Gransnet forums

Chat

When you really start to notice weaknesses that have been creeping up on you.

(53 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 05-Apr-17 12:37:09

My washing machine has conked out and the new one won't be arriving until Friday so I washed out a few things by hand this morning. No probs with the washing but when I tried to wring them out I realised it's not just unscrewing tops of jars and bottles that has now become a problem.

Fortunately, it's a nice blowy which is just as well because I'm looking at more than just a few drips cascading out of my PJs onto the lawn.

As if that wasn't bad enough I then decided to water in a few plants at the far end of a border using the watering can as I CBA to unwind the hose.

I didn't grip the handle tightly enough and managed to water my left leg at the precise moment the postman arrived. hmm

If he sees us in the garden he reverses down the drive and hands the post through the van window so there was no concealing my soggy jeans.

blush blush

He probably didn't believe a word of my explanation.

MawBroon Wed 05-Apr-17 13:59:13

gringrin
Bit of a Tena lady moment??

Actually I so agree. I have been kidding myself I am really good for my age and then DGD (2 1/2) wanted me to "skip" home from the swings with her and I couldn't!

gillybob Wed 05-Apr-17 14:02:15

I have got very weak wrists merlotgran so I totally sympathise with you. I have a small kitchen so have to stack my pans one inside the other making it very hard for me to get one out from the bottom of the stack whilst supporting the weight of the others. I have lost count of the amount of times my wrist has totally "give way" resulting in a stack of pans crashing down onto the tiled floor. It sounds like the house has fell down! I do it so often that DH doesn't even bother to investigate the crash.

Your postman has probably seen a lot worse than a lady who, didn't quite make it in time watered her own leg with the watering can. grin

Greyduster Wed 05-Apr-17 19:26:04

Same problem here, Merlot. I have noticed recently that I can't grip things like I used to, and my fine pinch grip is getting worse too. My fingers just don't work like they used to. When I go fishing, it takes me ages to tie on a fly, or tie a knot of any kind. And things seem to slip through my fingers with remarkable ease and regulatory, especially in the kitchen. But hey, I count myself lucky that these are only minor irritations.

aggie Wed 05-Apr-17 19:30:18

My fingers were getting increasingly numb , kept putting off seeing about them . I had carpal tunnel op on both hands , but sadly , I have left it too late and no improvement , nothing stays in my grip and it is soooooooo irritating

TillyWhiz Thu 06-Apr-17 10:14:52

My husband used to be a postman - when delivering the post one day, he came across a lady sunbathing nude on her lawn - before he quickly averted his eyes, he noticed her trying to bury herself in the grass! He saw so many people in dodgy pjs and nighties, with their bits showing, that it was just a way of life. So no worries about a watering can mishap!

Lindaloulabel Thu 06-Apr-17 10:20:54

That made me smile.....
Don't worry about the postie both my daughter and son in law are posties and could write a book.....lol
??

radicalnan Thu 06-Apr-17 10:25:38

My mum once got out of the bath and was half way down the stairs when she realised someone was knocking, she had left the money for the bread man on the kitchen table and a note on door saying 'come in and collect money'..........fearing being caught in just a bath towel she nipped into cupboard under the stairs and was surprised when the door opened and there was the man who had come to empty the meter..........

Riverwalk Thu 06-Apr-17 10:28:38

I remember seeing an interview with a milkman - when calling for his money on a Friday a lady use to approach her frosted-glass front door totally naked. She would open the door slightly and tilt her head to the side and say hello then hand the money.

He said the only bit of her body that wasn't visible was her neck behind the wood surround! grin

Legs55 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:39:06

this post has made me chuckle, I have to remember to put something on when I get up as my hall window has a blind which is only half way downblush. Anyone coming to my front door has to walk past it & can see straight into my kitchen. My lounge has blinds on 4 windows which I rarely close, I don't want to "frighten the horses", I'm not a pretty sight naked (birthday suite needs ironing)grin

Gaggi3 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:55:04

A colleague once told me of the classic (middle of the) day when both she and her DH were in bed with 'flu and the window cleaner appeared.?

