Gransnet forums

Chat

Good news and bad

(33 Posts)
Belleringer Sat 20-May-17 19:48:55

First the good news - my younger daughter and her husband got accepted for IVF after trying for a baby for a couple of years. However, they didn't even make it to their first appointment - she found she was pregnant! Early days yet, the baby is due at Christmas, so fingers and everything else tightly crossed.

The bad news - my beloved 3 year old grandson is having major abdominal surgery on Monday. I just can't bear to think of his perfect little body being cut open. I'm sure he will be absolutely fine but I know I won't be able to relax until it is all over.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 20:32:44

That's good for your DD, so that she doesn't have to go through IVF.smile
Come on here and tell us about your little DGS after his op, hope all goes well, am sure it will be.We all worry about them so understand just how you feel.

Luckygirl Sat 20-May-17 21:14:33

Good and bad indeed; but hopefully the surgery will make him better and be a good thing in the long term. Try not to dwell on the surgical details - just think what treat you will take him when he is convalescing and imagine his eyes lighting up. flowers

FarNorth Sat 20-May-17 21:27:59

flowers Belleringer.

Best wishes to all of you.

Jane10 Sat 20-May-17 21:35:47

Oh such good news and such bad news. Congratulations to your DD. I'm sure all will go well for your poor little grandson. What rotten luck. Completely understand how you feel. Best wishes.

hulahoop Sat 20-May-17 22:09:07

Hope all goes well on Monday . Congratulations to your dd .

phoenix Sat 20-May-17 22:10:40

Belleringer, sending every good wish, but although surgery for your grandson might seem bad news, at least we live in a place where he can get the treatment he needs.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for him.

mumofmadboys Sat 20-May-17 22:54:51

Children heal very well. Will it be key hole surgery? Hopefully the scar will barely show. Hope all goes very well.
Fantastic to achieve a natural pregnancy while awaiting IVF.

ninathenana Sun 21-May-17 07:45:09

Wonderful news. I'm very happy for you all. I hope all goes well
I understand how she must feel. We tried for 10 yrs to have a baby. We had just begun to have investigations and H was due to give a sample on the Friday. We found out on the Tuesday I was pregnant.
I also empathise with you re your GS. My youngest has a "tree of life" scar from two open heart surgeries done at a few weeks old. Scars fade, in a few years time you will bearly notice it's there and hopefully the little chap will recover well and lead a happy, healthy life.
Do let us know how it goes flowers

Anya Sun 21-May-17 07:49:13

Everything will go well I'm sure and this time next year you'll have another little one to worry about flowers

morethan2 Sun 21-May-17 07:53:47

Good news indeed. You must all be over the moon. Yes I'd be anxious too for any of my grandchildren if they were having any kind of operation. I was worried when one had to have grommets blush I'm sure it will go well and improve his quality of life. In the meantime you take care. It sounds as if your going to be a busy grandmother. (((((Hug))) for tommorow.

Mapleleaf Sun 21-May-17 08:12:27

flowers Belleringer.

TwiceAsNice Sun 21-May-17 08:17:48

Lovely news for your daughter . I know how you feel about your grandson, my granddaughter had throat surgery at 3 and I remember how frantic I was. She is absolutely fine now and I'm sure he will be too. Plan a treat for when he comes out of hospital and is well enough again.

PRINTMISS Sun 21-May-17 08:20:00

Hope all goes well for them, and be sure to keep us in touch with the latest news.

ginny Sun 21-May-17 08:26:35

Lovely news for your DD .

Speedy recovery to you DGS.

Belleringer Sun 21-May-17 18:53:42

Thank you for all your kindness and good wishes. Hopefully by this time tomorrow we will know that all is well.
mumofmadboys - no , unfortunately they can't do keyhole surgery. He has to have reconstructive surgery of his bladder and ureter in the hope of restoring some function to a kidney that isn't working, and it will need a big incision.
Phoenix you are so right - we are lucky that the treatment was (fairly) instantly available as soon as they discovered what was wrong.We have a lot to be grateful for.
Will hopefully be back tomorrow with good news. 24 hours of nail biting now!

Moneyboss Sun 21-May-17 19:00:14

Will be thinking of your gorgeous grandson tomorrow Belleringer. Sincerely all goes well.

Great news for your DD.

Moneyboss Sun 21-May-17 19:01:10

*Sincerely hope all goes well.

Belleringer Mon 22-May-17 15:02:33

Its over and all went well! My daughter said he was very upset when he came round but is now sleeping. I'm going down to see him on Wednesday and will stay for a few days once he is home to help with the 1 year old who will be wanting to climb all over him!
Thank you all again for your good wishes, I think this is a wonderful system, to be able to share worries and receive reassuring support when there is no one at home to talk to.

nanaK54 Mon 22-May-17 15:10:12

Great news!

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 15:12:34

So pleased. I've been watching this thread for good news.

Cherrytree59 Mon 22-May-17 19:26:51

Yes so pleased for your DGS.
Bet you can't wait to give him a gentle hug. smile

FarNorth Mon 22-May-17 21:22:20

That's wonderful news, Belleringer.

ninathenana Mon 22-May-17 23:55:59

So glad it went well.

Caro1954 Tue 23-May-17 11:47:38

Great news Belleringer!