Gransnet forums

Chat

NZ earthquake

(32 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 14-Nov-16 07:36:19

I'm fairly sure some GNers have family in NZ I hope they are all safe and remain so.
Thoughts are with those who have been affected.

absent Mon 14-Nov-16 19:11:22

I forgot to say thanks for your concern.

hildajenniJ Mon 14-Nov-16 20:31:49

My cousin and his wife live near Christchurch. I haven't heard a word from him, although we are Facebook friends. My sister's and I are the closest family he has. Wouldn't you think he might let us know they are safe? I've been away for the weekend, I'll try to reach them tomorrow.

JessM Mon 14-Nov-16 20:46:54

The worst affected town is Kaikoura hildajenniJ which is some way to the north of Christchurch. Its a well known tourist area for whale watching etc. Currently cut off due to landslides and massive damage to the highway. I don't think any indication that anyone in Christchurch is badly affected.
My son says there is quite a lot of damage in Wellington centre. His building OK but he expressed concern for businesses in buildings that have been damaged.

granjura Mon 14-Nov-16 21:23:21

oh hilda- don't be hard on them- they probably have greater priorities in those times of real emergency sad

GrandmaKT Mon 14-Nov-16 21:26:49

DS2 phoned me when he was woken by the earthquake at midnight (he's in Wellington). He said it went on for a long time and was quite fierce. Everyone who works in the city was told to stay at home on Monday, but he works in the hospital, so went in with all the other staff.
I've just been reading that there is a 30% chance of more quakes!

gillybob Mon 14-Nov-16 21:27:56

Thank goodness you are safe and well Absent smile

Yes it is times like this when you need to cling to those you love and care about. Stay safe and well.