Gransnet forums

Chat

Now you can be gender fluid !

(63 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 23-May-17 20:21:42

UK's first gender-fluid policeman going by names 'Callum' and 'Abi' - The Telegraph

apple.news/A_gXNN3PZT2C2rVwulKG7mA

So....... you can now choose what gender you want to be depending on the day. I want to understand but I keep ending up back at ' what a load of tosh'!

What are your feelings?

Greyduster Tue 23-May-17 20:45:04

I'm speechless.

Galen Tue 23-May-17 20:50:41

Well! Obviously Galen was male, so, I'm male on here and female otherwise!
Simples

MawBroon Tue 23-May-17 20:55:27

It sounds vaguely biological ????

grumppa Tue 23-May-17 21:43:07

Yuk.

aggie Tue 23-May-17 21:46:54

La La land !!

Luckygirl Tue 23-May-17 22:22:42

Is this fake news?

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-May-17 22:34:43

I don't think so Lucky.

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 23:36:04

My feelings are the same as DCI Neville:
Det Chief Insp Mick Neville said: “Senior officers constantly complain about lack of funding. “But there will always be enough to fill a diversity unit to run crazy schemes like this. “Little wonder the public lose faith in the police.”

So - what happens if Abi is assigned as liaison officer in a sexual assault case and is looking after a vulnerable female then turns up as Callum one day?

Galen Tue 23-May-17 23:59:59

As the mother of a transgender son, I'm completely bewildered

BlueBelle Wed 24-May-17 06:03:40

I started a thread on this last week
They are using the name non binary I m amazed that police forces and schools are jumping on the bandwagon
The two people on the tv interview were known as a Owl and Fox and we're insistent that they were no gender

Christinefrance Wed 24-May-17 07:51:37

I agree with you Jalima, when will officialdom stop trying to be all things to all people, its pathetic. I think its quite demeaning to those people who do have gender issues as well.

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-May-17 08:08:10

This is a step further than the non-binary you started a thread on Bluebelle. This means you can be either a man or a woman and change by the hour !

I totally agree Jalima its a ridiculous situation .

grannypiper Wed 24-May-17 08:09:32

The world is going to hell in a hand cart and we only have ourselves to blame.

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-May-17 08:10:15

Never a truer word spoken Granny

Anya Wed 24-May-17 08:13:30

Don't get your knickers/underpants in a twist about this

merlotgran Wed 24-May-17 08:14:18

So when I feel like chucking my dirty clothes on the floor, leaving the washing up in the sink, leaving a mess in the bathroom and hogging the remote control while ranting at the telly, I can just alter the last two letters of my non-binary name and go for it!

Sounds good to me grin

merlotgran Wed 24-May-17 08:16:36

But that plan has a certain weakness....I'll have change them back again to clean up after myself

MawBroon Wed 24-May-17 08:49:27

I read this in the DT this morning
It comes after the Met’s new commissioner, Cressida Dick, said she wanted diversity to be at the heart of her time in office.
Speaking just after she started the role last month, she said she believed “passionately” that forces should represent the community they serve.

All I can say is that it is not a community I recognise and that I might have hoped that protection of the individual, effective policing and supporting an egalitarian and fairer society might have deserved her "passion" too.

Luckygirl Wed 24-May-17 09:04:59

My DD has a friend who "identifies" as neither or both and has changed her name to something that is neither male nor female - and is indeed not even a name at all!

Transgender I can just about deal with - although I think if we were more tolerant of males/females adopting characteristics associated with the opposite gender, some of the surgery and treatment would cease to be relevant - but this is a st4ep too far and a hell of a waste of Dick's time.

radicalnan Wed 24-May-17 10:04:02

Always enough money for the fad of the day. I see people making themslves a nice living out of this sort of thing and encouraging others, vulnerable people, to identify with them, where is it all headed? People used to manage by just being themselves and getting on with life now there is the need to force the rest of us to notice and be 'aware'. It won't be long before people come up with some extention of this, people will find a way to draw attention to themselves because we reward that behaviour.

There are transgender people with whom I have some sympathy, but I am not sure they are helped by the current perceived wisdoms........just becuse we can drug and butcher people into shape doesn't mean that really helps them.

Time for this nonsense to be put to bed but Dicks won't be the person to do that, she is a fully paid up member of the let's waste time and money brigade.

chrislou Wed 24-May-17 10:12:59

The world has gone mad, it drives me crazy and I don't think it is of any help to young people at all

KatyK Wed 24-May-17 10:19:48

My teenage granddaughter tells me about the gender fluid pupils at her (all girls) school. I don't understand it but she treats it as the norm.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 24-May-17 10:25:52

How sad for those who can't make up their minds who they want to be.Is there nothing better in their lives?
Take a long look at the world around at the sick and the incapacitated who have no options to pick and chose and the word that comes to mind for the 'undecided' is get yourself a bl------y life.

LondonMzFitz Wed 24-May-17 10:52:11

I think the point is "those who can't make up their minds" have decided, and they don't want to define themselves as a gender.

I have a friend who is transgender, the heartache she went through, and I see her now with her family, totally accepting of her, and it makes my heart glad.

If it ain't bothering you, go get yourself a bl----y life and leave 'em in peace.