Gransnet forums

Chat

Everything is going up except our income.

(237 Posts)
gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 13:34:06

I take my dad shopping a couple of times a week. He tends to buy the exact same things on a weekly basis. For example;

A small chicken, loaf of his favourite seedy bread, a small tub of Lurpak, a small pack of mince, bananas etc.

We have noticed that the prices for these fairly basic items is rising at an alarming rate and added to recent council tax rises and (his)local authority rents etc. things are becoming very difficult for a lot of people.

I am not retired (probably never will due to changes in rules) but I haven't had a wage rise in over 5 years. My council tax has risen dramatically and I wonder how ordinary people are supposed to make ends meet?

I know they blame Brexit for rising supermarket prices and the increased cost of elderly social care for council tax rises, but I wonder are we all just being conned big style?

mumofmadboys Thu 13-Apr-17 12:43:33

Thanks Rigby.

SueDonim Thu 13-Apr-17 13:02:38

Gillybob I just use Tesco's own Scottish butter, but they also sell British butter. I think they're identical, apart from where it is sourced. Maybe your dad likes that little luxury, though. smile

Norah Thu 13-Apr-17 14:19:02

I love butter on everything, especially kerrygold. Has you Dad tried KG? Lurpak is delicious of course.

gillybob Thu 13-Apr-17 14:26:45

He is just a creature of habit SueDonim and Norah my late mum always bought Lurpak (which she spread so thick you could see impressions of your teeth in it) and so he always does too. To be fair he does little else. He also likes the spreadable type (which I believe is blended) and I am not sure you can get in other brands.

Norah Thu 13-Apr-17 14:34:27

I make mine 'spreadable' by mixing briskly 1/2 portion of butter to 1/2 portion of olive oil. Cuts the cost and cholesterol as well.

SueDonim Thu 13-Apr-17 19:37:13

Little treats are nice to have, aren't they, Gillybob? I like nice soap for my bathroom and so I buy them. Not mega-expensive stuff but more than a bar of carbolic grin and it feels like a luxury.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:41:45

I buy nice soap from TK Maxx [shhhh] hope I'm not advertising!

GillT57 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:50:27

So do I Jalima and really nicely packaged liquid soaps too, if the bottle is especially nice I have been known to refill it with Aldi hand wash! Aldi hand wash is rather nice actually but I do like the lovely french style bottles from TKMaxx.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:53:27

I like Scottish Fine Soaps and they now do a liquid hand wash. Also some handwash made in New Zealand.

SueDonim Thu 13-Apr-17 20:22:00

Thanks for the soap tip!

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Apr-17 00:14:48

I love the TK Maxx soaps too. The only trouble is that some of them are as big as bricks, so you've to leap out of the way when you drop them in the shower, or risk a broken foot. Or perhaps it's just me. blush

Perhaps I should start sawing them in half?