Gransnet forums

Chat

Things without rhyme or reason

(84 Posts)
trisher Mon 05-Dec-16 18:14:29

It's the little things I am talking about. The things for which there seems to be absolutely no reason. The things that irritate you. The things you don't understand. For example I don't understand why when I buy a pack of 2 bras which are supposed to be the same size and just a different colour, one of them fits really well and the other doesn't.
Any more irritants?

trisher Tue 06-Dec-16 19:11:09

Biscuit packs with "pull here" written on them and nothing to pull. You search and search but there isn't anything. You try everything but nothing works, the end is so tightly stuck you can't open it there either. You finish up with broken biscuits!

annodomini Tue 06-Dec-16 19:24:49

Finding that all the birthday cards for boys featured football. My 9-year-old GS must be one in a million - he dislikes football.

shysal Tue 06-Dec-16 19:32:27

I take trouble to put my pants in the laundry the right way out but they always come out of the tumble dryer inside out. I tried starting with them inside out and they stay that way!

Elegran Tue 06-Dec-16 19:34:45

trisher I now cut biscuit packs in half with the serrated bread knife (over a biscuit tin to catch the ones that fall out)

Jalima Tue 06-Dec-16 19:48:09

I always open biscuits packs with the bread knife as well.

When I say always I mean on the rare occasions I buy biscuits. [virtuous]

Lots of the above, particularly coathangers that join together then the clothes fall off into the bottom of the wardrobe.

Why, if you lose an earring, it is one of a favourite more expensive pair that someone special bought for you, and not the cheapie things you bought yourself?

callgirl1 Tue 06-Dec-16 23:44:04

Shysal, I have+ that problem, but with duvet covers. Again, tried putting them in inside out, and that`s how they come out!

vampirequeen Wed 07-Dec-16 08:15:35

Easy to open and reseal cooked meats and cheeses that are actually stuck down with super glue and have to be opened with a knife and therefore can't be resealed.

michellehargreaves Wed 07-Dec-16 10:04:18

And why, when you put duvet covers in the washing machine do they collect every single other thing inside them? I know, I know.....but it's really boring having to fasten every popper on the cover first.

Morgana Wed 07-Dec-16 10:40:29

Why does jewellery dance around at night and get itself all tangled up?!

wilygran Wed 07-Dec-16 10:55:05

I thought it was just me! Now I grit my teeth and queue at Customer Services and complain. I refuse to pay or something that is so clearly a marketing trap for busy people who haven't the time or energy to do so!

Lilyflower Wed 07-Dec-16 10:58:18

When you run for the phone only to find it's someone telling you have had whiplash from an accident that never happened or trying to sell you an oven-clean when you've just done it.

starlily106 Wed 07-Dec-16 11:16:18

My son always piles wet towels on the side of the bath after use. As there is no heating in there the towels remain wet. No matter how many times I tell him to hang them up, he does it. It drives me bonkers.

hulahoop Wed 07-Dec-16 11:17:12

Annodomini I find this my oh hates football doesn't drink so usually ends up with cuddly animal type card my son and grandson both have birthdays in Dec and choice is rubbish I know I should get them sooner done it but forgot where I had put them ?

JackyB Wed 07-Dec-16 11:56:39

My husband comes home from his keep fit every Monday evening and takes everything upstairs (wet towel, used gym kit) and drapes them all around the bathroom.

Our washing machine is in the cellar. So I have to traipse up after him, and undrape them and take them downstairs.

I have explained to him that he needn't take them upstairs as they only have to go straight back down, but every week it's the same.angry

ExaltedWombat Wed 07-Dec-16 12:28:21

When you put on a purple bra, your puppies cower in a corner. This is quite normal.

pollyperkins Wed 07-Dec-16 13:14:23

ApArt from te purple bra i have experienced all of these! Esp the tissue in the dark wash. Made me chuckle.

Elenkalubleton Wed 07-Dec-16 13:18:16

Nail varnish remover will get rid of sticky labels.Ive got a thing about coar hangers drive me mad ?!!!

yggdrasil Wed 07-Dec-16 13:24:23

Re coathangers:

You should read the story "Or All the Seas with Oysters" by Avram Davidson to find out the truth about them.

annodomini Wed 07-Dec-16 13:41:13

Bottle tops that are safe for children but impossible for grannies. I am thinking of bleach bottles. I took two to Waitrose today, having struggled in vain to grip and twist at the same time. The very kind lady at Customer Services did the job for me. Next time, I will have them opened before I leave the store.

Sleepyamber Wed 07-Dec-16 13:58:15

Have you tried white spirit

VIOLETTE Wed 07-Dec-16 14:29:58

Bottles of water packed in plastic six packs that you have to attach with a Stanley knife to get at ,,,,then split the side of one of the bottles ,,,,aargh !

VIOLETTE Wed 07-Dec-16 14:30:19

attack ...not attach !!!!!

Jalima Wed 07-Dec-16 15:03:37

This is a great thread.
I realise that I am not alone in struggling with these things grin
although I don't have a purple bra (how exotic!)

and DH is good at getting sticky labels off most things, he takes it away to the garage and speaks to the spirits or something.

Rosina Wed 07-Dec-16 15:16:09

Try WD40 for your sticky label residue - it usually works.My pet hate is going to the pen pots - we have them upstairs and down - and having to try about six pens before I find one that works. And why am I so stooopid that I replace them in the pot?

Judthepud2 Wed 07-Dec-16 15:18:55

grin Jalima. Would that be the white spirits maybe? grin

I share many of these irritations but find playing the ClassicFM app helps wink

But there is one that infuriates me as a dog and grandchildren owner. Why do people leave their dog poo sitting right BESIDE a dog poo bin, not in it? ?