Gransnet forums

Chat

Sorting out paperwork

(49 Posts)
holdthetonic Wed 28-Dec-16 18:07:43

Dear Wise Women.....
Does anyone have any good tips and techniques for dealing with paperwork. I have a pile to get through and no enthusiasm for it. I can file all the usual things like bills, car documents etc - The problem comes with the other things for example: interesting articles, old invitations to a memorable event, nice thank you card.
SO what do you do with the things that don't fit into a category?

Thank you all in advance

Worthingpatchworker Thu 29-Dec-16 12:31:16

What about a beautifully decorated box file for the extraneous things marked 'interesting stuff'. Keeps it neat, tidy and pretty and can be looked through with ease.

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 12:38:23

Not sure about the 'Will I wish I'd kept this 25 years from now?'
Possibly ten years from now is more like it.
I have realised that I have piles of paperwork from the business I had 6 years ago.
I can now throw all of it in recycling with out even tearing the address off each piece of paper and shredding it, as the business no longer exists and the tax man will not be after me any more about it.
Feels liberating just thinking about it, let alone doing it.

MinniesMum Thu 29-Dec-16 13:01:54

Recipes are scanned into the computer and filed on a USB under the heading of the main ingredient. I have a big fat file with wedding invitations, christening and funerals etc which does need a clear out.
I also have a big Christmas book which my aunt gave me when I got married in 1965. All family are listed at the back with their date of birth and, increasingly, these days their date of death. All births are recorded and we keep this book with the family Bible as there is no more room for records in the front. My son loves looking at it and I know he will treasure it. Christmas card lists and what presents we bought for each at the front and clothing size if applicable. Sounds boring but my memory ain't what it used to be and I am very grateful for my Christmas book and all its memories.

Craftycat Thu 29-Dec-16 13:22:15

Paperwork?? It all goes in a carrier bag & if I haven't needed it for a year I shred it. Probably why I was such a rubbish secretary & had to get a job where I had a secretary to organise me|!!

Janet14 Thu 29-Dec-16 13:24:17

Can you scan the memorabilia and file in computer?....a nice idea is to make an online scrapbook with photos, scans of tickets etc which you can choose to print or nothe or just make files on computer to keep them in

nancyma Thu 29-Dec-16 14:02:13

I think digitalising as much as possible is a great idea. Do this for almost everything, back up of course. Got rid of the filing cabinet and have three memory sticks instead ,don't forget backing up !!!

VIOLETTE Thu 29-Dec-16 14:49:30

Oooh I wish I could get rid of mine !!! When I was at work man years ago my boss would phone and ask what I was doing ...and I used to say I was doing the piling ...or sometimes, if I was filing my nails I would say the filing ...unfortunately I am still the same ..for instance I say I don't have time to do it ..whereas in all honesty if I hadn't been wasting two hours on here I could have virtually emptied my filing tray (I say virtually because the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak !)
#I think I should go and make a cup of tea and consider the matter ,,,,,

Grandmama Thu 29-Dec-16 17:29:49

I have some concertina files, each section labelled. But they have gathered dust for a couple of years, paperwork from the last two years is in a large box. The plan is to sort it in the next day or two ready for a fresh start in the new year. I went in the loft yesterday (to check how damp the rafters are on the west side but that's another story) and am dismayed by the clutter up there. Oh dear.

rubylady Thu 29-Dec-16 18:09:12

As long as I don't burn my decree absolute, I might need it to get married again this next year! grin

Legs55 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:56:19

When I downsized again last year (2nd time in 3.5 years) I decided enough was enough & started shredding anything no longer required.

Photos I part sorted & gave our DCs the ones that were really theirs. Kept memory box for DGS, cards, pictures etc.

2 x Memory boxes under bed which I frequentlyoccasionally go through.

