other posters I love it when the early daffodils come into the shops (am Welsh ,which may be a factor)