Gransnet forums

Chat

Contemplation

(27 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 10-Apr-17 15:29:24

Most of the time when I'm reflecting, contemplating or planning I sit with my eyes shut. Whether it's the weeks menue or what to do with that 5M lotto win, I find it easier to concentrate. H often thinks I'm sleeping grin
I don't always realise but I find myself doing it when talking on the phone to friends or D too blush
Any one else, or am I wierd ?

yggdrasil Mon 10-Apr-17 15:48:16

You are weird. wink If I did that I'd fall asleep

grannylyn65 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:49:20

grin

shysal Mon 10-Apr-17 16:03:17

It is not something I do!
I go walking with somebody who stands still when she is thinking! We make slow progress. It is just as annoying as a hairdresser who stops work with comb in the air to hold a conversation. smile

ninathenana Mon 10-Apr-17 16:58:00

Ah well, it's confirmed then. I'm sure D would agree with you grin

nanaK54 Mon 10-Apr-17 17:00:35

sorry ninathenana definitely weird - but in the nicest possible way smile

cornergran Mon 10-Apr-17 17:58:42

I often do it on the phone, oh well, weirdness confirmed smile.

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:23:03

I find it easier to concentrate deeply with my eyes closed! So can I join your club? ?

Greyduster Mon 10-Apr-17 18:45:47

I just stare into space. DH knows not to disturb me!

M0nica Tue 11-Apr-17 07:57:48

ninathenana I am another 'weirdo'.I often close my eyes when doing almost anything that does not require sight. Not just thinking and planning, if I am walking round the house in the dark (can't be bothered to turn lights on in a room I am only walking through) I also shut my eyes. It reduces distractions so that I can concentrate and also enables me to see things in my mind's eye.

ninathenana Tue 11-Apr-17 09:38:15

Horray for us weirdos MOnica that's exactly what I meant.smile
If I do it when talking on the phone, I can picture them in the same room as me rather than miles away.

Caro1954 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:00:16

Oh, I thought everybody closed their eyes like this?!

Chicklette Tue 11-Apr-17 10:00:52

I'm with you Nina and M0nica, I close my eyes as it tunes out distractions. Definitely when I'm on the phone or thinking, and I do a lot of my yoga practice with my eyes closed so I can concentrate on what my body is doing. We're not the weird ones ?

opalyo Tue 11-Apr-17 13:38:56

I stick my tongue out. I think closing your eyes is much nicer.grin

opalyo Tue 11-Apr-17 13:41:09

Ha, sorry about that. I am new to this and forgot the brackets.confused.

pollyperkins Tue 11-Apr-17 13:47:02

I sometimes listen to beautiful music with my eyes closed eg at concerts. But I do risknodding off unfortunately!

jocork Tue 11-Apr-17 15:57:43

I stick my tongue out of the corner of my mouth when I concentrate, although I've tried to stop. I had no idea until I took my wedding pics in to work to show colleagues and when they saw the one of me signing the register they said "Oh look,she's got her face on!" My dad did exactly the same thing too so I recognised the look. We all have our little idiosyncrasies I guess.

Marnie Tue 11-Apr-17 16:01:30

I close my eyes lots. Especially while watching University Challenge. I can answer some of the questions then. Many other quiz shows are watched with eyes shut. It certainly stops the distractions

kittylester Tue 11-Apr-17 17:21:12

I also close my eyes nina - something else we have in common!! grin

Deeana1 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:31:04

Ninathenana, my husband does that too. he does it also when I'm talking to him about something serious and I sometimes think it's because he doesn't want to hear what I'm saying, or is bored with the subject, but actually like you, if he's deeply concentrating on anything he closes his eyes.

pauline42 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:35:57

Monica - you aren't weird....... I would think you have found a unique way of just putting yourself into your own comfort zone and cutting out minor distractions, which is probably considered a mild state of meditation. If it makes you feel comfortable then you've probably found an inner support system that "centres" you - I would look upon it as a comforting gift, and certainly not at all weird!

roset Wed 12-Apr-17 13:06:06

I've always closed my eyes when cleaning my teeth.

marionk Wed 12-Apr-17 18:28:23

Not weird, I do a lot of my Pilates class with my eyes closed (not the balancing bits,of course?)

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 19:19:04

No, I don't close my eyes unless asleep. Someone I know does that and also find it weird and disconcerting, I have to "knock" her to make sure she's still alive grin

Caroline123 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:09:40

Very unsettling when you see someone doing this,as I know someone that does! I feel they are trying to 'zone out' from the conversation, the very opposite of concentrating! I also find it very rude tbh.