Keep all relevant papers in filing boxes although I'm thinking of buying a nice wooden filing cabinet for Lounge. Limited space does make you prioritisegrin

Menopaws Thu 29-Dec-16 20:29:50

Remember clearing out your parents houses and think how your children will see your paperwork, it will mean nothing to them so clear out what you can now while you have control, harsh but fair

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 20:39:38

Strangely enough, some of the paperwork is from my parents' house.
It's in a box about family history, information we would not have had if my parents had thrown everything out.
I have an autograph book which my mother had from during the war. I also have my grandmother's certificate from when she qualified as a teacher, as well as their wedding and birth certificates, and a birthday book which includes dates going back to the early 1800s.
So be careful what you throw away.

J52 Thu 29-Dec-16 21:14:59

My departed MIL kept all manner of paper articles, pamphlets etc. DFIL was a printer and a bit obsessed with the printed word. I had the task of sorting the papers, on their demise.
I went through everything without wearing my reading glasses. I could see enough to sift out important documents, but not enough to be distracted!
Ended up with many black bin bags.

holdthetonic Thu 29-Dec-16 21:15:34

I like the idea of a memory box, I'll give that a go.

As for scanning documents - I can do that on my phone - i have the app ! smile

BTW I have a plastic box of letters and photos from the 1980s and I'm SO pleased I kept it. When an old friend died I was able to find his letters and send them to his parents. Also I"ve managed to track down some old friends because of having the old letters. smile

Thanks for the top tips

Candelle Thu 29-Dec-16 23:58:15

Craftycat, only one carrier bag?!

Marieeliz Fri 30-Dec-16 09:29:54

Alieoxon, so does mine. I am making an effort though, my friend has an open fire and have taken some to burn as using a shredder is slow work. Am trying to get rid of receipts and bills and only keep the latest.

Jan51 Sat 31-Dec-16 08:59:00

After having to clear the loft after my dad died and finding among other things the Christmas and birthday cards we had given him over several years,which had obviously never been looked at again, I have decided not to hoard things. Read that article and bin it, if you really want to keep it scan it into the computer or find it online and bookmark it.. Are you going to look at those invitations etc again? If not why keep them. If it is of no practical use get rid.

Ankers Sat 31-Dec-16 09:05:08

But did keeping those christmas cards and birthday cards, make your dad feel more loved and wanted in life?
My sister does the same sorts of things, and ultimately, it makes her feel more loved, knowing that they are there and exist.

I am not at all saying it is the best way to live for most people, but for some, I think they cope in the best way they know how.

durhamjen Sat 31-Dec-16 09:57:03

There's a problem with scanning things into computers. What happens when your computer needs replacing, or your hard drive goes wrong?
I have a portable hard drive full of photos, but my new computer doesn't want to read them. Fortunately I have lots of other photos, so don't really miss them.

Jalima Sat 31-Dec-16 10:15:45

I agree, djen - I had to put my pc back to factory settings, many photos were on disc but not all and I realised I had lost Christmas card list and addresses etc.

I throw everything into a largish box which has got to be sorted out in the New Year.
When we were sorting through DM's papers (not many i must say) we were intrigued to find some menus, rail tickets etc from when she visited France in the 1930s - so interesting!

You could sort out the most interesting and put them in a scrapbook - they do some nice ones these days - then ditch the rest.

Jalima Sat 31-Dec-16 10:21:28

DH has an autograph book which belonged to his DGM - people didn't just sign their names, they wrote little poems and some did little water colours or sketches.
I could never throw it out and I hope one of the DC keeps it.

I threw out my MIL's handwritten cookery book which I regret. However, it was very tatty and MIL did keep far too much stuff so it was difficult to sort the rubbish from what was precious.

durhamjen Sat 31-Dec-16 10:33:23

I have a cookery book written by my mother. Unfortunately it contains lots of meat and fish recipes, and very few vegetarian ones, although she did try very hard for us.
I think I ought to pass it on to my youngest sister.

Jalima Sat 31-Dec-16 15:26:06

I probably wouldn't have cooked anything from it - all quite fatty and stodgy as some dishes were in those days to fill you up - but it was the careful writing of my MIL and GMIL that was fascinating and the collections of different things.
I still have DM's and MIL's Mrs Beeton's! (shortened version).