CaliBoingo Thu 06-Apr-17 10:55:45

These are great stories! I used to hate greeting the postie in my pyjamas, but eventually got over that. A few months ago I had to answer his knock whilst I was colouring my hair. The dye was cherry red, and my hair is long, so my old shirt and jeans were splattered like a crime scene. I felt like a member of the Manson family. He just laughed!

funstr Thu 06-Apr-17 11:05:16

my husband loves a bath every day. when he worked shifts he had habit of coming home from work, running the bath, getting undressed then popping into living room to catch up on tv news/read post etc while bath was filling. (it fills slowly). sometimes naked, mostly with just his pants/boxers on. we are luckily not overlooked. i kept telling him make sure you lock front door and/or put leggings on as one day he would get caught out by postie or visitor. as i'm disabled in the morning a lot of my friends and nurses just knock door then come in calling out to me. gives me chance if im not decent to say wait a mo. even one of my posties opens door and slides any parcel/large envelope into hall as he knows i find it difficult to get to door quickly.(i tend to lock door in afternoon as not expecting anyone). one day i had one of my usual hospital appointments so was collected early, hubby came home, didnt lock door, did usual bath routine. my nurse popped in when passing to check on me, forgot i had hospital. i came home to find a very embarrassed husband. he said he was stood in front of tv naked watching weather report while bath was filling, living room door opened, he looked up and saw a stranger stood there staring at him. all he had to cover himself was remote control. (more than adequate smile ) after moment of silence he told me she asked if i was ok and home as she was a day early for injections. he said no i was at hospital, she turned around and left saying tell her i'll be back fri. he was mortified. when i came home he was also annoyed. especially when i couldnt stop laughing. he now locks door/wears leggings. i apologized to nurse when next saw her, she said its fine, seen a lot worse, said the expression and shock on his face was the funniest thing.

gillybob Thu 06-Apr-17 11:33:42

Question: Would you ever open the door in your nightie?

Answer: I don't have a door in my nightie, I just tend to lift it up.

grannylyn65 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:34:50

Oh this thread is cheering me up no end !!!
I have 'watered' myself many times grin

JackyB Thu 06-Apr-17 11:41:56

Having a good laugh here. I am reminded of my last day of school. Our head girl invited us all round to her house after school and it was a lovely summer's day and we all paraded through the house into the garden. Her neighbour was sunbathing on the lawn in her undies. Must have been quite a surprise when a whole load of sixth formers (boys and girls!) came and looked over the fence, whilst trying not to look as if they were looking over the fence...

Kateykrunch Thu 06-Apr-17 12:03:26

I found it difficult playing 'off ground tig' last week with DGC, couldn't flipping run away fast enough when they were on or run fast enough to tig them when I was on, oh and of course, I had to hold the boobs down while running as well!

Peaseblossom Thu 06-Apr-17 12:19:24

What on earth is "off ground tig"?!

merlotgran Thu 06-Apr-17 12:24:20

Norty gillybob grin

All is not lost. I can still take the top off a bottle of wine

Ana Thu 06-Apr-17 12:30:05

We used to call it 'ticky off-ground'! grin

gillybob Thu 06-Apr-17 12:30:45

Oh come on Peaseblossom. You must know. We used to call it "tiggy on highland" but I think its the same thing.

....and that's all that matters merlot smile

harrigran Thu 06-Apr-17 12:32:46

I am hopeless at jar tops and just lately developed a shake in my hands and now resemble the doddery waitress from Victoria Wood sketch, I end up with more tea in the saucer than in my cup.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:11:17

DGD2 instructed me to 'Hop, Granny, hop'! When I said I couldn't hop she looked at me in astonishment and said 'but it's easy, look, this is how you do it!'.
Oh dear.

My wrist gave way the other day when I was carrying a mug of coffee - it went all over my nice clean floor

I've found a better technique for opening wine bottles, stand the bottle on a work surface and twist the bottle rather than the cap. That's if it has a screw top, for corks we have a device which is getting more difficult to operate these days.

NannaM Thu 06-Apr-17 13:56:19

oh I love this thread! I was thinking this was my own sad little secret - weakened wrists, legs, doing the "turning bottle rather than the cap", all of it!
My action of choice when it comes to opening new jam jars etc, is to tap the side of the cap smartly and firmly on the floor. It seems to work pretty well most times, but the other day with a new mayonnaise jar, I cracked the cap! Haven't had any broken jars yet, touch wood!

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:49:16

I tap round the lid of a new jar with the back of a knife and it seems to work.