Gransnet forums

Chat

Puzzled youngster

(44 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 18-Feb-17 18:43:01

Visited a charity shop today which also sold furniture. Spoke to the young man, sales assistant, I said, 'How much is the radiogram?'
It was in lovely condition, - we had one very similar.
He said, 'What's a radiogram?'
Well, it's a bit like your phone or MP3 player, only bigger....
How the world has changed..

Ankers Sat 18-Feb-17 19:07:36

Hasnt it just.
Especially as regards technology.

I still think though that there ought to be flying cars by now! wink

I am half serious actually. I feel like I have been waiting for decades.

Jayanna9040 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:13:53

Too much time spent watching "Back to the Future."?

Ankers Sat 18-Feb-17 19:39:05

Yes! smile

Ana Sat 18-Feb-17 19:50:00

I wouldn't expect anyone under about 50 to know what a radiogram was!

Chewbacca Sat 18-Feb-17 20:02:52

But record players are definitely making a comeback. Their is a shop in my town that buys and sells only vinyl records and they're busy. Plus ads in local papers and shops advertising for both 45s and LPs to buy. I've got loads of LPs. but no record player or radiogram. sad

grannypiper Sun 19-Feb-17 08:04:58

mrsmopp that made me chuckle.It reminded me off the time i got my old record player and records out of the loft and played them for my children, when i turned the record over to play the "B" side they were amazed, they were so used to having cd's and only playing one side. The worst bit was that this was in 1997 it made me feel so old and i was only 29.

ggmarion Sun 19-Feb-17 09:35:32

When oldest dgc were 7 and 8 we got out some of our 78s. DGD gasped and said "Look at the size of those cds" smile

MawBroon Sun 19-Feb-17 09:51:02

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/02/14/self-flying-taxi-transport-passengers-dubai/

Be careful what you wish for!
(I'll stick with walking)

judypark Sun 19-Feb-17 16:36:30

After 82 years the thimble has been replaced on the Monopoly Board as was the iron ?

Ana Sun 19-Feb-17 16:46:42

Oh dear, I do hope the boot doesn't go...

grandMattie Sun 19-Feb-17 17:20:36

My GD asked me "What's a frock?" when I offered to make her one! confused

Tessa101 Sun 19-Feb-17 17:29:42

Sainsburys sell LPs now and they are very popular.

sue1169 Sun 19-Feb-17 17:38:04

My grandson...looking at my old photographs said. " grandma when did the world stop being black&white".....?

inishowen Sun 19-Feb-17 17:40:11

Remember the Fisher Price toy phone? Little ones these days don't know what it is!

callgirl1 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:15:25

A few years back, when my granddaughter was about 9, she saw my daughter putting an LP on the turntable, she said, "That`s a big cd!"

Jaycee5 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:20:00

I used to love playing a old wind up record player of my mother's. She had a record of Danny Kaye doing tongue twisters and one of monologues by Stanley Holloway. Winding it up and pulling the needle back and laying it down without causing scratching made me feel very clever.

starlily106 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:19:27

A few years ago I was talking to some children about what things were like when I was a child. Outside toilet.(plank of wood with a hole in the middle, and the Midden men came to clean it out once a week) no electricity, only gas light, no hot water, food rationing, not many cars, plus lots of other things. One of the children said 'But how did you manage to charge your mobile phones?'

Legs55 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:33:56

inishowen Fisher Price toy phone is still made & available in laces like Argos - still a very popular "pull-along-toy".

Like starlily106 I remember no electricity, outside toilet, few cars. We lived in the country & grew most of our own fruit & veg. Butcher delivered once a week, greengrocer came round in a van, local postmaster delivered groceries & newspapers from his shop. Milk & eggs delivered by local farmer.

No tv until I was 8 & then only BBC1 until a new mast was built for BBC2 & we then got ITV. No phone at home until I was 11, then it was restricted for use as it was for business use primarily (no privacy as it was in the hall)

How did we survive - very happily & healthilygrin

Deedaa Sun 19-Feb-17 20:40:16

Gosh, we didn't get a phone till we were married. My parents got one when I was pregnant and they wanted to keep in touch, and the in laws got one when we moved to Cornwall.

maureen123 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:49:37

A few years ago at the doctors,I was telling him about a rash I get on my legs occasionally,I said "it seems to occur when I go on excursion with my club" he said "what's an excursion," I said "When you go on a charabanc to the seaside" and he said "What's a charabanc". I felt ancient.

Jalima Sun 19-Feb-17 22:57:34

We've got a Fisher Price toy telephone, I found it in TK Maxx three or four years ago.

annodomini Sun 19-Feb-17 23:20:15

One of my grannies had a wind-up gramophone on which we played (ad nauseam) a 78rpm record of 'The Teddy Bears' Picnic and on the flip side, 'Hush Hush Hush Here Comes the Bogey Man' sung by Henry Hall. When 33rpm LPs came on the market, my Dad went out and bought a record player and recordings of several D'Oyley Carte G&S Operas. And that was over 60 years ago!

callgirl1 Mon 20-Feb-17 00:19:38

We`d been married 19 years before we had a phone, and that was only because the house we`d moved into had the connection there already. I was 12 and a half before we had TV.

annemac101 Mon 20-Feb-17 08:56:37

I took my five year old granddaughter to a heritage centre. Lots and lots of items from my youth. Old fashioned shops with proper scales,cash registers etc. While walking in the grounds she came a riyals red telephone box and said, "What's that gran?"
I couldn't believe it! Talk about feeling ancient. I spent most of my teens in a phone box phoning my friends as I didn't have a house phone. She looked at me, only half believing as I started to explain what it was used for.