Gransnet forums

Chat

What was your favourite comic or character

(107 Posts)
Kacee Fri 12-May-17 11:25:08

Inspired by the topper thread. What was your favourite comic when you were younger. Mine was Bunty, used to cut out the doll and clothes from the back page. As I got older I moved on to Jackie which I loved.
Dd used to love the Beano and I still buy her the Annual every year and she is 37 smile

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 21-May-17 19:55:44

Beano, Dandy or Topper whilst younger. The Girl when I got a bit older. Also loved having the Girl Annual at Christmas.

ZumersetGal Sun 21-May-17 08:00:45

Being a tomboy, I read my brother's Beano & Topper. My sister had the Diana & such like but they never appealed to me. I did have the one from Pogels Wood for a while , Pippin was it? But I preferred the actual TV programme . I loved 'Watch With Mother' & 'Lusten With Mother'.

acanthus Sun 14-May-17 20:00:14

'Girl' for me; 'Eagle' for my older brother. I used to read both. In 'Girl' I remember Lettice Leafe and Belle of the Ballet which dear brother always referred to as 'Belly' of the Ballet, just to annoy me. In the 'Eagle' I loved Dan Dare, especially the Mekon and the Treens, and also Harris Tweed inside. I also loved the historical back page stories, although I think they wouldn't pass the Politically Correct criteria now!

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-May-17 19:02:58

Oh, was Princess the small comic book with just one picture story in each? I used to love those.

Bbnan Sun 14-May-17 18:50:45

Adored comics as a child ...got Bunty and Mandy. ..swooped for Judy and Beano ...loved the dolls clothes on the back.....brothers got topper wizard dandy victor hotspur...I read them all.....moved on to jackie and Scarlett letter....then mills and boon. At Christmas a few years ago they brought out a Jackie annual...my sons bought it for me and a cd of Jackie hits...Marc Bolan David Bowie Rod Stewart David Essex Donny Osmond and many more..part 2 folowed the next year still play them in the car great memories!!

goldengirl Sun 14-May-17 17:30:55

I remember Princess but it wasn't my favourite. It's funny how some of us weren't allowed the Beano and the Dandy. I was only allowed them if I was ill! I enjoyed them but preferred the more 'girly' ones. As a teen I went on to New Musical Express!

cassandra264 Sun 14-May-17 17:20:34

Only Bluecat seems to remember Princess - can't remember much about the content of that mag now, sadly - but I do remember a white and yellow plastic daisy bracelet which came free with one issue and which I kept for ages.....!

patriciageegee Sun 14-May-17 16:34:43

Thanks maimeo senior moment resolved lol!

scrapgran Sun 14-May-17 16:32:16

Girl was my favourite mag

Elrel Sun 14-May-17 13:17:01

Saggi - for 6 year old DGS I get a science magazine called WhizzPopBang and (as another poster suggested) subscribed to the RSPB so he'll get their wildlife magazine.

Elrel Sun 14-May-17 13:08:07

Oh yes, Sunny Stories and Chick's Own, one of those had hyphenated words to help reading I think. I wasn't encouraged to read Beano but a friend had it and his mother would give me some every few weeks. Someone else gave me Radio Fun which had a comic strip about Petula Clarke, there was also Film Fun which had an Old Mother Riley strip cartoon.
A friend in her 50s still orders Beano from the newsagent along with the Financial Times!
Does anyone remember a (boys'?) comic with cowboy strip cartoons around 1950? I liked it along with cowboy films with Roy Rogers and his horse Trigger and Gene Autrey. My ambition was to be a lasso twirling cowgirl! Yeah, right!

TriciaF Sun 14-May-17 09:56:38

I've been looking up all these comics and magazines, and it seems that comics specially for girls didn't come out until about the '50s. Before that there were plenty for boys, and adults. And books for boys eg Just William.
Sunny Stories was one exception, I loved those.
Also books by Nancy Breary.

Cherrytree59 Sun 14-May-17 08:22:49

My Gran bought me The Mandy every week

My Dad decided that I needed to read something that was a bit more educational and so he ordered the Look & Learn magazine from our local newsagent.

oldgoat Sun 14-May-17 06:34:13

saggi Your GD might enjoy the RSPB children's magazine which arrives in the post, I think quarterly. You would need to take out a subscription in her name though. My GSs used to love the stories and wildlife activities and getting post actually addressed to them!
My sister and I used to get Knowledge magazine. I still have a stack of them which are, of course, very dated but make interesting reading now, especially the articles on exciting scientific developments - in the late 1950s.

instagran Sat 13-May-17 23:55:13

Started with Sunny Stories then later School Friend and Girl. Loved to read Miriam, Daughter of the Nile which started lifelong love of Egypt. When mum went to town on Saturday mornings I used to join my friend next door to read Beano and Dandy surreptitiously in his greenhouse as these were disapproved of at home!

instagran Sat 13-May-17 23:47:01

Remember started with Sunny Stories then graduated to School Friend and Girl. Parents disapproved of Beano and Dandy so was invited next door on Saturday mornings to join my friend to read his secretly in their greenhouse when mum had gone to the shops. Wasn't really allowed next door as they were a Bad Influence!

Maimeo Sat 13-May-17 23:36:56

* patriciageegee The fourth Mary you couldn't remember was Mary Field! Loved them too

Sweetness1 Sat 13-May-17 23:18:05

Loved the Bunty, brothers had Hotspur Eagle and the Beezer, lived the Numbskulls in the Beezer

Eloethan Sat 13-May-17 22:51:07

My absolute favourite was Bunty - I loved the Four Marys and imagined it would be great fun going to boarding school - in reality I'm sure I would have hated it.

Later I enjoyed Petticoat and Jackie.

I'm sorry I disappointed my Dad in not appreciating the Looks & Learn magazines he used to buy for me.

Bluecat Sat 13-May-17 22:33:00

Harold Hare (I was a proud member of Harold Hare's Pet Club) and then Princess, then Rave and Fabulous (which became Fab208.) My big sister had School Friend, then Valentine. Diana rings a bell but I can't remember anything about it.

Horatia Sat 13-May-17 21:08:57

I liked the Bunty as an occasional treat and especially loved reading about Princess Marina who lived all alone for centuries. She had worn down the stone steps in her palace. I always longed to know what became of her in the story but there were no more Buntys bought for me. Anyone remember?

Shizam Sat 13-May-17 20:57:23

Jackie magazine! Cathy and Claire. Those line-drawn stories where all the girls were thin, blonde and probably gave me all my hang-ups. Pull-out posters of Rod Stewart. Ah memories.

raggymac Sat 13-May-17 20:50:45

I used to get School Friend every week and was a member of the Birthday Club. I won a sewing box on my birthday and still remember how overjoyed I was! It remained in my Mother' house for decades- I don't know what happened to it.
Also when I was about eight I went into hospital where the highlight of my stay was the man who came to read Sunny Stories every week ( on a Thursday I think) I was disappointed when they discharged me on a Wednesday!

Cherrytree59 Sat 13-May-17 19:49:50

Oor Willie and the Broons from the Sunday Post
Still got the annuals in the loft.
My cousin sends me The Broons calendar every year .
I even have a Broons Tea towel and shopper baggrin

mancgirl Sat 13-May-17 19:49:13

Hotspur for oldest brother, beezer for younger brother and bunty for me. Loved it. I remember joining the bunty club and getting a black metal scottie dog and a secret code card. So: G = A, H = B, I = C and so on. The agony of waiting a whole week when the anounced a free gift in the following weeks comic!