Gransnet forums

Chat

When I retire I'm going to...

(76 Posts)
GrandmaKT Sat 08-Apr-17 20:41:03

Does anyone else have a 'bucket list' of things they are going to do when they retire? I'm not talking about the biggies here, like Climb the Himalayas or do a parachute jump. It's just little things that I never seem to get round to and I think "when I retire..."
My list includes:
Clear out the cupboard under the stairs
Give the garden "a good talking to"
Bake cakes
Decorate the bedroom
Clear out the loft
Read the many books I have heaped under my bedside table

Those of you who are already retired - did you ever get round to them?

merlotgran Sat 08-Apr-17 20:47:24

Done 'em all apart from the loft because we don't have one grin

Chewbacca Sat 08-Apr-17 20:52:46

When I retire, I'm going to:
Join the walking group who only meet on a Wednesday morning (whilst I'm at work)
Join the flower arranging group who only meet on a Friday afternoon (ditto)
Join the ceramics class who only meet on a Saturday morning (ditto again)
Paint the bedroom and the room that is laughingly called "the office" because they've not been done in years.
Make more use of my National Trust membership than I currently am able to.
And, if funds allow (and I'm working on it), I would love to get a red BMW convertible so that my friend and I can play "Thelma & Louise" when we are on our days out! Impractical, I know, but it's on "the list".

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-Apr-17 21:09:38

DH retired last year and his bucket list
suggested by me was similar to yours grandmaKT .
A few have been undertaken and even sorted as in the under-stair cupboard.

The loft it was decided by DH to be a winter job.
However the winter has been and gone
so now it has been deemed a summer project.
But hey ho there are plenty of interesting things to be getting on with.

And because DH has taken over the day to day cooking , I am now enjoy baking again.

Wishing you an enjoyable retirementflowers

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-Apr-17 21:12:39

Chewbacca can I be your Louise?
Pleeeseenvy

Chewbacca Sat 08-Apr-17 21:16:19

You certainly can Cherry! The one I went to see today was a beautiful deep burgundy red with cream leather upholstery and 4 seats, so plenty of room for you. I could get it now but it's not really practical for my daily work commute. But I'm dithering!

GrandmaKT Sat 08-Apr-17 21:47:33

Oh Chewbacca, it sounds beautiful! How long til you retire?

Chewbacca Sat 08-Apr-17 21:55:57

Ha! Who knows GrandmaKT, who knows? Every time I get within 18 months of retirement age, the government put it back again. 60, then 62, then 64.5 and now it's 65.5 so I've got another 2.5 years (but it could be put back again). That's why I'm seriously considering getting my bucket list ready now because, at this rate, I'll be too damned old and knackered to do anything when I finally get to retire! grin

GrandmaKT Sat 08-Apr-17 22:01:18

Ha ha! I'm in the same boat. My DH has been retired for 5 years now (he's 9 years older than me) and is having a lovely time playing golf 3 times a week, going to U3A events etc.. I'm convinced that by the time I get to retire I'll spend my retirement looking after him!

tiggypiro Sat 08-Apr-17 22:03:13

Just make sure you get all your jobs done BEFORE you retire as you won't have time afterwards !!

Chewbacca Sat 08-Apr-17 22:30:40

It sucks, doesn't it GrandmaKT? Friends who are just 12 months older than me retired last year, so for being 1 year younger than them, I'm working 3.5 years longer. My other friend (my "Thelma" friend) is just 10 weeks younger than me and her retirement age is 66. Grrrrr!

morethan2 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:34:10

I've been retired for two weeks. My plans are to
Sort out my wardrobes
Clear out both spare rooms
Do the kitchen
Sort the garden
Relax
See more of the family.
Help DiL with children
Have more holidays
The list is endless
So far I have
Recycled one small bag of clothes I estimate I've probably got around 15 more
Had one grandchild for two days midweek
Relaxed. Rather more than I should
Had one holiday. Planned 2 more for later this year
Off to visit relatives later this week.
Relaxed a bit more.
Off to the seaside tommorow and won't have to rush back to get ready for work on Monday.
Think I might be getting used to this retirement lark.

