Gransnet forums

Chat

Kipling bags

(41 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 12-Aug-16 18:12:22

Is anyone a fan of these bags? I'm tempted to treat myself, as I have several leather bags but nowadays I find them rather heavy when I've put all my stuff inside. I like the idea I of a fabric bag, lightweight, can go in the washing machine and hold all my bits and pieces. Some are a bit pricey, but hey, so what!

shandi6570 Fri 12-Aug-16 18:16:03

Yes I love them, although I only have three; bought over 15 years. They are light, have all the pockets you may need whatever size you buy. Buy last year's on E Bay or similar and pay a lot less. Mostly the last year bags are just a different colourway to the current one.smile

shandi6570 Fri 12-Aug-16 18:19:17

PS - Make sure that when/if you talk to the grandchildren that you do NOT say Mr Kipling! Yes, I am guilty and caused much laughter once younger daughter explained to confused grandchild.grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-Aug-16 18:20:17

Yes I loved them for my commute to work. Most come with a long strap as well as shorter ones and lots of pockets .

Alima Fri 12-Aug-16 18:24:09

My favourite type of bag. The last one I bought from Amazon and saved a fair bit. They last well, are light and there are so many colours you will be spoilt for choice.

ninathenana Fri 12-Aug-16 19:06:59

I've just been educated grin

Lovely to look at but shock the prices.

Juggernaut Fri 12-Aug-16 19:10:09

We live fairly close to Cheshire Oaks Outlet, where Kipling have a shop, which I think is a good thing, but DH would disagree!

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 19:32:42

M&S do very smart fabric and leather bags. Much more reasonable. I like them as they are light but seem to hold quite a lot.

Alima Fri 12-Aug-16 19:46:22

Ah, but do M&S give you a free gorilla too Jane10?

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 19:48:10

I especially don't want a soft toy attached to my bag!

Jayh Fri 12-Aug-16 19:53:17

I bought a Hedgren bag in TK Maxx. It is lightweight and has plenty of pockets. No gorilla though.

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 20:00:02

I have been looking on Amazon and only like one of the Kipling bags - well, they are all fine but only one has a zip and flap.
Am quite tempted, but they are expensive for what they are - is it just the name?
I have a small 'Spirit' backpack which is well-made and very useful so I may look for one in a cross-body style.

BBbevan Fri 12-Aug-16 20:12:39

Do they come with a Cherry Bakewell?

Ana Fri 12-Aug-16 20:19:35

Just had a look at Kipling bags - how on earth can they justify such prices? I'd rather have a decent leather bag - and they don't have to be heavy!

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 20:26:15

Apple pie with each bag BBevan

mrsmopp Fri 12-Aug-16 20:37:47

I did look in M&S but didn't see any fabric bags, but then they are scattered all over the store- classic, per una etc, so maybe worth another look. I agree Kipling are pricey for what they are. Perhaps they are 'exceedingly good'?
But that's the kind of thing I'm after. Maybe try eBay or Amazon then I can look for a home for my leather ones.

Pittcity Fri 12-Aug-16 20:39:36

Got mine in TKMAXX for a great price. Room for everything, waterproof and machine washable. The gorilla sucks his thumb too!

Marelli Fri 12-Aug-16 20:52:51

Love Kipling bags! They are so lightweight, washable and easy to see into as well, because the linings are usually pale-coloured. Loads of easily accessible, but secure pockets - and I don't mind the gorilla. He/she can be removed easily enough, anyway. smile

Christinefrance Fri 12-Aug-16 21:22:05

My favourite bags, I have several in different colours. So many useful pockets etc . Often come up at a sale price on good old Amazon.

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:28:50

Amazon can be good for Kipling prices but I find eBay much better. I have 4 in slightly different styles. At the start of the summer I bought a cream Kipling messenger bag listed as used but it was in perfect condition for £7. I never buy them new as they can easily be machine washed. Just check with the seller before buying that all zips are working and that there is no damage.

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:30:17

And I then sell the monkey on eBay for £4 or £5......win win

Marelli Fri 12-Aug-16 21:36:19

This thread has made me go on Ebay....I'm now 'watching' 4 Kipling bags - and I've got 4 already blush

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-16 21:48:33

Never heard of them will now have to go and Google

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:52:09

Just to say I was fortunate to get one for £7, however I've never paid more than about £15. Also, I try to 'watch' until the very end and then make my maximum bid at about 12 seconds left.

mrsmopp Fri 12-Aug-16 23:12:49

Marelli, can you get one for me? A nice cross body one so my hands are free. I will be your friend if you do that. I've never bought anything on eBay.