Gransnet forums

Chat

Things without rhyme or reason

(83 Posts)
trisher Mon 05-Dec-16 18:14:29

It's the little things I am talking about. The things for which there seems to be absolutely no reason. The things that irritate you. The things you don't understand. For example I don't understand why when I buy a pack of 2 bras which are supposed to be the same size and just a different colour, one of them fits really well and the other doesn't.
Any more irritants?

Luckygirl Mon 05-Dec-16 18:24:41

Those b****y price stickers that will not come off - I had a beautiful wooden cheese board given to me many years ago and the glue from the sticker has never come off - I have tried everything! It is the same with plastic items like washing up bowls. Grrr.

Linsco56 Mon 05-Dec-16 18:27:52

The "ripen at home" fruit which never ripens, but sits in the bowl brick hard, then overnight turns wrinkly and only fit for birds.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Dec-16 18:34:45

When you buy "still fresh" packs from the supermarket and they stick the label over the cooking instructions! ?

Rinouchka Mon 05-Dec-16 18:41:08

When you think you have picked up a 3 for 2 items( usually food) from somewhere like M&S and you get to the checkout and discover that one of them is not part of the deal, even though all three were in the same section.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Dec-16 18:41:44

Luckygirl you need these sponges. We use a very similar product at work. It removed ancient glue from a door where a notice had been stuck up with sellotape. They are good on all surfaces.

LadyGracie Mon 05-Dec-16 19:54:21

You can also buy 'sticky stuff remover', it works a treat! I get irritated by people dropping litter. DH stacking the dishwasher. DH missing the waste basket. People who can't park! etc etc

JackyB Mon 05-Dec-16 20:08:34

Well, there's always that old chestnut: Where does that teaspoon at the bottom of the washing-up bowl come from?

Luckygirl Mon 05-Dec-16 20:13:43

Thanks for these suggestions folks.

I cannot understand why I keep finding disposable cups at the side of the road - who in their right minds would just chuck these out of the window?

vampirequeen Mon 05-Dec-16 20:21:47

Why, within 24 hours of setting them, do all the clocks in my house tell slightly different times?

Anya Mon 05-Dec-16 21:20:02

Why can you never find that so appropriate birthday card you bought well in advance until you get back from posting the naff-bought-in-haste-replacement.

callgirl1 Mon 05-Dec-16 22:09:05

Whenever we buy a padlock, there are 2 keys, but only one actually works the lock.

ninathenana Mon 05-Dec-16 23:11:21

Anya trisher
So true.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-16 23:48:48

Why do towels get dirty when you've only dried your "clean" hands on them?

Izabella Tue 06-Dec-16 08:53:07

Why, if I drop something on the floor does take a couple of attempts to actually pick it up again!

MissAdventure Tue 06-Dec-16 09:12:54

How do odd socks still occur, when I live on my own, and always put my washing in the laundry basket?

tinaf1 Tue 06-Dec-16 09:25:32

Also why when you've closed the washing machine door and it has just started you turn round and there laying there is that one sock you dropped on the floor

Anniebach Tue 06-Dec-16 10:07:32

Why does plastic buckets, bowls etc ,delivered by courier , have to be packed in very large cardboard boxes stuffed with bubble wrap ,

mcem Tue 06-Dec-16 10:09:12

Yesterday I successfully removed sticky label residue left on washing-up bowl by using nail varnish remover. Rub quickly and rinse off immediately!
Leaving that one item out of the wash is SO annoying!
Buying Christmas cards in January and not being able to find them in December!

KatyK Tue 06-Dec-16 10:10:19

Why, when you have thoroughly searched pockets of clothing before putting them in the washing machine, does the washing come out covered in bits of tissue from one that has obviously escaped your 'thorough' search?

trisher Tue 06-Dec-16 11:26:38

Thanks I love all of these and have one time or another been irritated by them all!!!

JackyB Tue 06-Dec-16 11:34:14

Baby oil is supposed to be good for removing the sticky stuff, too. Perhaps even cooking oil, if you're in the kitchen anyway.

My new washing machine has a button for stopping it not long after you've started a cycle, so that you can add things that got forgotten or fell on the floor first time round. I haven't tested how long the programme has to progress for the machine to refuse to open - presumably when the water exceeds a certain level.

tinaf1 Tue 06-Dec-16 18:34:53

Mine also JB but the machine is in the garage and once it is started I have to wait for ages ( a minute or so grin ) until the door will unlock by then I just want to get back indoors especially when it is cold ,

vampirequeen Tue 06-Dec-16 18:41:18

Why/When do the coat hangers that I hang very carefully...straight and with spaces between....mingle and mash themselves together so that when I lift one out they all want to come.

Christinefrance Tue 06-Dec-16 18:54:28

I can identify with the tissues in the washer, why is it always a dark load too ?

Another irritation is ordering on line, you get to the final bit of completing the order when something goes wrong and you have to start all over again. Quicker than real life shopping not always.