Gransnet forums

Chat

George Michael is dead

(48 Posts)
Kacee Sun 25-Dec-16 23:21:13

Dreadful news

VIOLETTE Mon 26-Dec-16 13:46:38

Sad. He brought so much happiness and pleasure to others but never seemed to find it for himself. A reminder to make the most of every moment. RIP

ClaraB Mon 26-Dec-16 14:18:43

I was a huge Wham fan and have all of his music from then and since. We were lucky enough to get tickets to see him at Earls Court on one of his last tours and he was just amazing live. You will be sadly missed George by me and all of your fans.

grannypiper Mon 26-Dec-16 14:33:12

Just so upset by Georges death. It makes me shudder, he and my DH were the spitting image of each other in the 80s and 90s. MY DD works in the hotel across from his home, she says the flowers and candles are incredible and the out pouring of love and grief is heart jerking, the whole village is so upset. R.I.P

shysal Mon 26-Dec-16 15:12:10

Part of DD1's history, I remember all the posters on her wall, I liked them too. Last Christmas is my favourite seasonal song. What a troubled life George had. RIP.
Referring back to Skweek1's post about them being a duo. I seem to remember that Wham was a group including Pepsi, Shirley and possibly others.

KatyK Mon 26-Dec-16 16:29:39

I've just been reading that there was a woman contestant on Deal or No Deal who wanted to win £15,000 for IVF treatment. She didn't win the money and George Michael gave her the £15K. He didn't want anyone to know and this has only come out today, after his death sad

Phoebes Mon 26-Dec-16 18:14:05

So sad and so young! We will miss you George.

bml Mon 26-Dec-16 18:15:53

my kids loved his music way back, but so did I, Last Christmas is one of my favourite songs ever, so sad

Birene Mon 26-Dec-16 18:48:29

Very sad and shocking news. 'Spinning Wheel' is my favourite George song but love the whole Wham! thing too. Now every Christmas when 'Last Christmas' will be played across the nation, as it always is, it will be particularly poignant. By all accounts he was a lovely, kind man who was incredibly generous. RIP George X

Lilyflower Mon 26-Dec-16 20:20:21

We were listening to 'Last christmas' and 'Faith' at seven o'clock as is our wont every year on the 25th and then at bedtime heard the news. Very sad. 53 is too, too young. Poor man was robbed of 30 happy years.

Grandmama Mon 26-Dec-16 20:29:25

I'd never heard of him.

Jalima Mon 26-Dec-16 20:56:07

I can't believe that anyone with DC of certain age has not heard of George Michael.

Sounds of Wham drifting from upstairs were the sounds of the 80s and 90s in our house!

Perhaps it was just girls

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:00:31

Never mind those of us with children - I can't believe that anyone living in the real world had never heard of George Michael - but perhaps Grandmama is very ancient...? grin

rosesarered Mon 26-Dec-16 21:28:17

Or from another country perhaps?

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 21:34:44

Such as Outer Magnolia...? hmm

rosesarered Mon 26-Dec-16 21:49:20

Well, that's a possibility.tchgrin

patriciageegee Mon 26-Dec-16 23:14:12

Loved George Michael and somehow knew he was going to be a massive star when he was written off by everyone who scoffed at him for a lightweight 'pop' star. I'd heard of the deal or no deal thing a while ago and thought it summed up how nice a person he seemed to be despite it kind of illustrating his sadness and isolation. I actually cried when i heard the news today and echo many comments above of his joyful music being part of the soundtrack of our younger lives. God Bless

patriciageegee Tue 27-Dec-16 08:29:42

Just been reading online and the deal or no deal story was no isolated incident. This lovely man has donated millions of pounds to charities and individual people in need secretly and without fuss for a long time..George Michael extraordinary human being

ninathenana Tue 27-Dec-16 12:46:25

I was never a fan but feel for his friends and family.
What I don't understand is the pages and pages plus a pull out section in one newspaper that are devoted to pictures of his life, interviews etc.in todays papers.
Was he really such a huge star ???

nancyma Tue 27-Dec-16 13:55:06

One of my favourite singers. Such an amazing song writer too. I think his music has been the soundtrack to parts of many people's lives. I think he will be remembered for his philanthropy, decency and kindness too. Just put on Club Tropicana and smile and bop a bit.

Luckylegs9 Tue 27-Dec-16 18:20:36

When I heard the news must admit I cried. What a talent and such a kind person. But what an insecure and troubled soul, he lived life on the edge and it was never going to be a long life, drugs ruined his health.

merlotgran Tue 27-Dec-16 22:43:04

Lovely concert on BBC1 at the moment.

bellsisabelle Wed 28-Dec-16 22:46:54

He was a good singer. He was a beautiful man. He had a good heart. He also had a huge measure of success. So why was he so totally unable to control himself? I think I will save my tears for the real unfortunates in this world.