Gransnet forums

Chat

Names never to return?

(331 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 01-Apr-17 22:02:21

I watched a Miss Marple film today, one character was named Lettice, I had a g aunt Lettice, known as Lettie. I just cannot believe this name will be given to a child again.

What is your - it will never come back choice of name?

SueDonim Sat 01-Apr-17 22:12:16

I'm not betting on any names not coming back! A London-based friend says there are Reggies and Elsies and Stanleys on the school roll now.

Another friend has just become a grandma to Wulfric, which I'm guessing might last have been in fashion in about 987AD.

I won't hold my breath for Trevor, though. grin

BBbevan Sat 01-Apr-17 22:12:45

Euphemia would be my choice Although I quite like Effie.

annsixty Sat 01-Apr-17 22:16:27

My aunt Hettie proper name Henrietta and my aunt Sabina never heard it since.I also had an uncle Aston. I will probably remember others but these spring to mind.

Bellanonna Sat 01-Apr-17 22:25:11

I had an Aunt Anastasia and an Uncle Cornelius in Ireland

tanith Sat 01-Apr-17 22:26:13

My sister and my Aunt were both called Gwlythyn it originated in Wales but I can't find any references to it or ever heard it used, I'm pretty sure I won't hear that one again.

Chewbacca Sat 01-Apr-17 22:31:52

Not sure if Ada, Edna or Hortense will come back, although there is an Edith in my GD's school. Wonder if Horace will ?

Anniebach Sat 01-Apr-17 22:34:36

tanith that is unusual, one of my g g grandmothers was named Gwenllian , I will look in my records if births I transcribed see if Gwlythyn is listed, I can't recall it .

I doubt Bertha will come back

SueDonim Sat 01-Apr-17 22:40:55

There's a new housing scheme being built in Perth and that is to be called Bertha Park. I just immediately think of Big Bertha. Apparently, it's named after a Roman camp that is in the area.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Apr-17 22:43:21

I would have said Agnes, but a friend has just called their poor little lass by this name.

Penstemmon Sat 01-Apr-17 22:46:08

DD2 teaching Horace, Betty, Edith in her reception class.

Nobody seemds to be rushing rushing to use my BsiL names: Brian/Trevor

DGS2, aged 4, is Stanley grinand his friend is Arthur.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Apr-17 22:46:52

I know a 5 year old Hettie (yes, Henrietta), and my DGS have friends called Stanley, Arnold and Arthur.

My best guesses for names that have had their day would be things that are fairly common in our generation, like Colin and Keith. Though I do know a baby Jeff, so who can tell?

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Apr-17 22:50:49

Oo, crossed posts, Penstemmon!

tanith Sat 01-Apr-17 22:51:55

Anniebach I'll be interested to hear if you can find anything I never have. I only wish I'd asked my Mother where the name came from and another puzzle is that she and my Aunt, her only sister didn't really get on yet my Mum called her first child after her sister, which I now think is very odd. They were born in the Rhonda Valley if that's any help.
Gwenllian is unusual too never heard it before.

Chewbacca Sat 01-Apr-17 22:53:21

It's interesting that so many of the old names are coming back isn't it. My GS is Samuel and there is a little boy at his play group called Walter. Funny to think that, 50 years or so from now, Sharon, Tracy and Charlene will be considered "old fashioned" and may make a come back

Badenkate Sat 01-Apr-17 22:54:19

My grandmother's name was Gertrude. Now I'm going to be REALLY surprised if that name comes around again!

Katek Sat 01-Apr-17 22:56:20

I know of a Matilda, Alfie, Albert, Arthur, Florence and Penny.-all 5 and under.,

tanith Sat 01-Apr-17 22:56:46

My son and nephew are both Samuel another nephew just born is George Alan and a niece is Elsie Rose.

callgirl1 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:58:08

I haven`t come across a Hilda for quite a while, the last one I knew was my auntie.

Penstemmon Sat 01-Apr-17 23:09:29

Vera and Joyce ??

mumofmadboys Sat 01-Apr-17 23:14:01

Muriel and Gladys?

Anniebach Sat 01-Apr-17 23:14:59

tanith, Rhondda is a great help, a South Wales name , will try

Anniebach Sat 01-Apr-17 23:17:00

I too doubt Gladys will come back

Chewbacca Sat 01-Apr-17 23:22:30

I think Vera may come back. The TV programme Vera has brought the name back into the public eye, bet it won't be long before there's a resurgence of little Vera's in playschool!

Bellanonna Sat 01-Apr-17 23:30:20

DD knows of two little Mabels. That surprised me.