Gransnet forums

Chat

Privacy of Gransnet

(41 Posts)
Bobbysgirl19 Mon 17-Apr-17 11:25:11

Call me naiive, but I have just realised that anyone can come on here and read the posts without having joined. You only need to join if you want to add a post seemingly.
Thought It was worth a mention (so please don't shoot the messenger) lol, and,I am sure most of you already know this.

A number of other sites I have visited, close private posting areas to members only, which guarantees some privacy at least.

Any thoughts on this?

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 11:33:16

Yes, anyone in the world can read our posts, which is why it's sometimes just as well not to give too much personal detail. I do think most members are aware of this.

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:49:55

Thanks Ana, will be aware of that!

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:24:02

Not just GN
I was on google a couple of weeks ago and a post popped up looking for some family members
I couldn't believe my eyes.
It was my family!
It was a post from ancestry uk and was posted in 2003!
Turned out well for me as I have found some relatives in the US.

A couple of years ago I used to google to find a cousin of my fathers. I wanted to let her know that my father had passed away.
I found her son on google
He had applied successfully for planning permission and it showed up on google

Anything that is on GN can also be read via Google.

Try 'googling' yourself
You maybe surprised what's on google via house sales, planning permission ,company house records etc

petra Mon 17-Apr-17 16:14:55

Bobbysgirl
How do you think that some posts from Mumsnet get into the national papers, because Mumsnet and Gransnet are open forums.
I am horrified sometimes when I see some of the very personnel posts on here and mumsnet when people are obviously unaware the trouble this can cause.
This isn't a private cosy chat room, this information can go worldwide.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:01:08

Something I posted is 'Quote of the week' this week
I await to see if I am quoted in the national press shock

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:09:22

Well,if anybody in the wider world is interested, I am 52 years of age, very tall and slim and rather attractive.We won the lottery last year, and have so much dosh we are almost giving it away.I drive a Ferrari and live in Chelsea.We have four dalmation dogs and a siamese cat ( with a diamond and gold collar.) I am a champion skier, but had to give it up after losing a leg ( went off piste after downing a whole bottle of Bolly.) smile

ninathenana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:11:16

I've been quoted two or three times on GN's FB page.
All innocuous posts thank heavens grin

ninathenana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:12:18

roses grin

Grannyknot Mon 17-Apr-17 17:15:57

The heading of the post should be "Privacy of Gransnet (not)".

Just recently again a new poster gave quite a lot of detail which means the people she is writing about could be identified, plus her username was quite revealing.

I really think that HQ should have a warning note in red or in bold on the Forum home page making sure that people are aware, or state it clearly in the confirmation email on registering.

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:27:01

Roses that was so funny, gave me a good laugh!

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:28:11

But.....but....it's all true! shock

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:28:26

Or is it?

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:35:05

Its sooo grintrue some of us on GN have attended a garden party at Lord and Lady Rose's castle

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:39:09

I can vouch for everything rosesarered has said and for the fact that she is older than me smile

#Lady Jemima Montague-Smyth-Featherstonhaugh

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:43:20

Ah! The garden party and the Christmas party at the castle, wonderful events and Lord Rosesarered still speaks fondly of the lovely ladies who attended our 'do's' , but if course the castle is for our country weekends and our Chelsea mansion is for during the week ( one likes to be in town.)

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:45:18

Yes , I believe I may be two days older than you Lady Jemima.smile so I of course, take precedence at our dinner parties.

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:47:31

I do hope that others will be as open and honest as myself on this thread.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:48:55

Age before beauty smile

Ana Mon 17-Apr-17 18:07:01

roses I sincerely hope you don't have another accident involving a bottle of Bolly - you could be literally legless! shock

petra Mon 17-Apr-17 20:08:55

Roses And there was me thinking that I was the only one on here who 'flaunted' her wealth.
PS.I was actually accused of doing that by a poster.

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 20:52:00

Well Petra if you will admit to having a Rolls and a Merc there is bound to be envy! Rise above it ( and pass the caviare!)

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 20:53:35

Ana.... no problem, I only drink sitting down these days, although I did slither down onto the carpet the other night.

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 20:56:38

Apologies Bobbysgirl for hijacking your thread , and you are right to send a timely reminder ( because it can sometimes be seen as a cosy chat.)
Lord Roses and myself get enough begging letters as it is!

Cunco Mon 17-Apr-17 21:45:09

See you at the garden party at Buck House, Roses.