Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost ! Advice.

(64 Posts)
holdthetonic Wed 08-Mar-17 13:06:29

Yesterday I was given a beautiful booklet to read - I had a quick look at it and then put it down somewhere..... before dashing out.
I thought I'd left it in my study but when I went to read it in the evening it wasn't there. I've looked EVERYWHERE and prayed to St Anthony ! . I"m really upset and irritated with myself. As I was running around a lot yesterday I think I may have accidentally put it in the rubbish which was being collected. Grrrrrr.
What do you do when you lose things ?
This is really eating away at me. (Bizarre!) I can't get another copy of this booklet which makes it all the more upsetting.

Rinouchka Wed 08-Mar-17 13:12:20

Think back as to your movements and actions before you went out yesterday, doing a careful mental flashback. I invariably find what I have lost/mislaid by doing this. It might take a few attempts at remembering the sequence of movements, but might lead you to where you put the booklet. Good Luck!

Auntieflo Wed 08-Mar-17 13:17:49

Well, not the same, but a similar thing. This morning I was skip reading through the Martin Lewis email, all things to do with savings. I read, or at least I thought I had read, about money saving at Waitrose. £7.00 for three or five meat items. As I was out this morning, I decided to go and have a look. Could I find it? No. Came home to properly read my email, can't find it there either. Did I imagine it? Any hints welcomed.

Jalima Wed 08-Mar-17 13:19:25

Yes, I've 'mislaid' a note I made of important dates, reference numbers etc which was next to the diary.
Now I have to phone a friend and ask all over again blush

I think it went out with the recycling (was it DH who 'tidied up'?)

holdthetonic Wed 08-Mar-17 14:02:07

Auntieflo - maybe you accidentally moved the email to junk or trash. I've done that. Search for "Martin Lewis" and hopefully it will appear.

RInouchka - I've written down everything I did yesterday and I really was running around a lot. In and out all day!

I wonder if the Universe is telling me to S L O W down !

Jane10 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:23:04

DH lost his new glasses somewhere in the house and they've never been seen again! Its driven us mad looking for them.

Badenkate Wed 08-Mar-17 14:35:57

auntieflo it's right at the bottom of the email together with the rstaurant offers etc

Badenkate Wed 08-Mar-17 14:37:30

I hope everyone's noticed I've resisted the temptation to mention the sofa wink

vampirequeen Wed 08-Mar-17 15:56:43

Ask the house where it is? I know it sounds daft but the lost item often turns up. Now whether it's because subconsciously I've simply forgotten and then remembered or something more supernatural ....who knows (sings theme from the Twilight Zone) grin

hildajenniJ Wed 08-Mar-17 16:07:54

Last week I bought a house sign for the gate, as nobody knows our house. I kept it in the envelope it came in, and went to DD's for the weekend. When I got back, DH asked me where the casing was. I went to where I left it, it wasn't there. I've turned the house upside down looking for it to no avail. The only thing I can think of is that DH picked it up, not realising what it was, and put it in the recycling.
I've ordered another!

hildajenniJ Wed 08-Mar-17 16:12:04

Sign NOT casing.

thatbags Wed 08-Mar-17 17:27:09

Hmm... so there might be something to be said for being married to someone who never tidies up ?

gotcha, badenkate! wink

Jalima Wed 08-Mar-17 17:29:54

I am off to have a chat with St Anthony.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 08-Mar-17 17:34:59

Try looking for something else altogether; that sometimes works. Today I found my sunhat under the sewing box (how on earth did it get there??) but your booklet wasn't there, unfortunately.

Auntieflo Wed 08-Mar-17 20:57:04

Badenkate, you are a star, thank you. I evidently didn't search down far enough, (but it is in quite small print) ?.
Holdthetonic, it hadn't got as far as the trash can. I will have to go into town tomorrow and have another look.

ginny Wed 08-Mar-17 22:31:30

Has anyone any idea where the keys to our patio doors are?

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Mar-17 22:38:00

I ask the house when I mislay things. It's scary how often it works!

Marydoll Wed 08-Mar-17 23:22:54

I opened new make up, went out, came back and it's totally disappeared. I emptied all the recycling bins, kitchen bin and no sign of it. I can't find it anywhere?
I can't blame DD as she is abroad on holiday. Even At. Anthony can't find out. Am I going mad?

Jalima Wed 08-Mar-17 23:32:17

Well, St Anthony didn't know either.

The recycling went today.

Yorkshiregel Thu 09-Mar-17 09:48:26

Actually sometimes if I go through what I was doing just before I picked 'it' up and trace my steps I usually find what I have lost. If that doesn't work I just say 'Mr Nobody has it' and walk away. It turns up sooner or later.

Last week I spent ages looking for a spare pair of glasses so I could get the lens changed at the opticians. Nowhere to be found, so I stopped looking for them. On Sunday they turned up on my bookshelf! Don't ask where they had been, or how they turned up on a shelf that had been cleared the week before because I do not know the answer to that.

radicalnan Thu 09-Mar-17 09:52:08

Please tell St Anthony that at his recent review, I found his performance lack lustre...............

My fabulous glasses, Dior frames, with diamonds vanished off the face of the earth..........

Skweek1 Thu 09-Mar-17 09:59:39

I panic, then stop and go through every single bag of declutter stuff and it's normally there. That is telling me I really must finish clearing the house. Hope you find it.

polyester57 Thu 09-Mar-17 10:01:07

Yes, exactly, retrace your steps. I find most things. My husband does not have the patience or the self-reflection, he usually blames me!

RAF Thu 09-Mar-17 10:11:32

We lost the keys to the summerhouse and shed, searched absolutely everywhere, eventually had to get the locks redone at a cost of £200. Then six months later, I came across an old glasses case I never use, and the old ones were in there - courtesy of young grandson we think!

GrandmasueUK Thu 09-Mar-17 10:16:48

On a visit to Knock, like a holy Blackpool in Ireland, I bought a card with a prayer on it to St Anthony. I was telling the family about it and opened my bag to show them. It wasn't there but after a quick retrace of my steps I found that I'd left it on the shop counter! This was 20 years ago and I haven't improved, although I still have the card in my purse!