Gransnet forums

Chat

What to eat

(56 Posts)
JackyB Mon 13-Feb-17 12:08:32

I'm the opposite. I love my meat and my husband moans if we have too much meat. He prefers fish, or just veggies.

Having said that, you could decide on about 10-12 different dishes which you know he likes and rotate them every two weeks, having your baked potato or risotto with a tiny portion of whatever he has. Men don't notice if the same food crops up again and again. And the extra pots of gravy in the freezer is a good idea, too!

tanith Mon 13-Feb-17 11:45:52

You have full sympathy from one who's DH doesn't eat anything spicy no pasta or rice dishes, doesn't eat veg apart from carrots and peas, likes potatoes any which way thankfully.
So its pies, sausages,stews his with just meat potatoes carrots, onions and gravy, cook lots of veg separately and add to my stews and some days we cook two meals or he cooks himself something like sausage and mash or pie and mash or chips he cooks himself. A very unhealthy diet.

He is a nightmare if we go out somewhere other than a carvery grin but I love him and I'm used to his ways now. Sorry I don't have much advise other than let him do his own or grin and bear it..wink

harrigran Mon 13-Feb-17 11:17:55

He would get seven ready meals from the supermarket to heat in the microwave. There is no joy in cooking for fussy eaters.

Riverwalk Mon 13-Feb-17 11:16:34

You could make and freeze mini pots of gravy and sauces, that way you can both eat the same meal and he can douse his plate as he sees fit.

I know this a foodie thread and I want to keep it 'light' but he sounds like a pain. Even if you're at home and he's at work, it's a chore to be the one who is planning and cooking all meals. Made even worse that he then complains and you 'have words'!

GillT57 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:07:07

Do what my DM did, and buy M & S Liver and Bacon for Dad to save retching as she handled liver!

Sar53 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:04:48

I have been with my OH for 9 years, love him to pieces, but the one thing on which we don't agree, and have the most 'words' over is what to eat.
He is very much a meat and two veg man, and everything has to have gravy. If I make a Shepherds Pie it has to be swimming in gravy, Lasagne cannot be dry. He will eat pasta occasionally under duress, only really likes red meat, will sometimes have chicken. He likes fish but it has to have a sauce.
I eat very little meat so often make him a meal and I have a jacket potato, which he won't eat. He is not a great lover of rice either.
I really struggle with what to give him each day and it is mainly chops, lamb and pork, lasagna, casserole. He likes offal, liver, hearts, kidneys, I cannot stand the smell let alone cook them.
He expects me to cook as I am at home and he is still working but I get so fed up with thinking of something different.
Does anyone else live with someone who is so set in his ways when it comes to food and does anyone have some ideas of different things I could cook.
I should say I used to cook and bake when my girls were at home, many moons ago, but I lived on my own for some time and got out of the habit. I don't enjoy it anymore but needs must.