Chewbacca Sat 08-Apr-17 22:38:09

Oh morethan I hope you have a long and happy retirement! Enjoy it all, you've earned it. Lovely time of the year to retire too; with the summer to look forward to. Enjoy! wine

Hopehope Sun 09-Apr-17 00:16:54

I will walk more, write more, and chill more smile

Marydoll Sun 09-Apr-17 07:24:38

I thought that when I retired, I thought would be able to find time for all my hobbies, be able to read all the novels piling up, work in the garden, meet friends, travel etc.etc. Basically chill with lots of free time to do what I like.
I can't find time to do all these things. I'm so busy! I have to say that I reluctantly retired early, due to ill health, but I now am so glad I retired! My husband, fortunately for him, was able to retire early years ago, with a reasonable pension and I used to get mad in the morning, when I went off to work and he went to play golf, now I help him out of the door to golf, just to get time for myself. grin

Bellasnana Sun 09-Apr-17 07:56:38

So many things we had planned for our retirement and were fortunate to fit in some lovely holidays before DH died, but his death has changed things so my bucket list has also altered somewhat .

I, too, have a stack of books waitng to be read, but find it hard to concentrate long enough to read anything. Sad, as I was an avid reader. I also should be fluent in another language by now, but my motivation for so many things has got up and gone.

Basically, I live day to day and don't plan too far ahead any more. It's the only way I can cope.

cornergran Sun 09-Apr-17 07:59:20

bellasnana flowers.

PRINTMISS Sun 09-Apr-17 08:26:36

Best of luck to you all with your dreams, and how lovely to have so many things to look forward to and plan. Everyone says when once they have retired that they do not know how they found time to go to work, which is absolutely true, but the real enjoyment of retirement is being able to take your time doing what you are doing - there is always another day (hopefully) and the pleasure of knowing that no one is looking over your shoulder expecting things to be done.

Izabella Sun 09-Apr-17 08:43:15

I agree with PRINTMISS. It is the time and joy of being able to choose when things get done (or not). Also one of the reasons I have not joined groups. I hate being tied to group times, although I did try one or two and the U3A to start with. Not for me!!!! Too much of a free spirit I think. I am sure you will find yourself busy. Just keep an inner determination not to let others waste your time.

Jayanna9040 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:40:25

Island hopping in Greece, walking in the Himilaya, ziplining in Costa Rica, Terracotta warriors, Northern Lights, Table Mountain, street food in Hanoi, trecking in Patagonia, the beaches of Hawaii, Alaska and Antarctica. So far so good. Australia here I come!

maryhoffman37 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:17:05

I am never going to retire! I hate the very idea. I want to be found dead at my keyboard.

Lona Sun 09-Apr-17 10:17:45

No bucket list for me. I've been retired for ten years and after five years of family upset I'm now just drifting happily.
Yesterday, a friend whisked me off in her top down sports car, through the countryside to a lovely converted barn, where we sat outside, in the sunshine, and had a leisurely lunch.
I'm counting my blessings smilesunshine

Theoddbird Sun 09-Apr-17 10:36:20

I am starting a big adventure for my retirement which means a massive clearing out. I have bought a narrow boat and will be living on her from mid May. Must get back to my clearing out...hahaha

W11girl Sun 09-Apr-17 10:48:20

GrandmaTK - Yes and much more! You will find you have more than enough to do between housework, hobbies and interests...not to mention those all important city breaks and holidays....any time you like! Never a dull moment with me!

Carolebarrel Sun 09-Apr-17 11:00:17

What a great selection of responses! All those lofts and cupboards to be cleared - for me it's my two sheds. I don't retire for three years, but desperately want to cut my hours from five to four days if my boss will go for it! Anyone know how this affects pension/n.i.? Personally I can't wait until I'm 65 years and 9months old! Happy retirement to us all.