Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Where you are!

(38 Posts)
Kupari45 Thu 08-Dec-16 13:34:19

Hello Folks, about two years ago I asked you all where you lived. I loved getting the replies and putting a place to a name etc.
Since then we have lots of new Grans join us.
Can we do it again, and tell us how you are spending Christmas.

I live in a village just outside Thirsk, North Yorkshire. If you saw the country vet recently you would see our village.
Just OH and myself for Christmas day this year but the kids are all coming over for Boxing Day. Grumpy OH said oh well I can watch what I like this Christmas day!. Look forward to getting your replies.
Brenda

Teetime Thu 08-Dec-16 14:33:06

I love that area Kupari45 I used to live just outside Leyburn and did some home nursing around Thirsk. We are here in Melton Mowbray now rural and lovely countryside but with all the main facilities nearby although I love the country I think I am quite urban in my need to be with people and have lost of things to do and see- come up there a few times a year for holidays and breaks though.

Shanma Thu 08-Dec-16 14:52:18

I also love that area, My Son and DiL and GD used to live in Bedale until last July, and we spent many good times there. I remember going to the Masham Sheep Fair. I LOVED that day, it was such a great atmosphere, almost like stepping back in time.

We had a lovely Lunch at the Black sheep Brewery, and a very interesting guided tour by a really good guide with a sense of humour.

We live nearer to York, and they have moved so that's not going to happen again sad.

Christmas here? not having it this year, just ignoring it as much as we are able to. Normal day, normal food, the only difference is that I will take the day off work, although I may work on Boxing Day.

Judthepud2 Thu 08-Dec-16 15:01:40

Is there a reason for your ignoring Christmas Shanma? Just wondering, but you don't have to answer.

Judthepud2 Thu 08-Dec-16 15:03:36

I live in a small village 20 miles from Belfast. Big family Christmas on the cards. Ear plugs at the ready ?

LadyGracie Thu 08-Dec-16 15:05:38

I also love that area, we lived in Topcliffe in the early 70's, OH was in the Army Air Corp, we used to shop in Thirsk it was a lovely little town. James Herriot (Alf Wight) was our vet. I passed my driving test in Northallerton, another lovely town.
We now live in Caerphilly, views of mountains out of most windows, we've been in Wales for nearly 30 years.

Pittcity Thu 08-Dec-16 15:09:20

We are in Colchester, North Essex. Children and Grandchildren here for Christmas Day, none of the other days planned for as yet. There is an extra holiday on the day after Boxing Day this year.

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 08-Dec-16 15:10:28

Going to my parents for a gathering of the clans where we will Avoid Talking About Brexit, sigh.

jusnoneed Thu 08-Dec-16 15:14:34

I live in Sherborne, Dorset (though would love to be back in Somerset).
We don't really bother much with Christmas these days, just myself/OH/youngest son here. It's really just like a Sunday.
We don't have contact with eldest son or grandkids.

OH and son go off to the horse racing boxing day.

gillybob Thu 08-Dec-16 16:09:11

North East coast here. I live opposite one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline and a gorgeous sandy beach. Only trouble is it's the North sea and it's bloomin' freezing. [brrrrrr emoticon]

I love Yorkshire too. My DH is from Haworth (Bronte country)

We lost my mum this year and my grandma at the end of last year so this Christmas will be tinged with sadness. although we will be able to sit in my first floor sitting room for the first time in years

nanaK54 Thu 08-Dec-16 16:12:48

I live in very small Kent village not far from Canterbury.

Christmas is being hosted by DS and DDIL, other DS and DDIL will also be there and all four grandchildren- I am really looking forward to it!

Greyduster Thu 08-Dec-16 16:14:28

As some of you will know from the "good morning" post, we live in Sheffield. We are having Christmas lunch this year with DD, SiL, GS and sil's aunt, who would otherwise be on her own. The last time they invited her, Riverdance was on the TV and she insisted that we all sit and watch it. DD says if it's on again this year she will shut herself in the kitchen and get plastered! On Boxing Day, DS and DiL will come down. If the weather is fine we will go out for a walk. Shanma my son used to live in Bedale and now lives just outside York!

Glamorousgray Thu 08-Dec-16 16:15:23

I live in a small Cumbrian village just outside the Lake District National Park. Hoping for a dryer Xmas than last year when the Lake District lived upto its name literally with the horrendous floods. Quiet Xmas as only myself, OH & daughter - no other close family around. So, l suppose like any other Sunday, except I might dress the dog up in a bit of tinselsmile.

