Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you do that's just not logical?

(35 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 22-May-17 15:01:10

The clock in my car used to be a few minutes fast. I liked that because, whenever I glanced at the clock, I knew I had those few minutes in hand. It didn't matter that I knew what time I'd left the house. I was away from home for several weeks when the clocks went forward this year and I asked my son to keep the car ticking over till I got back. When he picked me up from the airport on my return, in my car, he told me cheerfully that he'd put the hour on and "You'll be pleased to know, mum, I've put the minutes right for you! It was two or three minutes fast!"
Now, when I'm on my way somewhere, I can see the correct time and often feel under pressure. I keep wishing a magic fairy would restore my time cushion but I can't seem to justify doing it myself because....well, because I'd know I'd done it and it wouldn't be the same. How daft is that? ?

Glenfinnan Mon 22-May-17 15:17:42

I'm the same drives my DH mad but I like my car clock to be 4 mins fast! Change it Izzypopbottle it's your car!!

lizzypopbottle Mon 22-May-17 15:21:42

I know Glenfinnan. Will you sneak by one night and do it for me, please? ?

angelab Mon 22-May-17 15:32:30

Me too lizzy, when my DD was small I had all the clocks set to 5 min later than the real time because she left everything til the last minute!

Coolgran65 Mon 22-May-17 16:33:03

Not me but my dh. In the morning he gets out of bed and puts on his watch. Heads to the shower where he takes off his watch. After his shower he puts his watch back on.

I've asked him why he puts on his watch before his shower, he doesn't know !!

Moneyboss Mon 22-May-17 18:34:49

I have my alarm clock set 3 mins fast. Silly I know, but I feel like I'm getting longer in bed.smile

Auntieflo Mon 22-May-17 19:18:34

We still set the alarm, no need really, but DH switches it off, and we go back to sleep. Daft

Hopehope Mon 22-May-17 19:29:45

When my Son lived down south he used to drive to North Yorkshire every weekend to see his then gf, now Wife. I have some cups with Robins on and some with thrushes. If he was on his journey IHAD to use only the thrush one to avoid dire consequences. How daft is that?

grannypiper Mon 22-May-17 20:15:17

As a teenager i could only go to sleep when i had seen the light of the lighthouse on Pladda 7 times, if i woke to go to the loo i had to count again.If it was really stormy and i couldn't see it, i slept just fine !

phoenix Mon 22-May-17 21:06:40

Not me, but my boss today was a classic. The main kitchen had run out of milk for 3.30pm tea break (the fact that someone must have noticed we were getting low, but failed to mention it is another thing).

I went to the fridge in his kitchen when where there was half of a 2 litre carton.

As I was walking out with it, he said "that's no good, it's gone off, why do you think I'm drinking black tea?"

So, why on earth, when he discovered it had gone off, did he just put it back in the fridge?! confused

phoenix Mon 22-May-17 21:08:32

When where??? Grrr, need edit function.

Janetblogs Mon 22-May-17 22:23:02

For some reason I like to watch the click on my bedside table rock round to 00.00
And when commuting I felt much better if I was the only one on the escalator - which actually was more often than you could imagine
I have no idea why I like these little rituals

paddyann Mon 22-May-17 23:12:46

I like all my clocks a wee bit fast too ,though I never set an alarm.When I was very young a friend told me if I knocked on my forehead the number of the hour I wanted to wake at I would .So for 7am I knock 7 times ,if I have an early start at 5am its 5 times etc ....it has never failed me .Its not logical at all ,but it works ..lol

Hopehope Mon 22-May-17 23:57:56

Paddyann I had forgotten about that. I don't knock on my forehead though I bang my head on the pillow an appropriate number of times ( Lightly!), and yes it works every single time. Odd isn't it?

The oddest thing though is that my Husband is profoundly deaf, and obviously does not wear his hearing aids for bed. He cannot hear the alarm clock. I CAN hear but sleep through it lol. He just asks what time I want to be up in the morning, and whatever time he tells himself he wakes up at that time!! no headbanging either smile

ninathenana Tue 23-May-17 00:08:41

Head banging works for me.

H can't understand how when I flick channels during an ad break, I can turn back at exactly the right moment for the next part of what we're watching. I don't understand it either.

Deeana1 Tue 23-May-17 11:02:33

lizzypopbottle , I don't think you're daft at all, because I do exactly the same, and like you if the clock is showing the right time, I feel totally under pressure. I'm such a pedant for good timekeeping , i think that has a lot to do with my stress if I don't keep a few minutes in hand!!

GrandmasueUK Tue 23-May-17 11:10:38

I always leave a little bit in my cup when drinking, which stems from years ago, in case there are tea leaves at the bottom. I actually only drink coffee and use tea bags for other people's tea. My adult daughter does the same with her fruit juice!

EmilyHarburn Tue 23-May-17 11:18:35

I keep my watch a few minutes fast. helps get me out of the house on time for appointments.

Rosina Tue 23-May-17 11:46:41

I have closed my fairly new ironing board by a very awkward method; press release button and them bend right over to floor level, with ironing board slowly folding and weight pulling me down, and then lifted cumbersome and ungainly board from its position flat on the floor to upright to store. Asked OH to close it the other day; he pressed the release button and simply shut the board upright, and then rolled it on the wheels that I have never used into the cupboard. I didn't know whether to kick myself or laugh.

Lilyflower Tue 23-May-17 11:55:42

I am usually not superstitious and I try to be rational but I have to fight off some 'OCD' habits such as, when crossing the road, never walking on a white line but going between them.

pollyperkins Tue 23-May-17 13:42:20

Ive had the habit since i was a child of trying to 'even out' my footsteps ie if I step on a line with my right foot I have to do the same with my left (same for spaces, rugs, different surfaces etc)so my gait can be a nit weird walking on flagstones. It seemed important when I was little but now it annoys me when I realise I'm doing it and I deliberately stop. But still find i do it automatically sometimes! How silly!

Yorkshiregel Tue 23-May-17 15:01:16

I fill all my shelves and wall unit with books. So many I think I am running out of time to read them all! OK I am addicted to books :-)

Yorkshiregel Tue 23-May-17 15:04:42

I have a mobile 'phone, but I never use it. I do not give out the number except to family but I would never know if anyone had 'phoned me because it is always switched off! Why do I bother?

Yorkshiregel Tue 23-May-17 15:09:13

My son, who does not have autism or anything like that, used to touch the door with one hand then touch It with the other before he left the house.

dogsmother Tue 23-May-17 15:30:53

Hilarious!
I do the same with the clock in my car and my alarm in my bedroom. It must say something about our personality although what I'm not certain?!