Glamorousgray Thu 08-Dec-16 16:17:39

Think that should be drier?tchconfused

callgirl1 Thu 08-Dec-16 17:30:01

We are in Boston, Lincs. I don`t really feel very Christmassy this year, my husband died only 2 months ago, but my children all say that I should still "do" Christmas, so I will, but it will be pretty much understated this year.

Kupari45 Thu 08-Dec-16 17:38:09

Callgirl so sorry to hear about your husband. My daughter died in February so I can imagine how difficult Christmas will be for you.
However we are going to do our best to give her children a happy boxing day.

Swanny Thu 08-Dec-16 17:45:47

I spent my early years in a village just outside Ripon in Yorkshire. I now live near my DS and family in London, having moved several times in between too. Recently my son drove us north and it was moving in a different way to see my old house and school etc, but I'm definitely a townie now grin

Christmas Day the family will be away but I will see them the next day and it will be like having two Christmases. (Where's the Christmas emojis when you want one?)

ninathenana Thu 08-Dec-16 17:56:21

We're on the N Kent coast and our adult son lives with H and I. It's a small town where most families know each other which is not always a good thing. I was born here but H is an "incomer" he's only been here 45 yrs tchgrin
Usually Christmas is just us 3 since my mum went into a home and subsequently died May '14. We might have D and her SO here this year.
We still have crackers, turkey and pud but it's much like any Sunday these days.

JackyB Thu 08-Dec-16 18:17:32

We live in Germany so just to list the differences in Christmas traditions would fill a book.

I do miss the conviviality of my parents' Christmas morning booze-ups, though. These went on for years in those carefree days of the 60s when drinking and smoking weren't looked askance at, and decorations included gaudy crepe paper twiddly things strung across the ceiling.

Nowadays it's just my sister and her mother and a friend or two, but my sister is a great caterer and hostess and always rustles up scrumptious food.

I shall be at home, and, with a bit of luck, the DCs will all be around at some point during the holidays. This very minute I'm at the computer starting to write out a plan for what to eat over the holidays.

And drink!

But not smoke!

chelseababy Thu 08-Dec-16 18:26:40

I'm in Bedford. Just me and OH for Christmas day. An hour in our p cal pub followed by turkey and all the trimmings. (Yes a whole turkey for two!) On Boxing Day we've been invited to friends where the men will go to watch a football match in the afternoon and we will then have another roast dinner (I hope) followed by silly games. The next day visiting OHs mother then on to my mum and stay overnight.

ElaineI Thu 08-Dec-16 18:44:04

We are in a small town in Midlothian. We will be at my DD and SIL in East Lothian with my youngest DD and my Mum. My DS is away at his girlfriend's in Nottingham this year - first time one of my children has been away so it will be strange but we will chat on Skype. DGS is now 3 and very excited this year! He has been poking about in cupboards looking for presents (his Mummy used to do that - still does!). We will have to help DD to be Santa as his Daddy is on cover shift and is working till 3am. We all help with the cooking etc so can be chaotic!
DD, SIL and DGS are going to Weardale I think for Polar express on Friday. Is that near you Kupari? Probably spelt it wrong.
Sorry for your loss Callgirl and Kupari. Will be difficult for you this Christmas > Love to all tchsmile

Kupari45 Thu 08-Dec-16 19:02:08

Hi Elaine
Weardale is about 40 miles from us. Two of the kids in our village are going to The Polar Express this weekend.
Hope you have a lovely Christmas

Brenda

tanith Thu 08-Dec-16 19:05:43

I'm in Ealing W.London, Christmas day lunch at my youngest daughter and her partner just the 4 of us a traditional meal, my son lives abroad so we won't see him or his partner and son. Christmas Day evening will get together with both daughters and some of the grown up grandchildren for Secret Santa. The rest of Christmas will just be OH and I so far but who knows what may come along..

granjura Thu 08-Dec-16 19:08:51

in rural Switzerland on French border. Our daughters will be with in-laws in Ireland and Lancs- and we will be spending Christmas, on 24th here not 25th - at a young Danish couple of friends, their toddler and new baby, and her dad and his GF from Denmark - aabout 40km away and stay in a B&B there so we don't have to drive back. So it will be a fusion of British, Swiss and Danish - a proper European Noël smile

Grannyben Thu 08-Dec-16 19:15:42

Hi everyone, I'm in Lincolnshire, right on the coast with a lovely beach just a five minute walk away.
My mum and I are going to my youngest daughter's for Christmas day so we can spend it with her, her husband and my darling grandson. I will miss my older daughter though who lives away and is spending the day with her partner's family.